Nov 11, 2012, 2:29 AM EDT
The number of games the Notre Dame football team has won this season. In case you’re not keeping track, ten is also the number of games Notre Dame has played thus far.
Yep, the Fighting Irish are 10-0.
Barring a crazy turn of circumstances, they will be BCS bound. Perhaps to the party in the desert (Fiesta). Perhaps to the “Granddaddy of Them All” (Rose). But maybe, just maybe, Notre Dame will be headed to Miami – to play for the coveted crystal ball and a chance at its twelfth national championship.
With a 21-6 win at Boston College on Saturday night, the Fighting Irish moved to within two victories of completing an undefeated regular season.
And with “Johnny Football” and the Aggies stunning #1 Alabama at Bryant-Denny Stadium, down fell a major hurdle standing between Notre Dame and a spot in the BCS title game.
Pretty amazing – especially when you consider how, back in August, some of the “experts” were suggesting 8-4 and a return to Yankee Stadium (Pinstripe Bowl) might be the most likely scenario.
It hasn’t always been pretty. It certainly wasn’t always pretty this evening, in a game many Irish fan wanted to win by 50.
But this Notre Dame team is building its legacy on toughness – on gritty, gut-it-out victories like those against Stanford in October and Pittsburgh just last week.
Though the scoreboard might suggest otherwise, tonight, the Irish were in control from their opening drive.
Sure, it would have felt good for Notre Dame to cruise to a 50-10 or 41-3 victory, much like it did against Navy and Miami. A blowout win might have earned a few “style points” among voters.
When the BCS standings come out on Sunday evening, the Irish will likely be third, behind only Kansas State and Oregon. They may very well need the Wildcats or Ducks to lose in order to earn a ticket in the title game.
But right now, all Notre Dame needs to focus on is itself, and continuing to win football games. It must get past Wake Forest on Senior Day at Notre Dame Stadium (Nov. 17), and then beat USC the following week in Los Angeles.
Only then can we start thinking about a trip to South Beach.
Until next week, enjoy this.
The Irish are 10-0 for the first time in 19 years. And I’m not sure there’s a student, alum, writer or commentator in America who saw this coming.
(Ok, except for Lou Holtz.)
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Always great to see @CoachBrianKelly 's Twitter feed filled with #WeAreND 's Welcome to the family #F16HTINGIRISH 5 hours ago
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: #WeAreND 5 hours ago
- East side stadium renovations are peering over the upper bowl. #TransformationTuesday #GoIrish http://t.co/EScXevHbh8 2 days ago
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: #WeAreND 2 days ago
- . @NDPlayerDev brought Julius Jones back to campus tonight to speak to our players about life after football. #4for40 http://t.co/7pF1SI8S1B 2 days ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Ten Named to Hockey East All-Academic Team
- W. Golf. Irish Foursome Named To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- Football. Irish Extra: Football 101
- Track. Irish Named To All-ACC Academic Track & Field Teams
- Baseball. Seven Baseball Standouts Earn All-ACC Academic Team Honors
- W. Basketball. Niele Ivey Promoted To Associate Womenâ€™s Basketball Coach
- W. Rowing. Kottkamp Top ACC Scholar-Athlete For Second Straight Year
- Track. Irish Alums Wrap Weekend At USATF Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. Fischer, Gilbert Taken in NHL Draft
- W. Basketball. Ali Patberg Added To USA Basketball U19 World Championship Team