Nov 11, 2012, 2:29 AM EDT
The number of games the Notre Dame football team has won this season. In case you’re not keeping track, ten is also the number of games Notre Dame has played thus far.
Yep, the Fighting Irish are 10-0.
Barring a crazy turn of circumstances, they will be BCS bound. Perhaps to the party in the desert (Fiesta). Perhaps to the “Granddaddy of Them All” (Rose). But maybe, just maybe, Notre Dame will be headed to Miami – to play for the coveted crystal ball and a chance at its twelfth national championship.
With a 21-6 win at Boston College on Saturday night, the Fighting Irish moved to within two victories of completing an undefeated regular season.
And with “Johnny Football” and the Aggies stunning #1 Alabama at Bryant-Denny Stadium, down fell a major hurdle standing between Notre Dame and a spot in the BCS title game.
Pretty amazing – especially when you consider how, back in August, some of the “experts” were suggesting 8-4 and a return to Yankee Stadium (Pinstripe Bowl) might be the most likely scenario.
It hasn’t always been pretty. It certainly wasn’t always pretty this evening, in a game many Irish fan wanted to win by 50.
But this Notre Dame team is building its legacy on toughness – on gritty, gut-it-out victories like those against Stanford in October and Pittsburgh just last week.
Though the scoreboard might suggest otherwise, tonight, the Irish were in control from their opening drive.
Sure, it would have felt good for Notre Dame to cruise to a 50-10 or 41-3 victory, much like it did against Navy and Miami. A blowout win might have earned a few “style points” among voters.
When the BCS standings come out on Sunday evening, the Irish will likely be third, behind only Kansas State and Oregon. They may very well need the Wildcats or Ducks to lose in order to earn a ticket in the title game.
But right now, all Notre Dame needs to focus on is itself, and continuing to win football games. It must get past Wake Forest on Senior Day at Notre Dame Stadium (Nov. 17), and then beat USC the following week in Los Angeles.
Only then can we start thinking about a trip to South Beach.
Until next week, enjoy this.
The Irish are 10-0 for the first time in 19 years. And I’m not sure there’s a student, alum, writer or commentator in America who saw this coming.
(Ok, except for Lou Holtz.)
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @HoustonTexans: Secret nickname? Rookie snack duties? Get to know @Will_Fuller7. 🎥: bit.ly/2a546Rx https://t.co/9YuhB6LiGV 5 hours ago
- 39 DAYS. Perfect day to relive DK's 39-yd pass to Will Fuller for the game-winning TD at VA. #CountdownToPrimetime https://t.co/QMivovKsRU 9 hours ago
- Brian & Paqui Kelly present $100,000 donation from @KellyCares to the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Michiana. https://t.co/2ZxCX8XvyJ 1 day ago
- GIMME THAT! Happy #TouchdownTuesday from Torii Hunter Jr. (@THunterJr) https://t.co/hoGLknMxOO 1 day ago
- RT @NDFBEquipment: Staff and player travel shoes are issued and on the shelves ready to go to Texas #GoIrish https://t.co/z1XR6txcVJ 1 day ago
- W. Rowing. Rowers Earn Team USA Spots
- M. Golf. Barens Qualifies For U.S. Amateur Championship
- M. Basketball. Select-A-Seat Event Coming Up For Men's Basketball
- Softball. Winter Returns, NPF Debuts At Melissa Cook Stadium In August
- M. Basketball. Pro Hoops Alumni Recap
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Schedule Announced
- M. Ice Hockey. Palmieri Named To Team USA’s World Cup of Hockey Roster
- M. Basketball. Irish Hoops Open Practice Recap
- M. Basketball. Grant, Cooley NBA Summer League Champions
- Fencing. Five More Newcomers To Join Irish This Fall