Nov 12, 2012, 4:32 PM EST
We are back … back to a double-digit win season – boy does that feel great. This week the Irish did what they had to do; they traveled to Chestnut Hill and took care of business. It wasn’t perfect and it wasn’t pretty at times but Notre Dame controlled the game and exited with the same numbers of losses as they entered with – zero. In the meanwhile, two more of the unbeatens (Alabama and Louisville) fell and the Irish moved up to #3 in the BCS Standings. But the Irish cannot worry about the teams ahead of them – at least not now. The eyes of the Irish now need to turn towards Wake Forest.
The best part of the Boston College game was that it was almost boring at times (but not in a bad way). The Irish defense never looked extremely vulnerable and the offense was able to move the ball effectively (minus the turnovers). I love games where the outcome is not in question – now I hope we see that kind of performance in Notre Dame Stadium this Saturday.
Back to the main point of the blog, here are three things I learned about the Notre Dame football team this week:
1) Irish respond well after the poor Pittsburgh performance: As admitted by a number of Irish players, they were not 100% ready for the Panthers last weekend. Brian Kelly emphasized to them that the Irish will get the best effort from their opponents week in and week out. Playing Notre Dame is special and the opposition knows that. You will rarely find a team that plays a poor game against the Irish. The Notre Dame players realized that after the Pittsburgh game and responded in a big way against BC.
2) Don’t sleep on Prince: The Eagles were so concerned with Stephon Tuitt that they seemed to forget about Prince Shembo. After this week’s performance, Notre Dame’s opponents won’t make that mistake again. Shembo registered a three-sack performance and he added a fumble recovery for good measure. With the quartet of Kapron Lewis-Moore, Louis Nix III, Stephon Tuitt and Prince Shembo, Tanner Price better have a really quick release.
3) This defense continues to improve every week: Manti Te’o said after the game, “There were some plays you thought you were at Disney World. There were Mickey Mouse plays everywhere — reverses and screens. That was the most screens I ever defended in one game.” Boston College tried everything against the Irish defense – but very little seemed to work. The Eagles couldn’t get into the end zone and had to settle for just two field goals. This defense continues to improve each and every week – and now the Irish are rightly atop the nation in scoring defense.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- ND has 10 players in 2016 combine (#2 in CFB) Brown Day Fuller Martin Okwara Prosise Russell Shumate Smith Stanley https://t.co/2BMvUilrBB 9 hours ago
- Just over a week later.. Here's a look back at some of the tougher questions our coaches faced on Signing Day 2016. amp.twimg.com/v/5ec64c65-a02… 12 hours ago
- 3x Letter Winner 6x Dean's List Academic All-American And now.. Student Body President. Congrats Corey Robinson! https://t.co/5fX5gtwAxl 15 hours ago
- 🎉 A Fat Tuesday Feast... Training Table style. #EatLikeAChampionToday vine.co/v/i101tA5M6r9 2 days ago
- KICKOFF TIME ANNOUNCED Notre Dame vs. Navy 📅Nov. 5, 2016 ⏰11:30 a.m. ET 📺CBS ☀️Jacksonville, FL (EverBank Field) https://t.co/exet6RY3YH 2 days ago
- General News. Molly Seidel Tabbed ACC Women's Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- Cross Country. Molly Seidel Tabbed ACC Women’s Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- W. Volleyball. Molly Seidel Tabbed ACC Women’s Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- W. Soccer. Molly Seidel Tabbed ACC Women’s Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- M. Soccer. Molly Seidel Tabbed ACC Women’s Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- Monogram Club. Strong Of Heart Archives: Pat Garrity
- W. Tennis. Irish Insights: Pittsburgh & Michigan
- M. Swimming. Irish To Compete at Michigan First Chance Meet
- W. Swimming. Irish To Compete at Michigan First Chance Meet
- M. Ice Hockey. No. 8 Irish to Host Maine for Weekend Series