Nov 13, 2012, 9:05 AM EST
Well, there’s not much to discuss in the way of “Tradition Tuesday” this week.
There is no rivalry trophy, no string of last-second finishes, and no comparison between the universities’ football accomplishments. Wake Forest’s athletic program is probably most known for producing NBA stars Tim Duncan and Chris Paul, rather than Heisman Trophy winners.
The Fighting Irish and Demon Deacons have only met once on the football field (last November).
This season, Notre Dame and Wake Forest enter the game with very different aspirations. At 10-0, the Fighting Irish are part of the national championship conversation. On the other hand, the Demon Deacons are 5-5, seeking to spoil Notre Dame’s perfect season, and earn a spot in a bowl game for the second consecutive year.
Though the football programs couldn’t be more different, there are a few connections between the institutions. Like Notre Dame, Wake Forest is a small private university. With an undergraduate enrollment of approximately 4,400, it’s about half the size of Notre Dame. It is the third-smallest FBS school and the smallest in a BCS automatic-qualifier conference.
Wake Forest University president Nathan O. Hatch joined the Notre Dame faculty in 1975 and also served as the provost from 1996-2005. After spending 30 years in South Bend, Dr. Hatch began his current appointment in Oct. 2005.
Notre Dame Vice President/Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick‘s oldest son is a 2011 Wake Forest graduate. Head football equipment manager Ryan Grooms was a student manager for Wake Forest head coach Jim Grobe while at Ohio University. Before coming to Notre Dame in 2006, assistant media relations director Michael Bertsch worked in a similar capacity at Wake Forest.
It doesn’t have the history of next week’s matchup at USC, but to date, it’s the biggest game of the 2012 season. That’s how it works when you’re undefeated, no matter the opponent.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: You guys have had fun w/ @ndfootball over the yrs, but not as much fun as us fans. Congrats on 15 great yrs #GoIrish h… 2 hours ago
- One last sweat before our guys head out for spring break. #goirish vine.co/v/OEW5MOQ0M3M 3 hours ago
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: Such an exciting time for @NDFootball to be part of the @UnderArmour family. #UABrandHouse #UAChicago #SubwayAlums htt… 14 hours ago
- Today we say a final heartfelt goodbye & celebrate the life of an incredible man. #ThanksFrTed watchnd.tv/#!/videos/dnbm… http://t.co/qSv8WN5tL1 2 days ago
- Welcome back @autrydenson, your new Running Backs Coach. Read more at- watchnd.tv/#!/videos/prZG… und.com/sports/m-footb… http://t.co/31u84ostwb 2 days ago
- Baseball. Streaking Irish Open ACC Play At Georgia Tech
- M. Tennis. No. 23 Irish Prep For ACC Play
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: ACC Legend Achonwa Told It Like It Was
- W. Tennis. Tennis Runs In The Family
- Softball. Irish Softball Strikeout Cancer Trivia Night Sponsorship Opportunities Available
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Pulls Away From Louisville, 71-59
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Head To Greensboro For ACC Championship
- W. Basketball. Loyd Named ACC Player of the Year, Turner Is ACC Freshman of the Year