Nov 13, 2012, 9:05 AM EDT
Well, there’s not much to discuss in the way of “Tradition Tuesday” this week.
There is no rivalry trophy, no string of last-second finishes, and no comparison between the universities’ football accomplishments. Wake Forest’s athletic program is probably most known for producing NBA stars Tim Duncan and Chris Paul, rather than Heisman Trophy winners.
The Fighting Irish and Demon Deacons have only met once on the football field (last November).
This season, Notre Dame and Wake Forest enter the game with very different aspirations. At 10-0, the Fighting Irish are part of the national championship conversation. On the other hand, the Demon Deacons are 5-5, seeking to spoil Notre Dame’s perfect season, and earn a spot in a bowl game for the second consecutive year.
Though the football programs couldn’t be more different, there are a few connections between the institutions. Like Notre Dame, Wake Forest is a small private university. With an undergraduate enrollment of approximately 4,400, it’s about half the size of Notre Dame. It is the third-smallest FBS school and the smallest in a BCS automatic-qualifier conference.
Wake Forest University president Nathan O. Hatch joined the Notre Dame faculty in 1975 and also served as the provost from 1996-2005. After spending 30 years in South Bend, Dr. Hatch began his current appointment in Oct. 2005.
Notre Dame Vice President/Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick‘s oldest son is a 2011 Wake Forest graduate. Head football equipment manager Ryan Grooms was a student manager for Wake Forest head coach Jim Grobe while at Ohio University. Before coming to Notre Dame in 2006, assistant media relations director Michael Bertsch worked in a similar capacity at Wake Forest.
It doesn’t have the history of next week’s matchup at USC, but to date, it’s the biggest game of the 2012 season. That’s how it works when you’re undefeated, no matter the opponent.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @Brodiesmith21: Catch! https://t.co/1aSboqP4PZ 9 hours ago
- 9️⃣ Days. Getting the gold helmets right for September 4. #BeatTexas ☘ https://t.co/MkCLw4FMAL 15 hours ago
- College Football Royalty? Thanks, ESPN. ☘🏈👑 twitter.com/espn/status/76… 18 hours ago
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: Proud to name Mike, Torii, James & Isaac captains this week. Can't wait for them to lead us on the field in TEXAS! ht… 1 day ago
- 👀 on the prize. #BeatTexas https://t.co/tCNqkFIOdU 1 day ago
- Cross Country. Fighting Irish Prepared For Looming 2016 Schedule
- Softball. Irish Softball Academies Return In October
- M. Soccer. Irish Soccer On The Air Throughout 2016
- W. Volleyball. No Limits As Irish Embark Upon 2016
- W. Soccer. #12 Irish Fall To Wolverines 2-0
- M. Soccer. #9 Irish Begin New Season With Berticelli Memorial Tournament
- M. Ice Hockey. Holmberg And Novak Added To Hockey Roster
- Monogram Club. Justice Alan Page To Receive Monogram Club's Moose Krause Award
- W. Rowing. Shamrock Sisters Are Top 10 At World Championship
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Michigan