Nov 13, 2012, 9:05 AM EDT
Well, there’s not much to discuss in the way of “Tradition Tuesday” this week.
There is no rivalry trophy, no string of last-second finishes, and no comparison between the universities’ football accomplishments. Wake Forest’s athletic program is probably most known for producing NBA stars Tim Duncan and Chris Paul, rather than Heisman Trophy winners.
The Fighting Irish and Demon Deacons have only met once on the football field (last November).
This season, Notre Dame and Wake Forest enter the game with very different aspirations. At 10-0, the Fighting Irish are part of the national championship conversation. On the other hand, the Demon Deacons are 5-5, seeking to spoil Notre Dame’s perfect season, and earn a spot in a bowl game for the second consecutive year.
Though the football programs couldn’t be more different, there are a few connections between the institutions. Like Notre Dame, Wake Forest is a small private university. With an undergraduate enrollment of approximately 4,400, it’s about half the size of Notre Dame. It is the third-smallest FBS school and the smallest in a BCS automatic-qualifier conference.
Wake Forest University president Nathan O. Hatch joined the Notre Dame faculty in 1975 and also served as the provost from 1996-2005. After spending 30 years in South Bend, Dr. Hatch began his current appointment in Oct. 2005.
Notre Dame Vice President/Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick‘s oldest son is a 2011 Wake Forest graduate. Head football equipment manager Ryan Grooms was a student manager for Wake Forest head coach Jim Grobe while at Ohio University. Before coming to Notre Dame in 2006, assistant media relations director Michael Bertsch worked in a similar capacity at Wake Forest.
It doesn’t have the history of next week’s matchup at USC, but to date, it’s the biggest game of the 2012 season. That’s how it works when you’re undefeated, no matter the opponent.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Honoring the men and women in our armed services. #GodCountryNotreDame http://t.co/ONpEapMxEH 1 day ago
- Good luck to @NDlacrosse v. Denver in @NCAA_Lax Final 4 today. Watch your Irish on ESPN2 at 1PM ET. #WeAreND #IWILL http://t.co/AIi6wUQcoQ 3 days ago
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: Outlined against a perfectly blue May sky... #NoFilter http://t.co/x6PbuW4jvN 4 days ago
- "Whatever you value, be committed to it and let nothing distract you from this goal." - Fr. Theodore Hesburgh http://t.co/SICNYgl4nP 4 days ago
- RT @MikeDenbrock: Let's Find a Way to be Great at what we do Today. #GetitDone #GoIrish 5 days ago
- Baseball. Irish Extra: Notre Dame Baseball Sees Big Jump Up the Curve
- Softball. Irish Great Koerner Inks Contract With USSSA Pride
- W. Soccer. Romagnolo's First Season Set Tone For Irish Soccer
- Baseball. Baseball In NCAA Regionals For First Time Since 2006
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Falls In NCAA Singles Championship Semifinal
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Extra: Notre Dame Men's Lax Drops Out Of NCAA Title Chase By Slimmest Of Margins
- Baseball. No. 20 Irish Fall To No. 6 Miami, 6-5, In Wild Finish
- W. Lacrosse. Katherine McManus Claims Yeardley Reynolds Love Unsung Hero Award
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Menâ€™s Lacrosse Post Game Notes
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Men's Lacrosse Postgame Quotes