Nov 17, 2012, 9:50 PM EDT
How’s that for style points?
The Fighting Irish must have been watching TV this week too.
After football analysts and journalists across the country went on about how Notre Dame couldn’t win with the same flash and excitement of its undefeated counterparts, the senior class that opened its Notre Dame Stadium career with a 35-0 victory against Nevada closed it out with another shutout – a 38-0 dominant win over Wake Forest.
From the opening drive, it was all Irish. On the fourth play from scrimmage, Cierre Wood broke off a 68-yard touchdown run, the longest of the season for Notre Dame.
Barely a third of the way done with the first quarter, and the rout was on.
21-0. Students and fans already starting to turn their attention to next week’s game at Southern Cal.
As has become tradition on Senior Day, the student section broke into a marshmallow fight at halftime. The wave even made an appearance, and for the first time this season, Irish nation wasn’t on the edge of its seat at a home game.
But attention turned back towards the field at the 13:27 mark of the fourth quarter. Brian Kelly called a timeout, and the crowd of 80,795 rose to its feet, as Motta, along with senior co-captains Kapron Lewis-Moore and Manti Te’o exited a game at Notre Dame Stadium for the final time.
There have been a lot of unforgettable moments this season, and for me, the thunderous ovation for some of the most beloved Fighting Irish players of recent memory, is certainly towards the top of that list.
As I wrote yesterday, it’s going to be tough to say goodbye to this group of seniors. They’ve been at the center of Notre Dame’s success this season, and a big reason why I believe the Fighting Irish are on track to be a national contender for years to come.
Today, we celebrated their careers at Notre Dame, four years of commitment and countless hours of hard work.
Next week, we cheer them on as they look to cap off a remarkable year with one last victory – a victory that would hopefully earn them a trip to Miami for an epic showdown on Jan. 7.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- M. Basketball. Matt Ryan Granted Release For Contact With Other Schools
- Fencing. Replay: NCAA Title in My Eyes
- Softball. Irish Entertain EMU Eagles Wednesday Evening
- M. Ice Hockey. Jackson Named One of 10 Finalists For Spencer Penrose Award
- W. Lacrosse. Giacolone Receives ACC's Weekly Honor
- M. Ice Hockey. Frozen Four Bound Irish Honored
- W. Basketball. Two Honored as AP All-Americans
- Baseball. Irish & Cougars Tangle On Tuesday
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic and Sexton Named ACC Player of the Week Honorees
- M. Basketball. 2017 Evening With Notre Dame Basketball Tickets On Sale