Nov 17, 2012, 9:50 PM EDT
How’s that for style points?
The Fighting Irish must have been watching TV this week too.
After football analysts and journalists across the country went on about how Notre Dame couldn’t win with the same flash and excitement of its undefeated counterparts, the senior class that opened its Notre Dame Stadium career with a 35-0 victory against Nevada closed it out with another shutout – a 38-0 dominant win over Wake Forest.
From the opening drive, it was all Irish. On the fourth play from scrimmage, Cierre Wood broke off a 68-yard touchdown run, the longest of the season for Notre Dame.
Barely a third of the way done with the first quarter, and the rout was on.
21-0. Students and fans already starting to turn their attention to next week’s game at Southern Cal.
As has become tradition on Senior Day, the student section broke into a marshmallow fight at halftime. The wave even made an appearance, and for the first time this season, Irish nation wasn’t on the edge of its seat at a home game.
But attention turned back towards the field at the 13:27 mark of the fourth quarter. Brian Kelly called a timeout, and the crowd of 80,795 rose to its feet, as Motta, along with senior co-captains Kapron Lewis-Moore and Manti Te’o exited a game at Notre Dame Stadium for the final time.
There have been a lot of unforgettable moments this season, and for me, the thunderous ovation for some of the most beloved Fighting Irish players of recent memory, is certainly towards the top of that list.
As I wrote yesterday, it’s going to be tough to say goodbye to this group of seniors. They’ve been at the center of Notre Dame’s success this season, and a big reason why I believe the Fighting Irish are on track to be a national contender for years to come.
Today, we celebrated their careers at Notre Dame, four years of commitment and countless hours of hard work.
Next week, we cheer them on as they look to cap off a remarkable year with one last victory – a victory that would hopefully earn them a trip to Miami for an epic showdown on Jan. 7.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- 2️⃣4️⃣ HOURS! 'Til the Irish take on the Spartans. #GoIrish ☘ #BeatMSU https://t.co/ZC1tN8yWt2 11 minutes ago
- #GoIrish ☘️ #BeatMSU https://t.co/oFo2tqK49U 1 hour ago
- Can't make it to MSU, Saturday? @FOXSports will be airing the game in social virtual reality:… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- "Sam the Man Bush" is a man of many talents. 🎶 🎸 Watch as OL @SamBush plays the guitar and serenades AD Jack Swarb… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago
- Practice: ✅ 🚌 ➡️ MSU: 🔜 #GoIrish ☘️ #BeatMSU https://t.co/b0EsTjDcMJ 4 hours ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Hockey Tickets On Sale
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Travels to Shoal Creek Invitational
- Football. Notre Dame-Michigan State: Five Things to Watch
- W. Soccer. Irish Fall to #4 Duke
- W. Volleyball. Fry, Holt And Johnson Selected As Volleyball Captains
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Off To Virginia Tech For Hokie Clash
- W. Golf. #15 Women’s Golf Heads To Oklahoma
- W. Volleyball. Irish Open ACC Play At Louisville And NC State
- Baseball. Fall Baseball Opens With Pair Of Scrimmages
- W. Soccer. Irish Set to Battle #4 Duke