Nov 17, 2012, 9:50 PM EDT
How’s that for style points?
The Fighting Irish must have been watching TV this week too.
After football analysts and journalists across the country went on about how Notre Dame couldn’t win with the same flash and excitement of its undefeated counterparts, the senior class that opened its Notre Dame Stadium career with a 35-0 victory against Nevada closed it out with another shutout – a 38-0 dominant win over Wake Forest.
From the opening drive, it was all Irish. On the fourth play from scrimmage, Cierre Wood broke off a 68-yard touchdown run, the longest of the season for Notre Dame.
Barely a third of the way done with the first quarter, and the rout was on.
21-0. Students and fans already starting to turn their attention to next week’s game at Southern Cal.
As has become tradition on Senior Day, the student section broke into a marshmallow fight at halftime. The wave even made an appearance, and for the first time this season, Irish nation wasn’t on the edge of its seat at a home game.
But attention turned back towards the field at the 13:27 mark of the fourth quarter. Brian Kelly called a timeout, and the crowd of 80,795 rose to its feet, as Motta, along with senior co-captains Kapron Lewis-Moore and Manti Te’o exited a game at Notre Dame Stadium for the final time.
There have been a lot of unforgettable moments this season, and for me, the thunderous ovation for some of the most beloved Fighting Irish players of recent memory, is certainly towards the top of that list.
As I wrote yesterday, it’s going to be tough to say goodbye to this group of seniors. They’ve been at the center of Notre Dame’s success this season, and a big reason why I believe the Fighting Irish are on track to be a national contender for years to come.
Today, we celebrated their careers at Notre Dame, four years of commitment and countless hours of hard work.
Next week, we cheer them on as they look to cap off a remarkable year with one last victory – a victory that would hopefully earn them a trip to Miami for an epic showdown on Jan. 7.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- To the best fan base in the world! Thanks for getting us to 500,000! #GoIrish https://t.co/7d4BiJY51Z 18 hours ago
- RT @Coach_Lea: Thanks to all the coaches that helped me this month. Indebted to each of you for your time. Feels great to be home!! https:/… 2 days ago
- RT @CoachMikeElston: Finished spring recruiting last night!Made it to my final Father's Day Luau! Thanks to all the coaches and admin that… 2 days ago
- COMMUNITY ✅ #PillarsOfNotreDame READ: und.com/sports/m-footb… https://t.co/o0L8xlCSxz 3 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘ HEADS UP! 100 Days until kickoff in Notre Dame Stadium. 📆 September 2nd 🏈 @NDFootball vs. Temple https://t.co/5I5jQo… 3 days ago
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic and Epple Selected in First Two Rounds of MLL Draft
- W. Rowing. Irish Wrap Up NCAA Championship
- Track & Field. Five Irish Headed To Eugene
- W. Rowing. Irish Earn Final Berths At The NCAA Championship
- Track & Field. Richartz Secures Spot at NCAA Championships
- W. Rowing. Rowing Wraps Up Day One At NCAA Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Long Island Sound Draft Two Irish Alumnae
- Baseball. Irish Fall In Season Finale
- Track & Field. Irish Punch Ticket To Eugene
- Football. Football & The Force Charity Softball Game