Nov 17, 2012, 9:50 PM EDT
How’s that for style points?
The Fighting Irish must have been watching TV this week too.
After football analysts and journalists across the country went on about how Notre Dame couldn’t win with the same flash and excitement of its undefeated counterparts, the senior class that opened its Notre Dame Stadium career with a 35-0 victory against Nevada closed it out with another shutout – a 38-0 dominant win over Wake Forest.
From the opening drive, it was all Irish. On the fourth play from scrimmage, Cierre Wood broke off a 68-yard touchdown run, the longest of the season for Notre Dame.
Barely a third of the way done with the first quarter, and the rout was on.
21-0. Students and fans already starting to turn their attention to next week’s game at Southern Cal.
As has become tradition on Senior Day, the student section broke into a marshmallow fight at halftime. The wave even made an appearance, and for the first time this season, Irish nation wasn’t on the edge of its seat at a home game.
But attention turned back towards the field at the 13:27 mark of the fourth quarter. Brian Kelly called a timeout, and the crowd of 80,795 rose to its feet, as Motta, along with senior co-captains Kapron Lewis-Moore and Manti Te’o exited a game at Notre Dame Stadium for the final time.
There have been a lot of unforgettable moments this season, and for me, the thunderous ovation for some of the most beloved Fighting Irish players of recent memory, is certainly towards the top of that list.
As I wrote yesterday, it’s going to be tough to say goodbye to this group of seniors. They’ve been at the center of Notre Dame’s success this season, and a big reason why I believe the Fighting Irish are on track to be a national contender for years to come.
Today, we celebrated their careers at Notre Dame, four years of commitment and countless hours of hard work.
Next week, we cheer them on as they look to cap off a remarkable year with one last victory – a victory that would hopefully earn them a trip to Miami for an epic showdown on Jan. 7.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/m50P066qAV 12 hours ago
- RT @NaNaOsafo2: DL vs OL in practice is gonna be LIVEEEE!!!! Welcome to the Fam ☘️ twitter.com/zekecorrell/st… 19 hours ago
- 7️⃣5️⃣ days until @jluggnut and the Irish are back at Notre Dame Stadium. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/jggdSnKRz3 19 hours ago
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: #WeAreND 20 hours ago
- RT @zekecorrell: I AM 100% COMMITTED TO NOTRE DAME! #GoIrish ☘️🏉 https://t.co/izGZowQMIj 20 hours ago
- Track & Field. Nuguse Wins 1500m at USATF Junior Outdoor Championships
- Baseball. Unspoken Bond: Daily & Podkul Connect At Notre Dame
- M. Tennis. Andrews Named Irish Assistant Coach
- W. Volleyball. Jim McLaughlin Resigns from Volleyball Post Due to Health Reasons
- Baseball. Vierling & Podkul Named All-Region
- M. Lacrosse. Three Former Irish Standouts To Play In MLL All-Star Game
- W. Basketball. Irish Selected for Jimmy V Classic vs UConn
- W. Basketball. Irish to Host the Hawkeyes for ACC/B1G Challenge
- M. Lacrosse. Irish See It All in Barcelona Regions
- M. Lacrosse. Madrid and Segovia Are Final Destinations for Irish Lacrosse Squad