Nov 22, 2012, 10:20 AM EDT
Notre Dame is now 11-0 and ranked No. 1 in the latest BCS standings following a 38-0 victory over Wake Forest. It was the first shutout victory for the Irish in the Brian Kelly era, and the largest margin of victory in a shutout for Notre Dame since a 42-0 win over Rutgers in 2002.
The Irish offense scored touchdowns on each of its first three drives, and averaged at least 10 yards per play on four of its first five possessions. With 3:30 left in the third quarter, the Irish offense had outgained Wake Forest by nearly 400 yards and Notre Dame was able to coast the rest of the way to victory.
Notre Dame’s defense kept Wake Forest out of scoring range all day. Only two Wake Forest first downs occurred in Irish territory, both coming on an 11-play, 41-yard drive that ended in a punt. The Irish extended their streak of not giving up a touchdown on drives started at or inside the opponent’s own 40-yard line — only one touchdown has been surrendered on 105 opportunities, and the Irish have turned away 99 straight.
The Irish defense also held Wake Forest to 18.1 points below their FBS scoring average. It was the ninth game this season in which a Notre Dame opponent was held at least 10 points below its scoring average, and the sixth time the opponent was held at least 15 points below its scoring average. On the season, Notre Dame opponents are scoring 15.6 points fewer against the Irish than their FBS scoring average, the third best rate nationally. As illustrated in the chart above, it is the best mark posted by a Notre Dame defense in the last 25 years.
Brian Fremeau (’99) is a college football writer, stats analyst, and data visualization designer. His work regularly appears at ESPN Insider, ESPN the Magazine, Football Outsiders, and on his own site, BCF Toys. He develops and publishes numerous possession-based statistics including the Fremeau Efficiency Index (FEI), a college football rating system based on opponent-adjusted drive efficiency. Follow Brian on Twitter.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: #WeAreND 1 hour ago
- Not a bad day when an NFL All-Pro alum comes back to talk with your guys. Keep doin' your thing with the… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- Burst. Hops. Heart. Cole Luke showed out at our Pro Day prior to the 2017 NFL Draft. #NDintheNFL https://t.co/RXVSuqe8qj 1 day ago
- RT @NDFootball: 24 Reps at 225lbs. 36" Vert. No Linebacker accomplished both those feats at the NFL Combine. James Onwualu did at our Pro… 1 day ago
- RT @dalex3333: We can never have enough great players take the field on game day. Recruiting never stops! We want the best of the best. Who… 1 day ago
- Track. Aragon Finishes Seventh at Raleigh Relays
- Baseball. Sunday Brunch: Nussbaum Still Makes Plays
- Swimming & Diving. No. 19 Notre Dame Earns Highest NCAA Championship Point Total, Finish in School History
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: Irish Roll Past Buckeyes
- Fencing. Notre Dame Strengthens Lead After Day 3 At NCAA Fencing Championships
- Fencing. Irish Increase Lead At NCAA Championship
- Baseball. Bass Strong As Irish Fall To Seminoles
- Softball. Irish Fire On All Cylinders To VT Series Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Rally Past No. 1 Seed Minnesota, 3-2
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Hand Buckeyes First Defeat Of Season In 12-7 Victory