Nov 27, 2012, 4:15 PM EDT
When the season began on Sept. 1, Notre Dame wasn’t even ranked in the Associated Press poll. Yet today, less than three months later, the Fighting Irish are the #1 football team in the country. Presumptively, there’s a spot waiting for them in the national title game on Jan. 7 in Miami.
Notre Dame’s ascent to the top of the rankings is one of this year’s feel-good college football stories. In his Ken Burns-esque essay today, ESPN’s Gene Wojciechowski says a standing ovation is in order.
While you’re at it, check out Gregg Easterbrook’s article on why Notre Dame should be celebrated.
In recent years, Stanford has been close to the top for combination of poll rankings and graduation rates, showing that low standards are not needed to win football games. But Notre Dame is first to be a double No. 1, on the field and in the classroom. Hearty congratulations are due to coach Brian Kelly, Notre Dame president John Jenkins, and the Fighting Irish team.
Click here to read the rest of the article.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @RomeoND45: Glory be to God https://t.co/t6AZVeY4sz 5 hours ago
- RT @Jae_Uno_: We gone continue to push..... love my school love my brothers ❤️⛽️ #GoIrish 🔔🍀 7 hours ago
- The grind never stops. Take a look inside our 25,000-square foot weight room. #IrishStrong 💪 https://t.co/o3Jweb2ZkG 3 days ago
- RT @SInow: Harrison Smith, the NFL’s most anonymous star, prefers to fly under the radar (by @Ben_Baskin) on.si.com/2dO5RnT https://t… 3 days ago
- RT @ELITHEMAN1: 🚨🚨I HAVE MADE MY COLLEGE DECISION !!!🚨 🚨 Shoutout to @TomLoy247 for putting this video together for me https://t.co/rbp5gw… 4 days ago
- M. Tennis. Irish Doubles Pairs Fall In ITA Midwest Regional Championship Semifinals
- W. Volleyball. Irish Push Win Streak to Three With Sweep of Hokies
- W. Rowing. Rowing Wraps Up Head of the Charles
- W. Soccer. Late Goal Lifts #14 Irish To 1-0 Victory Over Wake Forest
- W. Tennis. Irish Keep Rolling At ITA, IU Regionals
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Wake Forest
- M. Ice Hockey. #3/4 Irish Fall in Overtime to Penn State
- M. Tennis. Irish Play Into Quarterfinal Rounds At ITA Regional
- Swimming & Diving. No.14 Fighting Irish Stay Undefeated in Season Beating No.22 Georgia Tech in First Dual ACC Meet
- W. Rowing. Club Four Claims Third At Head of the Charles