Dec 2, 2012, 10:05 PM EDT
Mark your calendar. Jan. 7, 2013: #1 Notre Dame vs. #2 Alabama. A BCS title game matchup for the ages.
Last Saturday night in Los Angeles, the Fighting Irish protected their #1 ranking, completed an undefeated regular season, and probably could have booked travel plans to the Sunshine State (heck, most of their fans did).
While Notre Dame was a virtual lock for the national championship game, it was not until Sunday night that bowl invitations were officially announced. Following Alabama’s 32-28 win over Georgia in yesterday’s SEC championship game, the epic showdown is set.
The Irish players, coaches and their families gathered in the Isban Auditorium at the Guglielmino Athletic Complex, to relax, grab some food and watch the BCS Selection Show. Shortly after 8:30 pm, ESPN’s Rece Davis unveiled the final regular season standings.
The Fighting Irish and Crimson Tide will meet for the first time since 1987 and seventh time overall. Notre Dame currently holds a 5-1 advantage in the series. Over the next few weeks, we’ll undoubtedly hear a lot about the 1973 Sugar Bowl and the 1975 Orange Bowl, the previous bowl meetings between two of college football’s most storied programs.
In 1973, Notre Dame defeated Alabama, 24-23 to earn its ninth national championship. The following season, the Irish fought to a 13-11 victory in the Orange Bowl, sending Ara Parseghian off with a victory in his final game.
For more facts and figures on the big game, check out the press release on UND.com.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- VIEWS FROM THE 6 👀 Coach Kelly visited the Notre Dame Club of Toronto yesterday and made a stop at @TSN_Sports https://t.co/QGwk2b6Zzi 3 hours ago
- It's been a little too quiet around here... This time next week, our players go back to work. https://t.co/lIIUEhhFw9 23 hours ago
- We're proud to report that former linebacker Jarrett Grace has signed with the Chicago Bears. Congratulations JG! https://t.co/XrTAONHz4n 1 day ago
- Remember the Alamo? We're coming back. The official 2016 Shamrock Series logo is here. https://t.co/FWPOoM5Ffu 1 day ago
- RT @CoreyRobinson13: Incredible to see how @NotreDame is everywhere, even on Via Dolorosa in Jerusalem! #NDSAS #weareND https://t.co/wN1UxM… 2 days ago
- W. Tennis. Gleason's Comeback Bid Falls Short In NCAA Singles First Round
- Baseball. Summer Ball Provides Key Development Opportunities For Players
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Advances To Round of 32 At NCAA Singles Championship
- W. Basketball. Irish, Hawkeyes To Meet In ACC-B1G Challenge
- M. Basketball. Ingelsby Accepts Delaware Head Coach Position
- W. Volleyball. Irish Volleyball Adds Klein & Truett To 2016 Roster
- W. Tennis. Irish Insights: NCAA Singles Championship
- M. Basketball. Irish To Welcome Hawkeyes In 'Challenge' Rematch
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Named National ITA Arthur Ashe Award Winner
- M. Lacrosse. Monday Brunch: Tough Ending in Columbus for Corrigan’s Crew