Dec 2, 2012, 10:05 PM EDT
Mark your calendar. Jan. 7, 2013: #1 Notre Dame vs. #2 Alabama. A BCS title game matchup for the ages.
Last Saturday night in Los Angeles, the Fighting Irish protected their #1 ranking, completed an undefeated regular season, and probably could have booked travel plans to the Sunshine State (heck, most of their fans did).
While Notre Dame was a virtual lock for the national championship game, it was not until Sunday night that bowl invitations were officially announced. Following Alabama’s 32-28 win over Georgia in yesterday’s SEC championship game, the epic showdown is set.
The Irish players, coaches and their families gathered in the Isban Auditorium at the Guglielmino Athletic Complex, to relax, grab some food and watch the BCS Selection Show. Shortly after 8:30 pm, ESPN’s Rece Davis unveiled the final regular season standings.
The Fighting Irish and Crimson Tide will meet for the first time since 1987 and seventh time overall. Notre Dame currently holds a 5-1 advantage in the series. Over the next few weeks, we’ll undoubtedly hear a lot about the 1973 Sugar Bowl and the 1975 Orange Bowl, the previous bowl meetings between two of college football’s most storied programs.
In 1973, Notre Dame defeated Alabama, 24-23 to earn its ninth national championship. The following season, the Irish fought to a 13-11 victory in the Orange Bowl, sending Ara Parseghian off with a victory in his final game.
For more facts and figures on the big game, check out the press release on UND.com.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- M. Golf. Irish Finish 11th At 2015 ACC Championship
- Softball. #24 Irish Split Senior Day Series As Koerner, Wester Tie Program Records
- Baseball. Irish Fall In 11 Innings At Wake Forest Sunday Afternoon
- Baseball. Irish Fall To Demon Deacons, 4-2, In Saturday Matchup
- Track. Irish Wrap Weekend In Iowa, Michigan
- M. Golf. Irish In 11th After 36 At The ACC Championship
- W. Rowing. #RV Irish Finish Third At Dale England Cup
- Softball. Saturday Notre Dame Softball Games Canceled
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Men's Lacrosse: Chasing a Second Straight ACC Crown in Philly
- Track. Irish Solid At Drake, GINA Relays