Dec 2, 2012, 10:05 PM EST
Mark your calendar. Jan. 7, 2013: #1 Notre Dame vs. #2 Alabama. A BCS title game matchup for the ages.
Last Saturday night in Los Angeles, the Fighting Irish protected their #1 ranking, completed an undefeated regular season, and probably could have booked travel plans to the Sunshine State (heck, most of their fans did).
While Notre Dame was a virtual lock for the national championship game, it was not until Sunday night that bowl invitations were officially announced. Following Alabama’s 32-28 win over Georgia in yesterday’s SEC championship game, the epic showdown is set.
The Irish players, coaches and their families gathered in the Isban Auditorium at the Guglielmino Athletic Complex, to relax, grab some food and watch the BCS Selection Show. Shortly after 8:30 pm, ESPN’s Rece Davis unveiled the final regular season standings.
The Fighting Irish and Crimson Tide will meet for the first time since 1987 and seventh time overall. Notre Dame currently holds a 5-1 advantage in the series. Over the next few weeks, we’ll undoubtedly hear a lot about the 1973 Sugar Bowl and the 1975 Orange Bowl, the previous bowl meetings between two of college football’s most storied programs.
In 1973, Notre Dame defeated Alabama, 24-23 to earn its ninth national championship. The following season, the Irish fought to a 13-11 victory in the Orange Bowl, sending Ara Parseghian off with a victory in his final game.
For more facts and figures on the big game, check out the press release on UND.com.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @NDFootball: What were you doing this morning? #tictoc https://t.co/yohZyRmdsg 30 minutes ago
- Puttin' in work. https://t.co/qnjmLmfhe9 11 hours ago
- We are excited to see DeShone take part in Jon Gruden's QB Camp on ESPN prior to the NFL Draft in April.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: Hey @DallasCowboys - you're getting a monster. @CoachBrianKelly agrees. #ClearEyeView 👀@TheJaylonSmith https://t.co/Hq6l… 1 day ago
- RT @CoachMikeElko: #IrishBouND18 is at again! Another special addition to a great class! Who's next? 👀 1 day ago
- Baseball. Anteaters Take Tony Gwynn Opener From Irish
- Softball. Irish Complete Day One Of The Mary Nutter Classic
- W. Lacrosse. Casey Pearsall, Irish End Elon's Unbeaten Streak
- Track. Distance Medley Relay Highlights Day One
- W. Basketball. Allen, No. 5 Irish Cruise Past Boston College on Senior Night
- Baseball. Tony Gwynn Classic Takes Irish To San Diego
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: Northwestern
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Honored as Postgraduate Scholarship Recipient
- Baseball. Chance Of Rain Alters Tony Gwynn Classic Schedule
- W. Tennis. Irish Capitalize In 5-2 Win Over Purdue