Dec 3, 2012, 9:50 AM EDT
But it was Brady Quinn, whose post-game comments have us most proud to call him one of our own.
On the day after his teammate Jovan Belcher killed his girlfriend, before taking his own life outside of Arrowhead Stadium, Quinn completed 19 of 23 passes for 201 yards and two touchdowns, leading the Kansas City Chiefs to a 27-21 victory over Carolina.
After the game, the former Irish quarterback was asked about the emotion in the locker room. In the most difficult of situations for Quinn and his teammates, his poignant response really makes you stop and think.
It was tough. I think it was an eerie feeling after a win because you don’t think that you can win in this situation. The one thing people can hopefully try to take away, I guess, is the relationships they have with people. I know when it happened, I was sitting and, in my head, thinking “what could I have done differently?”
When you ask someone how they are doing, do you really mean it? When you answer someone back how you are doing, are you really telling the truth? We live in a society of social networks, with Twitter pages and Facebook, and that’s fine, but we have contact with our work associates, our family, our friends, and it seems like half the time we are more preoccupied with our phone and other things going on instead of the actual relationships that we have right in front of us.
Hopefully people can learn from this and try to actually figure out if someone is battling something deeper on the inside than what they are revealing on a day-to-day basis.
Quinn has always been a Notre Dame man, and his response yesterday, finding the right words in a time of tragedy, is another example of why he’s a standout representative of the university.
Watch the video on KCChiefs.com. (The question starts around the 4:20 mark, but the entire video is definitely worth your time).
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Track. Irish Close Record-Setting Day at Baylor
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Earn No. 4 Seed In ACC Tournament
- M. Golf. Golfers Conclude ACCs in 10th
- Football. Sunday Brunch: Irish Football ‘Process’ Ongoing
- Softball. UVA Spoils Irish Afternoon On Day One
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: #6 Irish Tip #16 Heels by One (Of Course)
- Football. Gold Wins Annual Blue-Gold Game 27-14
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Fall to Eagles In Regular-Season Finale
- M. Lacrosse. Wynne and Perkovic Lead Irish To Victory Over Tar Heels
- Baseball. Cavaliers Win Game Three & Series