Dec 3, 2012, 9:50 AM EDT
But it was Brady Quinn, whose post-game comments have us most proud to call him one of our own.
On the day after his teammate Jovan Belcher killed his girlfriend, before taking his own life outside of Arrowhead Stadium, Quinn completed 19 of 23 passes for 201 yards and two touchdowns, leading the Kansas City Chiefs to a 27-21 victory over Carolina.
After the game, the former Irish quarterback was asked about the emotion in the locker room. In the most difficult of situations for Quinn and his teammates, his poignant response really makes you stop and think.
It was tough. I think it was an eerie feeling after a win because you don’t think that you can win in this situation. The one thing people can hopefully try to take away, I guess, is the relationships they have with people. I know when it happened, I was sitting and, in my head, thinking “what could I have done differently?”
When you ask someone how they are doing, do you really mean it? When you answer someone back how you are doing, are you really telling the truth? We live in a society of social networks, with Twitter pages and Facebook, and that’s fine, but we have contact with our work associates, our family, our friends, and it seems like half the time we are more preoccupied with our phone and other things going on instead of the actual relationships that we have right in front of us.
Hopefully people can learn from this and try to actually figure out if someone is battling something deeper on the inside than what they are revealing on a day-to-day basis.
Quinn has always been a Notre Dame man, and his response yesterday, finding the right words in a time of tragedy, is another example of why he’s a standout representative of the university.
Watch the video on KCChiefs.com. (The question starts around the 4:20 mark, but the entire video is definitely worth your time).
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @NDFBEquipment: New practice jerseys are in vine.co/v/eXDEv23ma0t 10 hours ago
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: My staff unanimously decided to add a game to the players' lounge this year. It's called Irish Jenga. http://t.co/ctv… 2 days ago
- Follow @NDFBStrength for exclusive training camp pictures directly from the #NDFB Strength & Conditioning staff. http://t.co/AETDlGljqG 2 days ago
- 38 Days until KICKOFF! http://t.co/iUWTLYbOmb 3 days ago
- Ready for training camp! Labar Practice Complex upgraded both turf fields & the natural grass field this summer. http://t.co/JFIFq5RDyy 3 days ago
- W. Lacrosse. Incoming Freshmen Play for World Championship on Sat.
- W. Swimming. Irish Stars Thrive On International Swimming Stage
- W. Golf. Cool, Confident Hamilton Matures in Wyndham Cup Debut
- W. Volleyball. How To Watch Irish Volleyball Matches In 2015
- W. Soccer. Irish, ACC Release Expanded Broadcast Schedule
- M. Golf. Irish Earn A 2015 GCAA Team Academic Award
- Monogram Club. First Person: Danielle Green's ESPY Moment
- W. Basketball. First Person: Danielle Greenâ€™s ESPY Moment
- M. Soccer. Abundance Of Soccer On Air
- Baseball. Cavan Biggio Named A Cape Cod League All-Star