Dec 4, 2012, 11:29 AM EST
Though it came as a surprise to no one, Manti Te’o was officially announced as a Heisman Trophy finalist last night during Sportscenter. The Irish senior linebacker will join quarterbacks Johnny Manziel (Texas A&M) and Collin Klein (Kansas State) at the trophy presentation on Saturday night.
But by far, the most popular of these is the Manti Te’o Music Video, which as of Tuesday morning, had more than 89,000 views and is continuing to sweep the Notre Dame community via Twitter and Facebook. “Te’O,” a remake of “Day-O,” was recorded by Pat McKillen, a 2010 ND graduate and Barrington, Ill. native. (Download a free mp3 here.)
Some Notre Dame alums might recognize him from the Spirit of Notre Dame CD, a compilation which featured his song “Loyal Sons,” inspired by the Notre Dame Victory March.
But McKillen is about much more than remakes and cover songs. He released his debut album Stagefright in May 2011, and a follow-up, The Red Headed Enemy is planned for early 2013.
McKillen has performed at several campus events and venues, both as a student and young alum, including the B1 Block Party, Legends and Relay for Life. The Observer published a nice feature on his musical aspirations in Feb. 2010.
Stagefright is available on iTunes and Spotify, and you can check out more of his original work at patmckillen.com. I’d highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys acoustic folk/rock music, or any Domer, for that matter.
For more on how the “Te’O” song came about, make sure to check out yesterday’s feature from NBCChicago.com.
“First down. Second down. Third down. Punt!”
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- On this day in 2012 the Notre Dame Fighting Irish defeated USC to earn a National Championship birth in Miami, FL. amp.twimg.com/v/e45edf0d-e35… 9 minutes ago
- Jac Collinsworth discovers what Romeo Okwara is doing when he isn't sacking the QB on this week's 1 on 1 exclusive. amp.twimg.com/v/67ab02ff-2fb… 3 hours ago
- Coach Kelly breaks down this weekend's Shamrock Series win over Boston College on this week's InsideNDFB. amp.twimg.com/v/f305544f-878… 6 hours ago
- RT @outlandtrophy: Today we highlight our semifinalist from @NDFootball OT Ronnie Stanley. Stanley has started 36 straight games. https://t… 6 hours ago
- Coach Kelly discusses this week's preparation against No. 11 Stanford. Watch Live - watchnd.tv/#!/shows/Brian… 7 hours ago
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #3 Notre Dame 110, Valparaiso 54
- W. Basketball. No. 3 Notre Dame runs away from Valparaiso
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish Roll Over Valparaiso, 110-54
- Football. Notre Dame-Boston College: The Original
- W. Volleyball. Getting To Know Volleyball's Rebecca Nunge
- W. Swimming. Alice Treuth Wins 200 Back On Final Day of Purdue Invitational
- M. Swimming. Tabahn Afrik Claims First in 100 Free on Final Day of Purdue Invite
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish Ready For Monday Night Hoops At Valparaiso
- Football. Brian Kelly Football Media Conference
- M. Soccer. #7 Irish Advance On PKs After 1-1 Draw With Tulsa