Dec 4, 2012, 11:29 AM EST
Though it came as a surprise to no one, Manti Te’o was officially announced as a Heisman Trophy finalist last night during Sportscenter. The Irish senior linebacker will join quarterbacks Johnny Manziel (Texas A&M) and Collin Klein (Kansas State) at the trophy presentation on Saturday night.
But by far, the most popular of these is the Manti Te’o Music Video, which as of Tuesday morning, had more than 89,000 views and is continuing to sweep the Notre Dame community via Twitter and Facebook. “Te’O,” a remake of “Day-O,” was recorded by Pat McKillen, a 2010 ND graduate and Barrington, Ill. native. (Download a free mp3 here.)
Some Notre Dame alums might recognize him from the Spirit of Notre Dame CD, a compilation which featured his song “Loyal Sons,” inspired by the Notre Dame Victory March.
But McKillen is about much more than remakes and cover songs. He released his debut album Stagefright in May 2011, and a follow-up, The Red Headed Enemy is planned for early 2013.
McKillen has performed at several campus events and venues, both as a student and young alum, including the B1 Block Party, Legends and Relay for Life. The Observer published a nice feature on his musical aspirations in Feb. 2010.
Stagefright is available on iTunes and Spotify, and you can check out more of his original work at patmckillen.com. I’d highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys acoustic folk/rock music, or any Domer, for that matter.
For more on how the “Te’O” song came about, make sure to check out yesterday’s feature from NBCChicago.com.
“First down. Second down. Third down. Punt!”
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- On this #ValentinesDay... Love thee, Notre Dame ☘ https://t.co/NZqe44jpXI 3 hours ago
- 🏆PLAY LIKE A CHAMPION Saturday Notre Dame ranks FIRST in Pro Football Hall of Famers READ: foxsports.com/college-footba… https://t.co/7KxsWcsrNI 23 hours ago
- We are deeply saddened by the passing of 1953 Heisman Trophy Winner Johnny Lattner. Our prayers are with his family. https://t.co/YZr4ZpxsDV 1 day ago
- Old Habits Die Hard. Always nice having alums back on campus, especially Baltimore Ravens DE Kapron Lewis-Moore. https://t.co/ya1MEtM0y0 1 day ago
- 🎓 4 FOR 40 Friday 2007 Grad CB Ambrose Wooden Finance Major & 3x Letter Winner ☘ NOW: VP at Goldman Sachs (NYC) https://t.co/E3fSydUDrt 2 days ago
- M. Ice Hockey. #8 Irish Sweep Into First With a 5-1 Win Over Maine
- Track. Irish Track And Field Earn Top Marks On Day Two at Two Meets
- Softball. #24/RV Irish Fall In Nightcap Heartbreaker For Kajikawa Split
- M. Tennis. No. 36 Irish Dominate No. 54 Michigan 6-1
- M. Basketball. Postgame Quotes
- W. Swimming. Notre Dame Swimming Puts in Top Times At Michigan Meet
- M. Swimming. Notre Dame Swimming Puts in Top Times At Michigan Meet
- Football. John Lattner: His Trophy Life
- Football. Notre Dame Heisman Trophy Winner John Lattner Dies at Age 83
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Knocks Off #13 Louisville, 71-66