Dec 4, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
Though it came as a surprise to no one, Manti Te’o was officially announced as a Heisman Trophy finalist last night during Sportscenter. The Irish senior linebacker will join quarterbacks Johnny Manziel (Texas A&M) and Collin Klein (Kansas State) at the trophy presentation on Saturday night.
But by far, the most popular of these is the Manti Te’o Music Video, which as of Tuesday morning, had more than 89,000 views and is continuing to sweep the Notre Dame community via Twitter and Facebook. “Te’O,” a remake of “Day-O,” was recorded by Pat McKillen, a 2010 ND graduate and Barrington, Ill. native. (Download a free mp3 here.)
Some Notre Dame alums might recognize him from the Spirit of Notre Dame CD, a compilation which featured his song “Loyal Sons,” inspired by the Notre Dame Victory March.
But McKillen is about much more than remakes and cover songs. He released his debut album Stagefright in May 2011, and a follow-up, The Red Headed Enemy is planned for early 2013.
McKillen has performed at several campus events and venues, both as a student and young alum, including the B1 Block Party, Legends and Relay for Life. The Observer published a nice feature on his musical aspirations in Feb. 2010.
Stagefright is available on iTunes and Spotify, and you can check out more of his original work at patmckillen.com. I’d highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys acoustic folk/rock music, or any Domer, for that matter.
For more on how the “Te’O” song came about, make sure to check out yesterday’s feature from NBCChicago.com.
“First down. Second down. Third down. Punt!”
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: #WeAreND 1 hour ago
- Not a bad day when an NFL All-Pro alum comes back to talk with your guys. Keep doin' your thing with the… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- Burst. Hops. Heart. Cole Luke showed out at our Pro Day prior to the 2017 NFL Draft. #NDintheNFL https://t.co/RXVSuqe8qj 1 day ago
- RT @NDFootball: 24 Reps at 225lbs. 36" Vert. No Linebacker accomplished both those feats at the NFL Combine. James Onwualu did at our Pro… 1 day ago
- RT @dalex3333: We can never have enough great players take the field on game day. Recruiting never stops! We want the best of the best. Who… 1 day ago
- Track. Aragon Finishes Seventh at Raleigh Relays
- Baseball. Sunday Brunch: Nussbaum Still Makes Plays
- Swimming & Diving. No. 19 Notre Dame Earns Highest NCAA Championship Point Total, Finish in School History
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: Irish Roll Past Buckeyes
- Fencing. Notre Dame Strengthens Lead After Day 3 At NCAA Fencing Championships
- Fencing. Irish Increase Lead At NCAA Championship
- Baseball. Bass Strong As Irish Fall To Seminoles
- Softball. Irish Fire On All Cylinders To VT Series Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Rally Past No. 1 Seed Minnesota, 3-2
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Hand Buckeyes First Defeat Of Season In 12-7 Victory