Dec 4, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
Though it came as a surprise to no one, Manti Te’o was officially announced as a Heisman Trophy finalist last night during Sportscenter. The Irish senior linebacker will join quarterbacks Johnny Manziel (Texas A&M) and Collin Klein (Kansas State) at the trophy presentation on Saturday night.
But by far, the most popular of these is the Manti Te’o Music Video, which as of Tuesday morning, had more than 89,000 views and is continuing to sweep the Notre Dame community via Twitter and Facebook. “Te’O,” a remake of “Day-O,” was recorded by Pat McKillen, a 2010 ND graduate and Barrington, Ill. native. (Download a free mp3 here.)
Some Notre Dame alums might recognize him from the Spirit of Notre Dame CD, a compilation which featured his song “Loyal Sons,” inspired by the Notre Dame Victory March.
But McKillen is about much more than remakes and cover songs. He released his debut album Stagefright in May 2011, and a follow-up, The Red Headed Enemy is planned for early 2013.
McKillen has performed at several campus events and venues, both as a student and young alum, including the B1 Block Party, Legends and Relay for Life. The Observer published a nice feature on his musical aspirations in Feb. 2010.
Stagefright is available on iTunes and Spotify, and you can check out more of his original work at patmckillen.com. I’d highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys acoustic folk/rock music, or any Domer, for that matter.
For more on how the “Te’O” song came about, make sure to check out yesterday’s feature from NBCChicago.com.
“First down. Second down. Third down. Punt!”
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- 99 DAYS. Notre Dame leads college football with 99 consensus All-American selections. #CountdownToPrimetime https://t.co/wR0EiLEPiw 5 minutes ago
- 100 DAYS AWAY. The ONLY game on September 4. #CountdownToPrimetime ☘🏈💯 vine.co/v/i9xexXr0InD 1 day ago
- VIEWS FROM THE 6 👀 Coach Kelly visited the Notre Dame Club of Toronto yesterday and made a stop at @TSN_Sports https://t.co/QGwk2b6Zzi 2 days ago
- It's been a little too quiet around here... This time next week, our players go back to work. https://t.co/lIIUEhhFw9 2 days ago
- We're proud to report that former linebacker Jarrett Grace has signed with the Chicago Bears. Congratulations JG! https://t.co/XrTAONHz4n 3 days ago
- M. Tennis. Lawson, Monaghan Advance To NCAA Quarterfinals
- M. Ice Hockey. Quest for the Stanley Cup Continues for Rust and Cole
- W. Soccer. Markgraf To Be First Woman To Call Top Men's Soccer Tournament On U.S. Television
- M. Tennis. Irish Pair Advance To Round of 16 At NCAA Doubles Championship
- M. Basketball. Coach Brey May 25, 2016 Media Session
- W. Tennis. Gleason's Comeback Bid Falls Short In NCAA Singles First Round
- Baseball. Summer Ball Provides Key Development Opportunities For Players
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Advances To Round of 32 At NCAA Singles Championship
- W. Basketball. Irish, Hawkeyes To Meet In ACC-B1G Challenge
- M. Basketball. Ingelsby Accepts Delaware Head Coach Position