Dec 5, 2012, 2:58 PM EDT
The hardware kept rolling in for the Fighting Irish on Wednesday.
Tyler Eifert was named the 2012 recipient of the John Mackey Award, given annually to the nation’s top tight end. The Fort Wayne, Ind. native had 44 receptions for 624 yards and four touchdowns in 12 games. During Notre Dame’s game against Wake Forest, he became the Fighting Irish’s all-time leading receiver among tight ends, and currently has 134 career receptions.
Additionally, head coach Brian Kelly was chosen as the 2012 Home Depot Coach of the Year Award. He will become the first two-time recipient when he receives the honor at tomorrow’s 2012 Home Depot College Football Awards, which will be broadcast on ESPN beginning at 7:30 pm ET (He also won the award in 2009 while at Cincinnati).
At last night’s National Football Foundation (NFF) Awards Dinner, Te’o was a finalist for the William V. Campbell Trophy. Known as the “Academic Heisman,” the award went to Alabama offensive lineman Barrett Jones.
Along with Jones, Te’o is one of four finalists for the Lombardi Award, presented tonight in Houston, to the best college football lineman or linebacker. Should Te’o win, he would become the first Irish player to receive the award since Aaron Taylor in 1993. Stay tuned to @NDHardin for his “Travels with Te’o” during his hectic awards tour.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- "EYES ON ME." The #DBoys are up after the 56-yard touchdown pass from Kizer to Prosise. http://t.co/9t93HxxGUE 11 minutes ago
- TOUCHDOWN IRISH DeShone Kizer finds CJ Prosise for a 56-yard touchdown pass. Prosise now with TD's in last 4 games. http://t.co/bh55nYFCQ5 15 minutes ago
- HALFTIME #DBoys are showing why they are one of the top squads in the country - forced 4-straight punts to end half. http://t.co/IqsxOb5O1L 1 hour ago
- It's all about adjustments. #DBoys have now forced Clemson to punt on three-straight possessions. http://t.co/9hW8eA1oXs 1 hour ago
- FIELD GOAL IS GOOD. True freshman Justin Yoon knocks through the 46-yard field goal for his 5th FG of the year. http://t.co/0oKyBwe9DH 2 hours ago
- M. Soccer. Keys To The Game: North Carolina State
- Cross Country. Irish Extra: Piane Invitational Becomes Top Early-Season Meet
- W. Soccer. #14/4 Irish Stunned By Miami In 2OT, 1-0
- W. Volleyball. Irish Fall To Boston College, 3-0, Friday Night At Purcell Pavilion
- W. Tennis. Irish Successful On Day One At Purdue Invite
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: ITA All-American Championships
- Cross Country. Notre Dame Continues Building Tradition at the Joe Piane Notre Dame Invitational
- W. Golf. Irish Continue Fall Slate at Chip-N Club Invitational
- W. Rowing. Fifth Annual Irish Rowing Erg-A-Thon Set For October 9
- Monogram Club. Boxx Leaves A Legacy Of Life Lessons Learned