Dec 5, 2012, 2:58 PM EDT
The hardware kept rolling in for the Fighting Irish on Wednesday.
Tyler Eifert was named the 2012 recipient of the John Mackey Award, given annually to the nation’s top tight end. The Fort Wayne, Ind. native had 44 receptions for 624 yards and four touchdowns in 12 games. During Notre Dame’s game against Wake Forest, he became the Fighting Irish’s all-time leading receiver among tight ends, and currently has 134 career receptions.
Additionally, head coach Brian Kelly was chosen as the 2012 Home Depot Coach of the Year Award. He will become the first two-time recipient when he receives the honor at tomorrow’s 2012 Home Depot College Football Awards, which will be broadcast on ESPN beginning at 7:30 pm ET (He also won the award in 2009 while at Cincinnati).
At last night’s National Football Foundation (NFF) Awards Dinner, Te’o was a finalist for the William V. Campbell Trophy. Known as the “Academic Heisman,” the award went to Alabama offensive lineman Barrett Jones.
Along with Jones, Te’o is one of four finalists for the Lombardi Award, presented tonight in Houston, to the best college football lineman or linebacker. Should Te’o win, he would become the first Irish player to receive the award since Aaron Taylor in 1993. Stay tuned to @NDHardin for his “Travels with Te’o” during his hectic awards tour.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: #WeAreND 1 hour ago
- Not a bad day when an NFL All-Pro alum comes back to talk with your guys. Keep doin' your thing with the… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- Burst. Hops. Heart. Cole Luke showed out at our Pro Day prior to the 2017 NFL Draft. #NDintheNFL https://t.co/RXVSuqe8qj 1 day ago
- RT @NDFootball: 24 Reps at 225lbs. 36" Vert. No Linebacker accomplished both those feats at the NFL Combine. James Onwualu did at our Pro… 1 day ago
- RT @dalex3333: We can never have enough great players take the field on game day. Recruiting never stops! We want the best of the best. Who… 1 day ago
- Track. Aragon Finishes Seventh at Raleigh Relays
- Baseball. Sunday Brunch: Nussbaum Still Makes Plays
- Swimming & Diving. No. 19 Notre Dame Earns Highest NCAA Championship Point Total, Finish in School History
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: Irish Roll Past Buckeyes
- Fencing. Notre Dame Strengthens Lead After Day 3 At NCAA Fencing Championships
- Fencing. Irish Increase Lead At NCAA Championship
- Baseball. Bass Strong As Irish Fall To Seminoles
- Softball. Irish Fire On All Cylinders To VT Series Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Rally Past No. 1 Seed Minnesota, 3-2
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Hand Buckeyes First Defeat Of Season In 12-7 Victory