Dec 6, 2012, 3:18 PM EST
I think it’s time to build a new wing at the Gug.
The Fighting Irish are continuing to rack up major awards this week, and there’s potential to add a few more tonight at The Home Depot College Football Awards (7:30 pm ET on ESPN).
The Lombardi Award is given to the best lineman or linebacker, and Te’o becomes the fifth Irish player to receive the honor – Taylor (1993), Chris Zorich (1990), Ross Browner (1977) and Walt Patulski (1971).
On Thursday afternoon, Te’o and teammate Mike Golic Jr. were also named to the first team Capital One Academic All-America® Football Team which is selected annually by CoSIDA (College Sports Information Directors of America).
Te’o and Golic are the first pair of Irish teammates to earn first-team Academic All-American honors since 1987. This year also marks Te’o’s second appearance on the team, as he was a second-team selection last season.
The linebacker from Laie, Hawaii holds a 3.324 grade-point-average and later this month, will graduate (in three and a half years) from the College of Arts and Letters with a bachelor’s degree in design.
Meanwhile, Golic is currently enrolled in graduate studies, after graduating from the College of Arts and Letters in May 2012 with a degree in film, television and theatre. The Irish’s right guard finished his undergraduate career with a 3.428 GPA.
Eifert will become Notre Dame’s first Mackey Award recipient, Kelly will pick up his second Home Depot Coach of the Year Award, and Parseghian will be honored with the Contributions to College Football Award.
Te’o is a finalist for the Walter Camp Player of the Year, Maxwell Award (nation’s best all-around player) and the Chuck Bednarik Trophy (defensive player of the year), all three of which will be also presented. Should he win two of those, Te’o would tie former Michigan cornerback Charles Woodson as the only player to capture five major postseason awards. The current Green Bay Packer brought home the Bednarik, Nagurski, Thorpe, Walter Camp and Heisman in 1997.
Oh, and Te’o is also in the running for the Heisman (Saturday) and Lott IMPACT Trophy (Sunday).
Like I said, we better start clearing some space in the Gug lobby.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @The_Realest55: Let's do this thing!🍀🍀🍀 #GoIrish 9 minutes ago
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: Jonathan's an awesome kid. He could’ve moved on with his degree from ND, but he decided to return to further his educa… 34 minutes ago
- RT @___HG3: Officially a student athlete at Notre Dame ☘️ 57 minutes ago
- Daily reminder... #GoIrish ☘ #PlayLikeAChampionToday https://t.co/eBW6aimIe7 3 hours ago
- #4for40 ☘️ #GoIrish twitter.com/Keivarae1/stat… 18 hours ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Remain #1, Trio Up For Hobey Fan Vote
- Softball. The #NDSB30 Top Five: 2010s
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Louisville - Five Things To Know
- W. Tennis. Irish On Tour: Irish Trio Finding Success on Pro Circuit
- W. Basketball. No. 2 Irish Soar Over Eagles, 89-60
- M. Ice Hockey. Sunday Brunch: Much Ado About Morris
- M. Basketball. Irish Drop Heartbreaker Against No. 20/18 North Carolina, 69-68
- Swimming & Diving. #20/22 Irish Cap An Unbeaten Weekend At Iowa
- Track & Field. Irish Wrap Wolverine Invitational
- W. Basketball. No. 2 Irish Begin Three-Game Homestand Starting Sunday vs Boston College