Dec 6, 2012, 3:18 PM EDT
I think it’s time to build a new wing at the Gug.
The Fighting Irish are continuing to rack up major awards this week, and there’s potential to add a few more tonight at The Home Depot College Football Awards (7:30 pm ET on ESPN).
The Lombardi Award is given to the best lineman or linebacker, and Te’o becomes the fifth Irish player to receive the honor – Taylor (1993), Chris Zorich (1990), Ross Browner (1977) and Walt Patulski (1971).
On Thursday afternoon, Te’o and teammate Mike Golic Jr. were also named to the first team Capital One Academic All-America® Football Team which is selected annually by CoSIDA (College Sports Information Directors of America).
Te’o and Golic are the first pair of Irish teammates to earn first-team Academic All-American honors since 1987. This year also marks Te’o’s second appearance on the team, as he was a second-team selection last season.
The linebacker from Laie, Hawaii holds a 3.324 grade-point-average and later this month, will graduate (in three and a half years) from the College of Arts and Letters with a bachelor’s degree in design.
Meanwhile, Golic is currently enrolled in graduate studies, after graduating from the College of Arts and Letters in May 2012 with a degree in film, television and theatre. The Irish’s right guard finished his undergraduate career with a 3.428 GPA.
Eifert will become Notre Dame’s first Mackey Award recipient, Kelly will pick up his second Home Depot Coach of the Year Award, and Parseghian will be honored with the Contributions to College Football Award.
Te’o is a finalist for the Walter Camp Player of the Year, Maxwell Award (nation’s best all-around player) and the Chuck Bednarik Trophy (defensive player of the year), all three of which will be also presented. Should he win two of those, Te’o would tie former Michigan cornerback Charles Woodson as the only player to capture five major postseason awards. The current Green Bay Packer brought home the Bednarik, Nagurski, Thorpe, Walter Camp and Heisman in 1997.
Oh, and Te’o is also in the running for the Heisman (Saturday) and Lott IMPACT Trophy (Sunday).
Like I said, we better start clearing some space in the Gug lobby.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- 9️⃣7️⃣ (@__DJMICAHDEW97) days. Retweet if you’re ready for some Irish football! #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/8fzq4h7aUK 2 hours ago
- We are ND. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/vST1orpSov 4 hours ago
- 🚨 June camp season is almost here 🚨 Don't miss out on this summer's Lineman and Elite Skills camps:… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 hours ago
- Stay up-to-date on everything Notre Dame Football by following our Coaches and Staff ⬇️. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/oNk0BOSYyj 8 hours ago
- 'Flip the Switch' Jr. defensive end, @Khalid_Kareem53 is ready to show the world who he is. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/fhiUr49ecN 1 day ago
- Track & Field. Irish Qualify Three On Final Day Of Preliminary Round
- Track & Field. Thorpe Advances to Quarterfinal on Second Day Of Preliminary Round
- W. Lacrosse. Cobb, Doyle To Take Part In IWLCA Senior All-Star Game
- Track & Field. Irish Qualify Three For Eugene
- M. Lacrosse. John Sexton Named USILA's Defensive Player of the Year
- Baseball. Notre Dame Wraps ACC Tournament Play
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In First Round of NCAA Championships
- General News. Notre Dame Among Leaders in NCAA APR Four-Year Numbers
- M. Basketball. Irish Set To Face Oklahoma In Madison Square Garden
- Baseball. Irish Lose Lead Late, Fall to Miami