Dec 12, 2012, 2:57 PM EDT
Though he is regarded as one of the best coaches in football history, the life and death of Knute Rockne remains a bit of a mystery to many Notre Dame fans.
Rockne passed away in a tragic plane accident on March 31, 1931, on his way west to help in the production of The Spirit of Notre Dame. With 105 wins, just 12 losses and five ties, he is the winningest coach in 125 years of Fighting Irish football.
Andrew Owens, assistant managing editor of The Observer, recently set out to learn more about the legendary head coach for an article called “Finding Rockne.” The senior’s journey included a visit to Highland Cemetery in South Bend, as well as a stop in Bazaar, Kan., the town near where Transcontinental and Western Air Flight 599 went down.
With Notre Dame’s 12-0 season and impending national championship berth, I’ve grown increasingly inquisitive about who the man who got the ball rolling for the nation’s most storied program. I, like so many others, didn’t choose to attend Notre Dame because of football, but the sport is what put Notre Dame on the map. If it weren’t for Rockne, how many of the 8,452 undergraduate students currently attending the University would actually be here?
I realized just how little I know about the man who started it all. Rockne is forever immortalized in bronze form outside the tunnel on the north side of Notre Dame Stadium. Realizing Irish coach Brian Kelly is one win away from getting his own statue someday, I considered what parallels, if any, exist between the two men.
Check out the full article on The Observer website.
Photographer and sports writer Kevin Noonan, who joined Owens on the trip, also wrote a day-by-day recap of the experience.
While you’re at it, I’d also highly recommend checking out the rest of the newspaper’s national championship edition of Irish Insider.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Vote @DTranquill for Lott Impact Player of the Week! lottimpacttrophy.org/vote #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/xdciBA4AgN 1 hour ago
- 🚨THIS JUST IN🚨 Next weekend's game at North Carolina has been announced as a 3:30 PM EST kickoff on ABC or ESPN.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- Week 5️⃣ is here! 📍 Notre Dame Stadium 🗓 Saturday, September 30 🕞 5:00 pm EST 📺 NBC 🆚 Miami Ohio #️⃣GoIrish ☘ #️⃣… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- Go inside the locker room with the team following the W! 🎶 #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/ayTVXgXtbZ 18 hours ago
- All smiles at victory dinner 😊. #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/7nuIyN7cb9 21 hours ago
- W. Golf. Hamilton Fires Program Record 65
- M. Tennis. Play Concludes At Crimson Tide 4-In-The-Fall
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Falls In Five At NC State
- W. Soccer. Irish Shut Out #24 NC State 4-0
- Football. Replay: Irish Scuttle Spartans Quickly
- Football. Irish Recapture Megaphone With 38-18 Win Over Spartans
- Football. Sunday Brunch: Irish and the Heismen
- W. Golf. Albrecht Records Career Low Round
- Football. '66 Irish-Spartan Clash: A Lifetime of Memories
- M. Tennis. Day 2 Complete At Alabama