Dec 12, 2012, 2:57 PM EDT
Though he is regarded as one of the best coaches in football history, the life and death of Knute Rockne remains a bit of a mystery to many Notre Dame fans.
Rockne passed away in a tragic plane accident on March 31, 1931, on his way west to help in the production of The Spirit of Notre Dame. With 105 wins, just 12 losses and five ties, he is the winningest coach in 125 years of Fighting Irish football.
Andrew Owens, assistant managing editor of The Observer, recently set out to learn more about the legendary head coach for an article called “Finding Rockne.” The senior’s journey included a visit to Highland Cemetery in South Bend, as well as a stop in Bazaar, Kan., the town near where Transcontinental and Western Air Flight 599 went down.
With Notre Dame’s 12-0 season and impending national championship berth, I’ve grown increasingly inquisitive about who the man who got the ball rolling for the nation’s most storied program. I, like so many others, didn’t choose to attend Notre Dame because of football, but the sport is what put Notre Dame on the map. If it weren’t for Rockne, how many of the 8,452 undergraduate students currently attending the University would actually be here?
I realized just how little I know about the man who started it all. Rockne is forever immortalized in bronze form outside the tunnel on the north side of Notre Dame Stadium. Realizing Irish coach Brian Kelly is one win away from getting his own statue someday, I considered what parallels, if any, exist between the two men.
Check out the full article on The Observer website.
Photographer and sports writer Kevin Noonan, who joined Owens on the trip, also wrote a day-by-day recap of the experience.
While you’re at it, I’d also highly recommend checking out the rest of the newspaper’s national championship edition of Irish Insider.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- 140 days until KICKOFF #BeatTexas 14 hours ago
- "Anyway I can lead my team to victory, that's what I'm all about. I'll play any position" http://t.co/creTDpjvLN 18 hours ago
- "It's a guaranteed first down and a TD 50% of the time" - @ronnie_stanley on his screen pass being added to playbook http://t.co/Bfb8NzzxeZ 18 hours ago
- "Knowing the offense is definitely an advantage, I love to run the ball & come out of the backfield to catch passes" http://t.co/hsfXYdDAkE 18 hours ago
- "We're an older team now, lot of veterans and I really like what we got going here"-Martin on momentum going into '15 http://t.co/2puRlpAGRZ 18 hours ago
- Baseball. No. 25 Irish Split With Wolfpack Saturday; Clinch ACC Series
- Track. Record Falls At Virginia Challenge, Irish Wrap Weekend
- W. Golf. Irish Finish Sixth At ACC Women's Golf Championship
- M. Lacrosse. #1 Irish Top #2 Tar Heels, 15-14, In Dramatic Fashion
- Softball. #25 Irish Take Two From Syracuse, Vault Winning Streak To 22 On Strikeout Cancer Saturday
- Football. Blue-Gold Game Recap
- M. Tennis. No. 37 Irish Slip By No. 36 N.C. State, 4-3
- Football. Notre Dame Blue-Gold Post Game Quotes
- General News. Irish Announce 2015 Football Kickoff Times
- Football. Irish Announce 2015 Football Kickoff Times