Dec 13, 2012, 12:13 PM EST
Kelly was named the recipient of the 2012 FWAA/Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year Award.
The 1,200-member Football Writers Association of America chose the Irish head coach over eight other finalists – Gary Andersen (Utah State), Dave Doeren (Northern Illinois), Urban Meyer (Ohio State), Will Muschamp (Florida), Bill O’Brien (Penn State), David Shaw (Stanford), Bill Snyder (Kansas State) and Kevin Sumlin (Texas A&M).
The FWAA Coach of the Year Award was first given out in 1957, and it has been named after the former Grambling State coach since 1997. It’s currently sponsored by the Fiesta Bowl.
Read more on Coach Kelly’s honor in the press release on UND.com.
Like Manti Te’o last week, you can bet Kelly is pleased with the numerous national recognitions he has received, but that the only trophy he is really focused on is the one the Irish will play for on Jan. 7.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Fencing. Irish Wrap New York Stay At NYU Invite
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Breezes By Tar Heels
- M. Basketball. Sunday Brunch: Irish Defense Dooms 'Cuse
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Blank New Hampshire 3-0 For A Three Point Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. Fighting Irish Victorious in Indianapolis
- Fencing. Irish Look Strong At Elite St. John's Invitational
- Track. Seidel, Irish Race to Fourth-Place Finish
- M. Basketball. Beachem's Best: Irish Claim 84-66 Victory Over Syracuse
- W. Basketball. Irish Going to Carolina For Sunday Matinee vs. Tar Heels
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish: Western Michigan & Wright State