Dec 17, 2012, 12:55 PM EST
It was a press conference about Notre Dame’s upcoming BCS national championship game, but for me, the biggest news of the day was about next season.
Though it might not come as a surprise, it’s huge news for a team that built much of its 2012 success upon veteran leadership.
Martin, one of four captains on this year’s Irish squad, has started all 38 games over the past three seasons. He received the Offensive Lineman of the Year Award at the Notre Dame Football Awards Show earlier this month, and his experience and vocal presence have been an integral part of the Fighting Irish’s 12-0 season.
On the other side of the ball, Nix has been a menacing defensive player at nose guard. The junior finished the regular season with 45 stops, including 5.5 tackles for a loss. Nix also had two sacks, five pass breakups and a forced fumble. He and defensive end Stephon Tuitt were co-recipients of the Moose Krause Lineman of the Year Award at this year’s awards show.
Not only is he 6-foot-3 and more than 300 lbs., but Nix, known to many as “Irish Chocolate,” is also one of the biggest personalities on the team.
In a sport where four- and five-star recruits are constantly on the radar, getting guys like Nix and Martin back, when the NFL Draft was a realistic option, is like signing six-star prospects. Following Michael Floyd and Manti Te’o before them, it says a lot about this university and football program, that student-athletes value a Notre Dame degree and the college experience over the money awaiting them in professional football.
Meanwhile, senior running back Cierre Wood will wait to hear back on his NFL evaluation, before making a decision.
Check back to UND.com later for video from today’s BCS Media Day.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Josh Adams has been named a semifinalist for the 2017 Doak Walker award, honoring the top running back in college f… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- When the Irish are back at Notre Dame Stadium! #FridayFeeling #GoIrish ☘ #BeatNavy https://t.co/6jy97QQHZn 1 hour ago
- Saying goodbye to @MikeAndMike the only way we know how. Vintage @espngolic. #GoIrish ☘️ #BeatNavy https://t.co/7Sy3KGiMFs 3 hours ago
- Thank you, seniors! #GoIrish ☘ #BeatNavy https://t.co/QdG9wqMtPs 4 hours ago
- Saturday. 3:30pm ET. Notre Dame Stadium. #GoIrish ☘ #BeatNavy https://t.co/fJpEQGPIlm 14 hours ago
- M. Basketball. Irish Roll In 105-66 Blowout Victory Over Chicago State
- Softball. Irish Softball Unveils 2018 Schedule
- W. Basketball. The Muffet McGraw Radio Show, Presented by TireRack.com, Returns Nov. 20
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Wraps Up Home Schedule Against UNC And NC State
- General News. Alex Mansour: Coming Through in the Clutch
- Football. Notre Dame-Navy: Last Hurrah for Seniors
- W. Soccer. Irish to Face No. 2-seed Texas A&M in NCAA Second Round
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Wrap Fall Semester At OSU Fall Open Invite
- General News. Annual Notre Dame Athletics Black Friday Sale
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Chicago State - Five Things To Know