Dec 20, 2012, 11:21 AM EST
Everyone knows that Raghib “Rocket” Ismail was one of the most electrifying players to ever put on the gold helmet. If you’ve ever had a chance to hear Rocket at a Notre Dame pep rally, you are also probably aware of how animated he is as a speaker (ex. USC 2009 or Utah 2010).
Earlier this fall, Rocket sat down with Fighting Irish Digital Media in their new studio at the Joyce Center. Among the topics that he spoke about was the 1991 Orange Bowl, and the infamous punt return that was wiped away by a questionable clipping penalty.
That play is featured as today’s “Strong and True” moment (#112) on the 125 years of Notre Dame football website. The moments are numbered in the order they are released, not based on which are “greatest” or “most significant.”
However, in my opinion, today’s video is one of the best we have had all season, not only due to Rocket’s great recollection of a play that happened nearly 22 years ago, but also because of his emotion in talking about a moment that had a valuable impact on his life.
It’s one thing to see him as a passionate speaker when rallying thousands of cheering fans, but it’s something unique to watch him during a one-on-one interview.
Check out the video below. In particular, it’s the last thirty seconds or so that stand out. He says:
I didn’t understand what it took to really be a champion, at that time in my life. But since then, I’ve come to understand that that moment was very valuable for me.
And in your life, there’s going to be adversity, especially when you desire to do great things. But make up in your mind right now, that come hell or high water, all the people that say it’s impossible, including yourself – and that try to convince you that it can’t – you make up in your mind right now, that you can – and by God’s grace, you will.
Visit 125.nd.edu for more on this game, as well as other moments from the 125 project.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- ☘ Notre Dame alums ✔️ 🏈 Super Bowl Champs ✔️ Proud of our guys Ryan Harris and David Bruton Jr.! https://t.co/cq3BvrymGS 4 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: To our Super Bowl winners David & Ryan, Congratulations! From AD Jack Swarbrick & the entire @NotreDame Community. htt… 16 hours ago
- From one ND Long Snapper to another... Congrats to J.J. Jansen on a great season. twitter.com/sdaly61/status… 17 hours ago
- TAILS NEVER FAILS 🏈 ND great and 3-time Super Bowl MVP Joe Montana did the coin toss at Super Bowl 50. https://t.co/mM7k6CuBD9 20 hours ago
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: ONLY the BIGGEST games get a flyover from the Navy's Blue Angels! Good luck to our 3 ND alums in the Super Bowl. http… 21 hours ago
- M. Basketball. Irish Head To Clemson For A Key ACC Battle
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #3 Notre Dame 66, #13 Louisville 61
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish Rally Past #13 Louisville, 66-61
- Fencing. No. 2 Irish Women Remain Undefeated At Duke Duals
- M. Tennis. No. 36 Irish Snare Doubleheader Wins over No. 53 Indiana, Ball State
- M. Basketball. Sunday Brunch: Golden Irish Motor Past Heels
- M. Basketball. Postgame Quotes
- M. Ice Hockey. Petersen Leads No. 10 Irish to 3-1 Win and Weekend Sweep at Vermont
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame takes down #2 North Carolina, 80-76
- W. Lacrosse. #7 Irish Earn Sweet Win at Jacksonville