Dec 20, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Everyone knows that Raghib “Rocket” Ismail was one of the most electrifying players to ever put on the gold helmet. If you’ve ever had a chance to hear Rocket at a Notre Dame pep rally, you are also probably aware of how animated he is as a speaker (ex. USC 2009 or Utah 2010).
Earlier this fall, Rocket sat down with Fighting Irish Digital Media in their new studio at the Joyce Center. Among the topics that he spoke about was the 1991 Orange Bowl, and the infamous punt return that was wiped away by a questionable clipping penalty.
That play is featured as today’s “Strong and True” moment (#112) on the 125 years of Notre Dame football website. The moments are numbered in the order they are released, not based on which are “greatest” or “most significant.”
However, in my opinion, today’s video is one of the best we have had all season, not only due to Rocket’s great recollection of a play that happened nearly 22 years ago, but also because of his emotion in talking about a moment that had a valuable impact on his life.
It’s one thing to see him as a passionate speaker when rallying thousands of cheering fans, but it’s something unique to watch him during a one-on-one interview.
Check out the video below. In particular, it’s the last thirty seconds or so that stand out. He says:
I didn’t understand what it took to really be a champion, at that time in my life. But since then, I’ve come to understand that that moment was very valuable for me.
And in your life, there’s going to be adversity, especially when you desire to do great things. But make up in your mind right now, that come hell or high water, all the people that say it’s impossible, including yourself – and that try to convince you that it can’t – you make up in your mind right now, that you can – and by God’s grace, you will.
Visit 125.nd.edu for more on this game, as well as other moments from the 125 project.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Thanks to @UnderArmour for showing us your vision for the future of @NDFootball. We're just getting started. #IWILL http://t.co/5sy8ecimRe 3 hours ago
- What color will #TheShirt2015 be? Tune in this Sunday @ 6:57pm ET #NDday - sot.ag/3QLsr http://t.co/NEqNb4Uwsl 6 hours ago
- Proud of our very own Mike McGlinchey & "first" year monogram jacket inductees. #GoIrish http://t.co/xIbKzzZgxi 21 hours ago
- In Baltimore meeting w/ @UnderArmour to take advantage of the biggest apparel contract in collegiate sports history. http://t.co/C8sN7oXnAX 22 hours ago
- RT @NDFBStrength: Hypertrophy!! #gainz #irishstrong @BigQ56 http://t.co/fNi3SdxG4o 1 day ago
- Football. Irish Extra: Irish Running Game Displaying Blue-Chip Potential
- Baseball. Irish And Hoosiers Renew Series Tuesday Night At Victory Field In Indianapolis
- M. Lacrosse. Matt Kavanagh Cops ACC Offensive Player of the Week Honors
- Softball. Koerner Slugs Her Way To ACC Player Of The Week Recognition
- M. Tennis. Irish Extra: Irish Men's Doubles Pairing Boasts All-Star Potential
- M. Lacrosse. IRISH EXTRA: Fans Mob Arlotta Stadium Turf After Epic Irish Victory
- M. Ice Hockey. Hockey Hands Out Team Awards
- W. Lacrosse. No. 10 Notre Dame Falls to No. 14 Louisville, 10-8
- Softball. #25 Irish Roll Over Syracuse 12-0 In Five For 23rd Straight Win
- W. Tennis. No. 33 Notre Dame Falls To No. 23 Duke, 4-1