Dec 20, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Everyone knows that Raghib “Rocket” Ismail was one of the most electrifying players to ever put on the gold helmet. If you’ve ever had a chance to hear Rocket at a Notre Dame pep rally, you are also probably aware of how animated he is as a speaker (ex. USC 2009 or Utah 2010).
Earlier this fall, Rocket sat down with Fighting Irish Digital Media in their new studio at the Joyce Center. Among the topics that he spoke about was the 1991 Orange Bowl, and the infamous punt return that was wiped away by a questionable clipping penalty.
That play is featured as today’s “Strong and True” moment (#112) on the 125 years of Notre Dame football website. The moments are numbered in the order they are released, not based on which are “greatest” or “most significant.”
However, in my opinion, today’s video is one of the best we have had all season, not only due to Rocket’s great recollection of a play that happened nearly 22 years ago, but also because of his emotion in talking about a moment that had a valuable impact on his life.
It’s one thing to see him as a passionate speaker when rallying thousands of cheering fans, but it’s something unique to watch him during a one-on-one interview.
Check out the video below. In particular, it’s the last thirty seconds or so that stand out. He says:
I didn’t understand what it took to really be a champion, at that time in my life. But since then, I’ve come to understand that that moment was very valuable for me.
And in your life, there’s going to be adversity, especially when you desire to do great things. But make up in your mind right now, that come hell or high water, all the people that say it’s impossible, including yourself – and that try to convince you that it can’t – you make up in your mind right now, that you can – and by God’s grace, you will.
Visit 125.nd.edu for more on this game, as well as other moments from the 125 project.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Time to lock-in Irish fans. It's GAME TIME! #NDvsNavy http://t.co/lJjwUBGBEP 12 minutes ago
- One of the great Irish traditions. QBs & Lineman enter ND stadium from the student section. #NDvsNAVY http://t.co/GjAmDdrxJr 24 minutes ago
- Get hyped Irish fans! #DBoys are on the field and ready to take care of business. #NDvsNavy http://t.co/ikt44rdJ6u 24 minutes ago
- #ManCaveCrush twitter.com/danawhite/stat… 57 minutes ago
- The tradition continues in one hour. #NDvsNavy http://t.co/v2MWsWva02 1 hour ago
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Boston College
- M. Soccer. Keys To The Game: Duke
- M. Ice Hockey. Hockey Opens Season With 7-5 Exhibition Win Over Guelph
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Earns First ACC Win Of Season At Clemson
- W. Swimming. Women's Swimming & Diving Wins 32nd Dennis Stark Relays
- M. Swimming. Irishmen Win 51st Dennis Stark Relays
- W. Tennis. Gleason, Robinson Take Down Arkansas Duo In Main Draw Consolation
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Falls In Three Sets At All-American Championships
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Hits Road For Matches At Clemson & Georgia Tech
- Football. Pat And Jana Eilers Endow Defensive Backs Coaching Position