Dec 20, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Everyone knows that Raghib “Rocket” Ismail was one of the most electrifying players to ever put on the gold helmet. If you’ve ever had a chance to hear Rocket at a Notre Dame pep rally, you are also probably aware of how animated he is as a speaker (ex. USC 2009 or Utah 2010).
Earlier this fall, Rocket sat down with Fighting Irish Digital Media in their new studio at the Joyce Center. Among the topics that he spoke about was the 1991 Orange Bowl, and the infamous punt return that was wiped away by a questionable clipping penalty.
That play is featured as today’s “Strong and True” moment (#112) on the 125 years of Notre Dame football website. The moments are numbered in the order they are released, not based on which are “greatest” or “most significant.”
However, in my opinion, today’s video is one of the best we have had all season, not only due to Rocket’s great recollection of a play that happened nearly 22 years ago, but also because of his emotion in talking about a moment that had a valuable impact on his life.
It’s one thing to see him as a passionate speaker when rallying thousands of cheering fans, but it’s something unique to watch him during a one-on-one interview.
Check out the video below. In particular, it’s the last thirty seconds or so that stand out. He says:
I didn’t understand what it took to really be a champion, at that time in my life. But since then, I’ve come to understand that that moment was very valuable for me.
And in your life, there’s going to be adversity, especially when you desire to do great things. But make up in your mind right now, that come hell or high water, all the people that say it’s impossible, including yourself – and that try to convince you that it can’t – you make up in your mind right now, that you can – and by God’s grace, you will.
Visit 125.nd.edu for more on this game, as well as other moments from the 125 project.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Tate, Quinn, Theismann, Te'o & Parseghian will appear on the 29-hour #NDday broadcast. More at NotreDameDay.ND.edu http://t.co/LPvfVEvgDN 19 hours ago
- RT @HannahStormESPN: Thanks for chiming in on my longstanding argument with @kennychesney about the merits of @SEC football versus @NDFootb… 1 day ago
- RT @NDFBStrength: What's on the menu today: biceps. Everyday. @AndrewTrumbetti #gainz #irishstrong http://t.co/heXPmu71xC 1 day ago
- RT @NDFBStrength: Leg day tomorrow. @NDFootball players better eat big and get to bed early! #coatofarmour #irishstrong http://t.co/FFsW0ir… 1 day ago
- Thanks to @IsaacRochell & @LuckyLefty8 for taking time out today to speak with LEARN Charter Schools of Chicago, IL. http://t.co/E4NE11vz4l 1 day ago
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Men's Lacrosse: Chasing a Second Straight ACC Crown in Philly
- Track. Irish Solid At Drake, GINA Relays
- Baseball. Youngdahl's Big Night Leads Baseball To 9-5 Win Over Wake Forest
- M. Soccer. Notre Dame Tops Mexico U17s, 2-1, On Aubrey Penalty Kick
- W. Rowing. #RV Irish Win Four Races On First Day Of The Dale England Cup
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Men's Lacrosse Suffers 13-8 Setback To Duke In ACC Semifinals
- M. Golf. Irish Share 10th Place After Day One Of The ACC Championship
- W. Lacrosse. No. 2 North Carolina Downs Irish in ACC Semifinals
- Softball. #24 Irish Honor Seniors, Wrap ACC Play Against #RV North Carolina
- Baseball. Irish Extra: Indianapolis an Extra-Base Hit With Irish and Hoosiers