Dec 20, 2012, 11:21 AM EST
Everyone knows that Raghib “Rocket” Ismail was one of the most electrifying players to ever put on the gold helmet. If you’ve ever had a chance to hear Rocket at a Notre Dame pep rally, you are also probably aware of how animated he is as a speaker (ex. USC 2009 or Utah 2010).
Earlier this fall, Rocket sat down with Fighting Irish Digital Media in their new studio at the Joyce Center. Among the topics that he spoke about was the 1991 Orange Bowl, and the infamous punt return that was wiped away by a questionable clipping penalty.
That play is featured as today’s “Strong and True” moment (#112) on the 125 years of Notre Dame football website. The moments are numbered in the order they are released, not based on which are “greatest” or “most significant.”
However, in my opinion, today’s video is one of the best we have had all season, not only due to Rocket’s great recollection of a play that happened nearly 22 years ago, but also because of his emotion in talking about a moment that had a valuable impact on his life.
It’s one thing to see him as a passionate speaker when rallying thousands of cheering fans, but it’s something unique to watch him during a one-on-one interview.
Check out the video below. In particular, it’s the last thirty seconds or so that stand out. He says:
I didn’t understand what it took to really be a champion, at that time in my life. But since then, I’ve come to understand that that moment was very valuable for me.
And in your life, there’s going to be adversity, especially when you desire to do great things. But make up in your mind right now, that come hell or high water, all the people that say it’s impossible, including yourself – and that try to convince you that it can’t – you make up in your mind right now, that you can – and by God’s grace, you will.
Visit 125.nd.edu for more on this game, as well as other moments from the 125 project.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- The Notre Dame Fighting Irish are ranked 8th in this week @CFBPlayoff 4 hours ago
- Only 2 episodes left! Don't miss the premiere of this week's A Season With Notre Dame Football. 10 PM ET | SHOWTIME https://t.co/uKdefcV9HG 7 hours ago
- RT @CoachSanfordND: Looking for some 951er’s and 909er’s to #JoinTheF16ht 🍀🍀 8 hours ago
- Registration for Notre Dame Football Camps is open! Receive 10% off before December 25th. und.com/footballcamps/… https://t.co/6yJIQqMMEz 9 hours ago
- Jaylon Smith racked up 15 total tackles and one TFL in Saturday night's matchup vs Stanford. #Team127 https://t.co/ibQAlTOWC4 12 hours ago
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Travels to Illinois for Big Ten/ACC Challenge
- M. Basketball. Former Irish Basketball Great Troy Murphy to be Next Ring of Honor Inductee
- Football. An Entertainer On And Off The Field
- M. Tennis. Getting To Know: Alex Lebedev
- Baseball. High Expectations Surround Baseball As Fall Concludes
- M. Swimming. Men’s Swimming Announces Class of 2020 Signees
- W. Basketball. Marina Mabrey Named ACC Rookie of the Week
- W. Soccer. Three To Represent Irish At CONCACAF U-20 Championship
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Vs. Alabama Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. No. 17 Notre Dame Falls in Final Seconds to Alabama, 74-73