Dec 20, 2012, 11:21 AM EST
Everyone knows that Raghib “Rocket” Ismail was one of the most electrifying players to ever put on the gold helmet. If you’ve ever had a chance to hear Rocket at a Notre Dame pep rally, you are also probably aware of how animated he is as a speaker (ex. USC 2009 or Utah 2010).
Earlier this fall, Rocket sat down with Fighting Irish Digital Media in their new studio at the Joyce Center. Among the topics that he spoke about was the 1991 Orange Bowl, and the infamous punt return that was wiped away by a questionable clipping penalty.
That play is featured as today’s “Strong and True” moment (#112) on the 125 years of Notre Dame football website. The moments are numbered in the order they are released, not based on which are “greatest” or “most significant.”
However, in my opinion, today’s video is one of the best we have had all season, not only due to Rocket’s great recollection of a play that happened nearly 22 years ago, but also because of his emotion in talking about a moment that had a valuable impact on his life.
It’s one thing to see him as a passionate speaker when rallying thousands of cheering fans, but it’s something unique to watch him during a one-on-one interview.
Check out the video below. In particular, it’s the last thirty seconds or so that stand out. He says:
I didn’t understand what it took to really be a champion, at that time in my life. But since then, I’ve come to understand that that moment was very valuable for me.
And in your life, there’s going to be adversity, especially when you desire to do great things. But make up in your mind right now, that come hell or high water, all the people that say it’s impossible, including yourself – and that try to convince you that it can’t – you make up in your mind right now, that you can – and by God’s grace, you will.
Visit 125.nd.edu for more on this game, as well as other moments from the 125 project.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- The post practice message was simple. "Earn the respect you deserve on Saturday." #NDvsSTAN https://t.co/aZLCMj5Zfw 10 hours ago
- "The good thing is we have one more game to prove what we are capable of and show who we are." - DeShone Kizer | QB https://t.co/tgQbLS6YRM 15 hours ago
- A win on Saturday is still all that matters. #AccomplishTheMission https://t.co/FA6m0vlr4b 1 day ago
- Don't miss this week's episode of A Season With Notre Dame Football. 10 PM ET | Showtime https://t.co/Y7JTowtxjp 1 day ago
- On this day in 2012 the Notre Dame Fighting Irish defeated USC to earn a National Championship birth in Miami, FL. amp.twimg.com/v/e45edf0d-e35… 1 day ago
- W. Volleyball. Fry, Morningstar Honored By ACC
- Football. Notre Dame-Stanford 2015 Preview: No Question on Irish Stakes This Week
- M. Ice Hockey. No. 18 Irish To Host The Sixth Installment of the Shillelagh Tournament
- Softball. January Softball Instructional Sessions To Be Offered
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Looks To Build Towards 2016 During Final Weekend
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish Ball In Bahamas Over Thanksgiving
- Football. Brian Kelly Weekly Media Conference Transcript - vs. Stanford
- M. Basketball. Carrying On A Legacy
- Football. #4 Irish Aim to Improve to 11-1 on Saturday
- Cross Country. Seidel Named USTFCCCA National Athlete of the Year