Dec 20, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Everyone knows that Raghib “Rocket” Ismail was one of the most electrifying players to ever put on the gold helmet. If you’ve ever had a chance to hear Rocket at a Notre Dame pep rally, you are also probably aware of how animated he is as a speaker (ex. USC 2009 or Utah 2010).
Earlier this fall, Rocket sat down with Fighting Irish Digital Media in their new studio at the Joyce Center. Among the topics that he spoke about was the 1991 Orange Bowl, and the infamous punt return that was wiped away by a questionable clipping penalty.
That play is featured as today’s “Strong and True” moment (#112) on the 125 years of Notre Dame football website. The moments are numbered in the order they are released, not based on which are “greatest” or “most significant.”
However, in my opinion, today’s video is one of the best we have had all season, not only due to Rocket’s great recollection of a play that happened nearly 22 years ago, but also because of his emotion in talking about a moment that had a valuable impact on his life.
It’s one thing to see him as a passionate speaker when rallying thousands of cheering fans, but it’s something unique to watch him during a one-on-one interview.
Check out the video below. In particular, it’s the last thirty seconds or so that stand out. He says:
I didn’t understand what it took to really be a champion, at that time in my life. But since then, I’ve come to understand that that moment was very valuable for me.
And in your life, there’s going to be adversity, especially when you desire to do great things. But make up in your mind right now, that come hell or high water, all the people that say it’s impossible, including yourself – and that try to convince you that it can’t – you make up in your mind right now, that you can – and by God’s grace, you will.
Visit 125.nd.edu for more on this game, as well as other moments from the 125 project.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- We've looked at your votes and the programs with the most votes for NDFB vs _____ are Oregon, Alabama, Ohio State, Nebraska, and Penn St. 15 hours ago
- RT @NDFBEquipment: Helmet reconditioning with @RiddellSports is packed and ready to be picked up #GoIrish http://t.co/t5OAFuMJmt 15 hours ago
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: Great day today in Vero Beach, FL for a UND Celebration. Met some unbelievable alumni and fans. #GoIrish 15 hours ago
- Spring Ball is over and football season feels so far away. We'll help you pass the time. Tell us- who is your dream opponent? NDFB vs ______ 18 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: Now playing at our letter jacket ceremony, here's the short video, "A Notre Dame Monogram." youtu.be/WdkKA711qJ4 18 hours ago
- Baseball. Irish Score Two In The Ninth To Earn 4-3 Road Win Over Toledo
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Enjoy Historic Offensive Night In 17-2 Win Over Toledo
- W. Golf. Notre Dame Plays In Its First ACC Championship This Weekend
- M. Basketball. New Jersey Guard Matt Farrell Set To Join Notre Dame Men's Basketball Program
- Fencing. Fencing Signs Five Freshmen To Next Year's Team
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Loses at No. 13 Ohio State, 12-9
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Close Homestand Against Toledo Wednesday
- W. Rowing. Rowing Recap: Onward To Michigan
- Baseball. Winter Weather Postpones Baseball Game At Michigan State
- Baseball. Baseball Jumps Back Into Action This Week At Michigan State And Toledo