Dec 20, 2012, 11:21 AM EST
Everyone knows that Raghib “Rocket” Ismail was one of the most electrifying players to ever put on the gold helmet. If you’ve ever had a chance to hear Rocket at a Notre Dame pep rally, you are also probably aware of how animated he is as a speaker (ex. USC 2009 or Utah 2010).
Earlier this fall, Rocket sat down with Fighting Irish Digital Media in their new studio at the Joyce Center. Among the topics that he spoke about was the 1991 Orange Bowl, and the infamous punt return that was wiped away by a questionable clipping penalty.
That play is featured as today’s “Strong and True” moment (#112) on the 125 years of Notre Dame football website. The moments are numbered in the order they are released, not based on which are “greatest” or “most significant.”
However, in my opinion, today’s video is one of the best we have had all season, not only due to Rocket’s great recollection of a play that happened nearly 22 years ago, but also because of his emotion in talking about a moment that had a valuable impact on his life.
It’s one thing to see him as a passionate speaker when rallying thousands of cheering fans, but it’s something unique to watch him during a one-on-one interview.
Check out the video below. In particular, it’s the last thirty seconds or so that stand out. He says:
I didn’t understand what it took to really be a champion, at that time in my life. But since then, I’ve come to understand that that moment was very valuable for me.
And in your life, there’s going to be adversity, especially when you desire to do great things. But make up in your mind right now, that come hell or high water, all the people that say it’s impossible, including yourself – and that try to convince you that it can’t – you make up in your mind right now, that you can – and by God’s grace, you will.
Visit 125.nd.edu for more on this game, as well as other moments from the 125 project.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- A win on Saturday is still all that matters. #AccomplishTheMission https://t.co/FA6m0vlr4b 7 minutes ago
- Don't miss this week's episode of A Season With Notre Dame Football. 10 PM ET | Showtime https://t.co/Y7JTowtxjp 2 hours ago
- On this day in 2012 the Notre Dame Fighting Irish defeated USC to earn a National Championship birth in Miami, FL. amp.twimg.com/v/e45edf0d-e35… 4 hours ago
- Jac Collinsworth discovers what Romeo Okwara is doing when he isn't sacking the QB on this week's 1 on 1 exclusive. amp.twimg.com/v/67ab02ff-2fb… 7 hours ago
- Coach Kelly breaks down this weekend's Shamrock Series win over Boston College on this week's InsideNDFB. amp.twimg.com/v/f305544f-878… 10 hours ago
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish Ball In Bahamas Over Thanksgiving
- Football. University of Notre Dame Football Media Conference
- M. Basketball. Carrying On A Legacy
- Football. #4 Irish Aim to Improve to 11-1 on Saturday
- Cross Country. Seidel Named USTFCCCA National Athlete of the Year
- M. Soccer. Soccer Quartet Secures Academic All-America Honors
- W. Soccer. Soccer Quartet Secures Academic All-America Honors
- M. Basketball. #17/18 Notre Dame Heads to Orlando for 2015 AdvoCare Invitational
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #3 Notre Dame 110, Valparaiso 54
- W. Basketball. No. 3 Notre Dame runs away from Valparaiso