Jan 6, 2013, 4:11 PM EDT
On Monday night, Notre Dame students, fans and alums of all ages will take to Sun Life Stadium, hoping to witness the Irish’s twelfth national championship. Among the 78,000 or so who will be in the stadium is Lt. Cmdr. Robert L. Miller, Sr. ’42, ’47 J.D., who completed his undergraduate studies at Notre Dame even before Frank Leahy won his first of four national titles in 1943.
Lt. Cmdr. Miller was recruited by Elmer Layden and offered a scholarship in 1939. He graduated with an accounting degree in 1942 and a law degree in 1947. His daughter, Mindy Moore, believes her father will be the oldest “Double Domer” in the stadium on Monday.
Lt. Cmdr. Miller was the 2011 recipient of Notre Dame’s prestigious Corby Award, conferred on an alumnus/alumna (living or deceased) who has distinguished himself or herself in military service. A former Superior Court Judge, he was a Naval officer in World War II and received the Purple Heart for wounds inflicted during the battle of Okinawa. He was recalled to active duty to serve during the Korean War and retired with the rank of lieutenant commander.
Having earned his law degree at Notre Dame, Lt. Cmdr. Miller remained involved in veterans’ issues during his career as a lawyer and judge. He founded “Miller’s Vets” in 2009 to assist impoverished Veterans, giving them housing, military uniforms, “boot camp” refreshers, and chances to participate in parades and community events.
Miller’s Vets prides itself on its “Last Salute,” a program that offers military funerals at no charge to Veterans in need, providing a casket, undertaker services, 21-gun salute, and internment at Miller’s Vets Garden of Peace in South Bend.
Thanks to Mindy Moore for her contributions to this post.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- M. Ice Hockey. NCAA Northeast Regional Awaits
- Swimming & Diving. No. 19 Notre Dame Men's Swimming and Diving Set to Compete at NCAA Championships
- W. Soccer. Yu Heads To Camp With U-23 Women's National Team
- Fencing. Keys To The Meet: 2017 NCAA Fencing Championships
- Swimming & Diving. Inside Irish: 2017 NCAA Division I Women's Swimming and Diving Championships
- Baseball. Irish Walk By Huskies
- Softball. Irish Mark Return To Melissa Cook Stadium Vs. MSU
- Baseball. Irish Finally Take Field At Home
- M. Golf. Risedorph Awarded 2017 Merchandiser of the Year
- W. Golf. Risedorph Awarded 2017 Merchandiser of the Year