Jan 6, 2013, 4:11 PM EST
On Monday night, Notre Dame students, fans and alums of all ages will take to Sun Life Stadium, hoping to witness the Irish’s twelfth national championship. Among the 78,000 or so who will be in the stadium is Lt. Cmdr. Robert L. Miller, Sr. ’42, ’47 J.D., who completed his undergraduate studies at Notre Dame even before Frank Leahy won his first of four national titles in 1943.
Lt. Cmdr. Miller was recruited by Elmer Layden and offered a scholarship in 1939. He graduated with an accounting degree in 1942 and a law degree in 1947. His daughter, Mindy Moore, believes her father will be the oldest “Double Domer” in the stadium on Monday.
Lt. Cmdr. Miller was the 2011 recipient of Notre Dame’s prestigious Corby Award, conferred on an alumnus/alumna (living or deceased) who has distinguished himself or herself in military service. A former Superior Court Judge, he was a Naval officer in World War II and received the Purple Heart for wounds inflicted during the battle of Okinawa. He was recalled to active duty to serve during the Korean War and retired with the rank of lieutenant commander.
Having earned his law degree at Notre Dame, Lt. Cmdr. Miller remained involved in veterans’ issues during his career as a lawyer and judge. He founded “Miller’s Vets” in 2009 to assist impoverished Veterans, giving them housing, military uniforms, “boot camp” refreshers, and chances to participate in parades and community events.
Miller’s Vets prides itself on its “Last Salute,” a program that offers military funerals at no charge to Veterans in need, providing a casket, undertaker services, 21-gun salute, and internment at Miller’s Vets Garden of Peace in South Bend.
Thanks to Mindy Moore for her contributions to this post.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: To our Super Bowl winners David & Ryan, Congratulations! From AD Jack Swarbrick & the entire @NotreDame Community. htt… 7 hours ago
- From one ND Long Snapper to another... Congrats to J.J. Jansen on a great season. twitter.com/sdaly61/status… 8 hours ago
- Congrats Ryan & David! SUPER BOWL 50 CHAMPIONS! https://t.co/Mwgxy7F7RF 8 hours ago
- TAILS NEVER FAILS 🏈 ND great and 3-time Super Bowl MVP Joe Montana did the coin toss at Super Bowl 50. https://t.co/mM7k6CuBD9 11 hours ago
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: ONLY the BIGGEST games get a flyover from the Navy's Blue Angels! Good luck to our 3 ND alums in the Super Bowl. http… 12 hours ago
- M. Basketball. Irish Head To Clemson For A Key ACC Battle
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #3 Notre Dame 66, #13 Louisville 61
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish Rally Past #13 Louisville, 66-61
- Fencing. No. 2 Irish Women Remain Undefeated At Duke Duals
- M. Tennis. No. 36 Irish Snare Doubleheader Wins over No. 53 Indiana, Ball State
- M. Basketball. Sunday Brunch: Golden Irish Motor Past Heels
- M. Basketball. Postgame Quotes
- M. Ice Hockey. Petersen Leads No. 10 Irish to 3-1 Win and Weekend Sweep at Vermont
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame takes down #2 North Carolina, 80-76
- W. Lacrosse. #7 Irish Earn Sweet Win at Jacksonville