Jan 7, 2013, 4:42 PM EDT
129 days ago, Notre Dame began its season in Dublin, Ireland.
Four hours from now, the Fighting Irish play for the national championship.
It’s been tough to comprehend, and even as I sit here in front of the field, it’s still kind of hard to believe.
Tonight is the moment these players and coaches have worked for their entire football lives. It’s the moment students could only imagine in their wildest dreams, the moment alumni and fans have dreamed about since 1988.
Throughout today, I have kind of felt how I did the day before graduation. Just thinking about the moment, it was hard not to get a little emotional just thinking about what’s going to happen. I don’t know how I’m going to feel when the game begins, and I really have no idea how I will react when it ends.
I do know one thing, however. Win or lose, I will remember this for the rest of my life.
Notre Dame may get back to the national championship. Who knows, the Fighting Irish may even make another BCS run next year.
But it will never feel this way again. Throughout this incredible, unpredictable, amazing season, we’ve become so emotionally invested in this team because the story of these players and coaches is about so much more than being 12-0. It’s about The A-Team and Count On Me. It’s about an Irish Catholic head coach and a Hawaiian Mormon linebacker. It’s about Irish Chocolate and Trick Shot Monday. It’s about these seniors and what they’ve been through. It’s about the countless other stories and anecdotes we’ve heard and read about during the past several months. This group has been an inspiration for millions, even some who previously had no affinity for Notre Dame.
Whether you’re watching in the stadium or in the parking lots, at a bar or in the comfort of your home, soak in every single minute – every single second – of tonight.
Having watched the Fighting Irish develop over the past two seasons, I feel incredibly blessed and privileged to have been a part of this journey. I love this university and I love this team. This is the chance of a lifetime and I’m thankful for all the people that helped me get here.
Go Irish. Beat Bama.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Sorry guys couldn't resist. @FightingIrish getting their flex on in Olympia today. #GreeceBouND #HerculesHercules http://t.co/6XWn4N4hZY 16 hours ago
- RT @NDFBEquipment: I sure hope the Fantasy Campers are in shape and ready to wear this gear next week #GoIrish http://t.co/dLWj0Wvqd0 20 hours ago
- Take a look at who the NFL ranked #1 for college football's best historical uniforms. nfl.com/photoessays/0a… http://t.co/OGjJygXCzK 1 day ago
- Honoring the men and women in our armed services. #GodCountryNotreDame http://t.co/ONpEapMxEH 2 days ago
- Good luck to @NDlacrosse v. Denver in @NCAA_Lax Final 4 today. Watch your Irish on ESPN2 at 1PM ET. #WeAreND #IWILL http://t.co/AIi6wUQcoQ 4 days ago
- Softball. Koerner Earns Irish Record Third All-America Honor
- General News. Notre Dame Athletics Leads the Way in NCAA APR Four-Year Numbers
- Track. Irish Geared For NCAA East Preliminary Championship
- W. Basketball. Irish Host Ohio State In Big Ten/ACC Women's Basketball Challenge
- Fencing. I Am Strong, If You Are Strong: A Tribute to Billy Meckling
- Baseball. Irish Extra: Notre Dame Baseball Sees Big Jump Up the Curve
- Softball. Irish Great Koerner Inks Contract With USSSA Pride
- W. Soccer. Romagnolo's First Season Set Tone For Irish Soccer
- Baseball. Baseball In NCAA Regionals For First Time Since 2006
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Falls In NCAA Singles Championship Semifinal