Jan 16, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
Before last week’s BCS championship game, ESPN aired a feature on Sam Grewe, a 14-year old from Middlebury, Ind. who was adopted by the Notre Dame football team in spring 2012.
During Christmas week 2011, he was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma, a cancer in the bone. While preparing for a rare Van Ness rotationplasty, the Irish welcomed Sam and his family to the Gug for a special ceremony.
The players wore Grewe Crew shirts and wristbands with the slogan “We play for Sam.” It was a moving moment, and throughout the 2012 season, Sam became as much a part of the team as any of the players.
With so many Fighting Irish fans traveling to South Florida for the big game, there’s a good chance you missed Sam’s inspiring story on television. As they so often do, Tom Rinaldi’s segment tugs at the heartstrings. It reminds you of all that is good in the world of sports, and why Notre Dame holds a special place in each of our lives. Luckily, it’s available to watch on YouTube.
While you’re at it, read Jason Wright’s article on Notre Dame’s adopted brother.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- I just uploaded "1516 Texas Primer Edit Master 1" to @Vimeo: vimeo.com/138328534 1 hour ago
- It's awesome baby!!! twitter.com/dickiev/status… 2 hours ago
- One. More. Day. #Team127 http://t.co/fY3gzbfYEG 2 hours ago
- RT @MikeAndMike: Retweet if you're as excited as Golic is for the start of college football season. #TBT http://t.co/5Y3JSmVrFR 17 hours ago
- Don't miss The Brian Kelly Radio Show tonight at 7:30pm from O'Rourkes. Or watch live at: UND.com/BKRadioShow http://t.co/g55tjKQ7eP 19 hours ago
- Football. Pride and Resiliency Fueled 1970 Notre Dame Football Team
- Football. Jack Chevigny: Gridiron Star and Battlefield Hero
- Monogram Club. Catching Up With The Monogram Club
- Cross Country. Keys to the Race: Crusader Open
- W. Volleyball. Jim McLaughlin: New Irish Volleyball Boss Is All About the Numbers
- M. Soccer. Keys To The Game: South Florida
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Western Michigan
- Monogram Club. Deceased Members Of The Irish Football Family To Be Honored Saturday
- Football. New NCAA Ruling Shortens Football Pre-Game Festivities
- M. Tennis. Irish Tennis Legend Jimmy Evert Dies At 91