Jan 16, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
Before last week’s BCS championship game, ESPN aired a feature on Sam Grewe, a 14-year old from Middlebury, Ind. who was adopted by the Notre Dame football team in spring 2012.
During Christmas week 2011, he was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma, a cancer in the bone. While preparing for a rare Van Ness rotationplasty, the Irish welcomed Sam and his family to the Gug for a special ceremony.
The players wore Grewe Crew shirts and wristbands with the slogan “We play for Sam.” It was a moving moment, and throughout the 2012 season, Sam became as much a part of the team as any of the players.
With so many Fighting Irish fans traveling to South Florida for the big game, there’s a good chance you missed Sam’s inspiring story on television. As they so often do, Tom Rinaldi’s segment tugs at the heartstrings. It reminds you of all that is good in the world of sports, and why Notre Dame holds a special place in each of our lives. Luckily, it’s available to watch on YouTube.
While you’re at it, read Jason Wright’s article on Notre Dame’s adopted brother.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- The grind never stops. Take a look inside our 25,000-square foot weight room. #IrishStrong 💪 https://t.co/o3Jweb2ZkG 2 days ago
- RT @SInow: Harrison Smith, the NFL’s most anonymous star, prefers to fly under the radar (by @Ben_Baskin) on.si.com/2dO5RnT https://t… 2 days ago
- RT @ELITHEMAN1: 🚨🚨I HAVE MADE MY COLLEGE DECISION !!!🚨 🚨 Shoutout to @TomLoy247 for putting this video together for me https://t.co/rbp5gw… 4 days ago
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: #WeAreND 4 days ago
- RT @CjHo1mes: Champions Wanna Play With Champions ☘️☘️... Lets Keep Growing! #IRISHELI17E 💪🏾 4 days ago
- M. Ice Hockey. #3/4 Irish Fall in Overtime to Penn State
- M. Tennis. Irish Play Into Quarterfinal Rounds At ITA Regional
- Swimming & Diving. No.14 Fighting Irish Stay Undefeated in Season Beating No.22 Georgia Tech in First Dual ACC Meet
- W. Rowing. Club Four Claims Third At Head of the Charles
- M. Ice Hockey. Gross Leads #3/4 Irish To Comeback Tie
- Swimming & Diving. Strong Start for Fighting Irish in Day 1 of Dual Meet Against No. 22 Georgia Tech
- M. Soccer. #4 Irish End Road Trip With 2-1 Defeat In Double Overtime At Duke
- M. Tennis. Irish Impress In First Rounds Of ITA Regional Play
- W. Volleyball. Irish Sweep Pitt in Strong Performance on the Road
- W. Tennis. Irish Stand Tall At ITA And IU Regionals