Jan 16, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
Before last week’s BCS championship game, ESPN aired a feature on Sam Grewe, a 14-year old from Middlebury, Ind. who was adopted by the Notre Dame football team in spring 2012.
During Christmas week 2011, he was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma, a cancer in the bone. While preparing for a rare Van Ness rotationplasty, the Irish welcomed Sam and his family to the Gug for a special ceremony.
The players wore Grewe Crew shirts and wristbands with the slogan “We play for Sam.” It was a moving moment, and throughout the 2012 season, Sam became as much a part of the team as any of the players.
With so many Fighting Irish fans traveling to South Florida for the big game, there’s a good chance you missed Sam’s inspiring story on television. As they so often do, Tom Rinaldi’s segment tugs at the heartstrings. It reminds you of all that is good in the world of sports, and why Notre Dame holds a special place in each of our lives. Luckily, it’s available to watch on YouTube.
While you’re at it, read Jason Wright’s article on Notre Dame’s adopted brother.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @NDFBStrength: Office- where the magic happens. #battlescars #irishstrong http://t.co/7Iolov9Wrf 1 day ago
- . @koymonster is the sixth-straight @NDFootball starting tight end and 28th overall to get selected in the NFL Draft #NFLDraft #bertschybits 3 days ago
- With the 229th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select Ben Koyack, TE. http://t.co/5dmik3kVGc 3 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Now & Soon. Keep tabs on the historic Campus Crossroads Project with construction webcams at Crossroads.ND.edu htt… 4 days ago
- Congrats to Grace & Robinson who brought home awards at last night's Notre Dame Athletics OSCARS awards. #goirish http://t.co/pPOXD969qz 5 days ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Gilbert and Jenkins Added to Signing Class
- General News. Notre Dame Joins Elite List in Producing #1 Pro Draft Picks
- Football. Notre Dame Joins Elite List in Producing #1 Pro Draft Picks
- Softball. #21 Irish Seeded Third For Second ACC Championship Appearance
- Fencing. Lee Kiefer: Student, Athlete, World Traveler and Still So Much More
- W. Lacrosse. Barbara Sullivan Named ACC Defensive Player of the Year
- Baseball. Irish Extra: Irish Baseball Program Underscores Fight Against ALS
- M. Lacrosse. Conor Doyle Named ACC Offensive Player of the Week
- Monogram Club. Ashley Armstrong And Peter Schneider Receive Monogram Club Postgraduate Scholarships
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse To Face Ohio State in NCAA First Round