Jun 12, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
125 golfers convened at Lost Dunes Golf Club in Bridgman, Mich., this morning for yet another Kelly Cares Irish Legends Golf Outing.
As the patrons began to trickle in, you could see that Lou Holtz and Ara Parseghian were not the only Irish legends who would be showing up to support the Kelly Cares Foundation.
From my recollection, former Governor of Indiana and @NDBaseball catcher Joe Kernan, former @NDFootball star Reggie Brooks, former @NDFootball coach Gerry Faust, @NDMensGolf alum and @PGATOURCanada card holder Max Scodro (@MScodro) and @ESPN college football analyst Mark May (@Mark_May) joined Holtz and Parseghian at the event.
Prior to the event, the @NDfidm team of Jack Nolan and Gary Pacszesny interviewed May and Holtz together in front of May’s famed leprechaun suit that was worn by May on set after the Notre Dame football team completed an undefeated regular season. No knowing the suit would be there, May let out an audible groan followed by nervous laughter before beginning his interview.
Many Irish fans may dislike May for what he says on television, but from my personal interaction with him today, he was a great guy, allowing anyone to pick his brain about the current happenings of college football.
After watching the interview with Holtz and May (which can soon be seen on UND.com), the festivities began to get underway at the clubhouse.
Food, drinks, conversation and photos with Coach Kelly, Holtz and Parseghian were on the docket before golf began. After each golf team had the opportunity to take a picture with the trio they headed out to warm up for their upcoming round.
Coach Kelly met with the media for a few minutes then hit the course with his foursome.
After the golfers began, myself and a members of the football support staff had the opportunity to sit down with Coach Parseghian for lunch, hearing stories from years gone by. The best part about the conversation was how candid Coach was in conversation, always willing to talk about the topic that was brought up by other members of the table. We talked about how to throw a splitfinger, @NDBaseball‘s Eric Jagielo (@E_Jagielo) signing with the @Yankees, how Bo Jackson was too athletic for his own good, the ‘Cradle of Coaches’ and what type of ice cream everyone wanted (FYI, don’t offer Coach Parseghian ice cream with cherries, “They don’t go together”).
It was not only a great day at work for me, but a great day for @KellyCares in their continued effort to promote breast cancer awareness, support those in need, fund valuable research and encourage prevention.
To find out more about Kelly Cares, ways you can help and other events in your area, go to KellyCaresFoundation.org.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Notre Dame has been named the FWAA National Team of the Week for its 49-14 win over rival USC. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/MzgtWuw5mP 4 hours ago
- RT @dallascowboys: Jaylon!!! #DALvsSF https://t.co/fzAhaP2pFt 7 hours ago
- It's GAMEWEEK! The Irish and the Wolfpack go head-to-head this Saturday at Notre Dame Stadium. #GoIrish ☘… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- Eight weeks into season and this is still accurate. #GoIrish ☘ #MondayMotivation twitter.com/NDFootball/sta… 11 hours ago
- RT @SInow: Welcome to the Heisman race, Josh Adams on.si.com/2hW97kq https://t.co/nEDIrHK7UG 12 hours ago
- W. Basketball. Kayla McBride - Next Inductee into Ring of Honor
- Football. Notre Dame-USC: What the Irish Learned
- W. Rowing. Championship Eight, Four Compete At Head Of The Charles
- W. Volleyball. Irish Stun Miami In Incredible 3-2 Comeback Victory
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In ITA Midwest Regional Quarterfinal
- Football. Replay: Trojans No Match for Physical Irish
- M. Golf. Irish to Compete in Final Fall Tournament
- W. Soccer. Irish Complete Sweep Through Florida With 2-1 Win Over Miami
- Football. Irish Bring Home Shillelagh in Emphatic 49-14 Win
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Advances At ITA Midwest Regional Championships