Jun 12, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
125 golfers convened at Lost Dunes Golf Club in Bridgman, Mich., this morning for yet another Kelly Cares Irish Legends Golf Outing.
As the patrons began to trickle in, you could see that Lou Holtz and Ara Parseghian were not the only Irish legends who would be showing up to support the Kelly Cares Foundation.
From my recollection, former Governor of Indiana and @NDBaseball catcher Joe Kernan, former @NDFootball star Reggie Brooks, former @NDFootball coach Gerry Faust, @NDMensGolf alum and @PGATOURCanada card holder Max Scodro (@MScodro) and @ESPN college football analyst Mark May (@Mark_May) joined Holtz and Parseghian at the event.
Prior to the event, the @NDfidm team of Jack Nolan and Gary Pacszesny interviewed May and Holtz together in front of May’s famed leprechaun suit that was worn by May on set after the Notre Dame football team completed an undefeated regular season. No knowing the suit would be there, May let out an audible groan followed by nervous laughter before beginning his interview.
Many Irish fans may dislike May for what he says on television, but from my personal interaction with him today, he was a great guy, allowing anyone to pick his brain about the current happenings of college football.
After watching the interview with Holtz and May (which can soon be seen on UND.com), the festivities began to get underway at the clubhouse.
Food, drinks, conversation and photos with Coach Kelly, Holtz and Parseghian were on the docket before golf began. After each golf team had the opportunity to take a picture with the trio they headed out to warm up for their upcoming round.
Coach Kelly met with the media for a few minutes then hit the course with his foursome.
After the golfers began, myself and a members of the football support staff had the opportunity to sit down with Coach Parseghian for lunch, hearing stories from years gone by. The best part about the conversation was how candid Coach was in conversation, always willing to talk about the topic that was brought up by other members of the table. We talked about how to throw a splitfinger, @NDBaseball‘s Eric Jagielo (@E_Jagielo) signing with the @Yankees, how Bo Jackson was too athletic for his own good, the ‘Cradle of Coaches’ and what type of ice cream everyone wanted (FYI, don’t offer Coach Parseghian ice cream with cherries, “They don’t go together”).
It was not only a great day at work for me, but a great day for @KellyCares in their continued effort to promote breast cancer awareness, support those in need, fund valuable research and encourage prevention.
To find out more about Kelly Cares, ways you can help and other events in your area, go to KellyCaresFoundation.org.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- One week until National Signing Day! "I’ve been coming to ND games since I was 7. I’ve always wanted to come here.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 12 hours ago
- Seven days until Signing Day: The Irish have seven Heisman Trophy winners. #GoIrish ☘ #IrishBouND18 https://t.co/OENHBjDcCg 17 hours ago
- 🙌🏽 @BigQ56 is a unanimous All-American after earning First Team honors on all five NCAA recognized teams.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 20 hours ago
- Last but certainly not least! @mmcglinch68 and @BigQ56 have been named AFCA First Team All-Americans. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/rzFziPGnrG 20 hours ago
- Getting physical in practice 4 😤 #GoIrish ☘ #BeatTigers https://t.co/wV0nwkDKjt 22 hours ago
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Indiana - Five Things To Know
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named 34th Unanimous All-American In School History
- M. Tennis. Irish On Tour: Pro Round-Up
- W. Volleyball. DeJarld Named AVCA Honorable Mention All-American
- W. Soccer. Yu Garners United Soccer Coaches Academic All-Region Honors
- Cheerleading. Notre Dame Leprechaun Tryout Information
- Swimming & Diving. Where The Irish Stand At The Break
- M. Tennis. Kempin, Lebedev Named Irish Men's Tennis Captains
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named First-Team Sporting News All-American
- Fencing. Irish Fencers Excel At December NAC