Aug 28, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
During the football season, a group of five Notre Dame bloggers join forces to ask one another questions and see who can come up with the best and most clever responses. The group of five includes Her Loyal Sons, Inside the Irish, Subway Domer, ND Nation and NDSportsBlogger (the guy writing this).
It’s Temple week, so it’s the first edition of the 2013 Irish Blogger Gathering.
Here are the links to the other ‘gatherings’ that took place around the interweb:
(Links become live once posted)
For this edition I had the opportunity to ask the guys at ND Nation a triumvirate of mind-bending questions: Here we go!
- 1. Many have called Tommy Rees the second coming, Reesus, etc… So what can we expect from Tommy this year?
- NDN: “I wish I could remember who said this first because I believe it describes the situation perfectly: Tommy Rees can be an effective quarterback in the correct kind of offense, but that offense, by its nature, will not be effective against top-flight defenses.Rees’ strengths and limitations have not changed. While the strengths (especially above the neck) will serve Notre Dame well, I’m concerned the limitations (especially below the neck) will hold them back. I’m encouraged by the stories in the preseason about him increasing his overall body strength. If that can translate to an extended range on his throws, one critical limitation can be mitigated.For Notre Dame to return to the BCS this year, Tommy Rees has to show he’s a multi-dimensional quarterback, or at least that his feet can be employed as a weapon. If opposing defenses don’t have to respect the possibility of Rees gaining yards on the ground, they can overplay the middle routes to which he makes his most effective throws, which will make it difficult for Notre Dame to score points. Fortunately, I believe this year’s defense will be up to the task of putting the Irish in position to win games, so all is not lost.”
- 2. Fall camp is finishing up, so who do you believe is the breakthrough player this year on the offensive and defensive side of the ball? And why?
- NDN: “The breakthrough player on defense will be defensive end Sheldon Day. He showed the ability to contribute last season and with Kapron Lewis-Moore gone and more pressure put on the linebackers with Manti Te’o’s graduation, the defensive line becomes a critical position. Springmann’s loss is crucial, but I believe Day will step in very effectively.
The breakthrough player on offense will be running back Amir Carlisle. Much has been made of the talent level at wide receiver this year, and I think defensive coordinators will try to shut that avenue down for Notre Dame. This will create opportunities for the ground game and I think Chuck Martin will take full advantage. Carlisle has great quickness and with Greg Bryant pushing him for playing time, will maintain a good focus. I believe Carlisle will be good for over 1,000 yards this season.”
- 3. Finally, prediction time. End of year record? Which bowl game? Any postseason awards coming back to South Bend?
- NDN: “Let’s see how fine a point I can put on this:I believe Notre Dame will finish 10-2. They’ll beat the Big Three (MI, OK, SC), all in low-scoring games, but have a lapse vs. Michigan State and they’ll be upset by Arizona State in North Texas. I think Stanford is overrated this season and Notre Dame will win the season finale to clinch a BCS berth. Ohio State will play the SEC champion in the BCS Championship Game, so the Rose Bowl will select the Irish to play Oregon, a game Notre Dame will win.The Irish won’t garner any postseason awards, but Amir Carlisle will get some Heisman votes and will be the favorite for next season provided he returns for his senior year.”
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- CJ PROSISE ➡️ Seattle Time for the next level. #NFLDraft #NDinTheNFL https://t.co/fhHwRkLmwW 5 hours ago
- RT @autrydenson: Congrats @KingPRO_20 Seattle got a 1st round talent for a steal. God luck you've earned it. Love you kid! https://t.co/gXr… 5 hours ago
- ROUND 3. PICK 90. CJ Prosise | RB Petersburg ➡️ Notre Dame ➡️ Seattle #NFLDraft #NDinTheNFL https://t.co/i45eURdNyq 6 hours ago
- RT @CoachMikeElston: Had to swing by and see Smooth at his draft party in Fort Wayne! Love this guy! Cowboys got a steal!!☘ https://t.co/M… 6 hours ago
- KEIVARAE RUSSELL ➡️ Kansas City The whole world watchin'. #NFLDraft #NDinTheNFL https://t.co/QKAGdKw4fq 6 hours ago
- Football. Two Fighting Irish Players Off the Board in Third Round of NFL Draft
- W. Lacrosse. #6 Notre Dame Loses To #4 Syracuse in ACC Semifinal
- Football. Two Fighting Irish Players Off the Board in Second Round of NFL Draft
- Baseball. Solomon Strikes Out Ten Batters As The Irish Notch 2-1 Victory Over Ohio
- Monogram Club. Sarah Kappers And Brian Talcott Receive Monogram Club Postgraduate Scholarships
- Baseball. Notre Dame Welcomes In Ohio For Non-Conference Series
- Softball. Diamond Details: Louisville (Strikeout Cancer)
- Track. Keys to the Meet: Drake Relays
- Football. Will Fuller Selected No. 21 Overall by the Houston Texans
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Advance to ACC Semifinals With 12-10 Win Over Louisville