Sep 2, 2013, 3:49 PM EDT
“Beyond The Box Score With Brian Fremeau” is a weekly series that takes you inside the stats with in-depth analysis through numbers and graphics. Fremeau, a 1999 graduate of Notre Dame, is a longtime writer for ESPN Insider, Football Outsiders and his personal graphical analysis website, BCFToys.com.
Notre Dame defeated Temple 28-6 on Saturday with a dynamic offense that featured 188 yards rushing and 355 yards through the air. Five Irish running backs carried the ball, and seven Irish receivers caught passes. Quarterback Tommy Rees completed 16 of 23 passes for a career-high 346 yards, with three touchdowns and no interceptions.
The Notre Dame offense featured eight plays that covered at least 20 yards, six of which figured prominently in Notre Dame’s four touchdown drives of the game. On those four drives, Notre Dame racked up 324 yards on only 14 plays, an average of 23.1 yards per play. Cumulatively, those possessions rank as the most explosive drives of the Brian Kelly era at Notre Dame.
The yards per play measures on scoring and non-scoring drives in every Notre Dame game played since 2010 are illustrated in the chart above. The victory over Temple marked only the second time in that span that the Irish averaged better than 15 yards per play on scoring drives, and only the eighth time since 2010 that the Irish averaged better than 10 yards per play on scoring drives. The highest single-game marks in this stat in each season since 2010 are indicated on the chart.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @NDFootball: Their 4 years at ND are over - but the 40 year decision our guys made is just starting. Congrats to Class of 2017 on Comme… 13 hours ago
- Rally sons of Notre Dame... #4for40 👀@Isaacrochell90 @Lucky9Lefty (📷 @mattcashore) https://t.co/FBOKUGXzDC 19 hours ago
- They played 80 combined games with the Gold helmets on - now James Onwualu & Torii Hunter Jr are Notre Dame Grads!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 21 hours ago
- ☘️Bivin. ☘️McGlinchey. ☘️Bongiovi. ☘️Smythe. All now Notre Dame grads! #4for40 https://t.co/2S9vUtfPia 22 hours ago
- To the Class of 2017 - Thanks for all you gave to this University and we can't wait to see what you do next!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 22 hours ago
- Softball. Cal Steals 5-3 Decision From Irish
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: Denver Roars Past Irish
- Baseball. ACC Baseball Championship Next Stop For Irish
- Softball. Irish Topple ETSU In Extras, 7-6
- General News. Sunday Brunch: Kiefer Best of the Best
- Baseball. Postseason Bound Irish Fall In Finale
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Fall To Denver In NCAA Championship Quarterfinals
- Baseball. Irish Drop A Wild One To Eagles
- Softball. Cal Takes Auburn Regional Opener Over Irish 6-2
- Baseball. BC Uses Late Inning Push To Beat Irish