Sep 2, 2013, 3:49 PM EST
“Beyond The Box Score With Brian Fremeau” is a weekly series that takes you inside the stats with in-depth analysis through numbers and graphics. Fremeau, a 1999 graduate of Notre Dame, is a longtime writer for ESPN Insider, Football Outsiders and his personal graphical analysis website, BCFToys.com.
Notre Dame defeated Temple 28-6 on Saturday with a dynamic offense that featured 188 yards rushing and 355 yards through the air. Five Irish running backs carried the ball, and seven Irish receivers caught passes. Quarterback Tommy Rees completed 16 of 23 passes for a career-high 346 yards, with three touchdowns and no interceptions.
The Notre Dame offense featured eight plays that covered at least 20 yards, six of which figured prominently in Notre Dame’s four touchdown drives of the game. On those four drives, Notre Dame racked up 324 yards on only 14 plays, an average of 23.1 yards per play. Cumulatively, those possessions rank as the most explosive drives of the Brian Kelly era at Notre Dame.
The yards per play measures on scoring and non-scoring drives in every Notre Dame game played since 2010 are illustrated in the chart above. The victory over Temple marked only the second time in that span that the Irish averaged better than 15 yards per play on scoring drives, and only the eighth time since 2010 that the Irish averaged better than 10 yards per play on scoring drives. The highest single-game marks in this stat in each season since 2010 are indicated on the chart.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- One week until National Signing Day! "I’ve been coming to ND games since I was 7. I’ve always wanted to come here.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 12 hours ago
- Seven days until Signing Day: The Irish have seven Heisman Trophy winners. #GoIrish ☘ #IrishBouND18 https://t.co/OENHBjDcCg 17 hours ago
- 🙌🏽 @BigQ56 is a unanimous All-American after earning First Team honors on all five NCAA recognized teams.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 20 hours ago
- Last but certainly not least! @mmcglinch68 and @BigQ56 have been named AFCA First Team All-Americans. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/rzFziPGnrG 20 hours ago
- Getting physical in practice 4 😤 #GoIrish ☘ #BeatTigers https://t.co/wV0nwkDKjt 22 hours ago
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Indiana - Five Things To Know
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named 34th Unanimous All-American In School History
- M. Tennis. Irish On Tour: Pro Round-Up
- W. Volleyball. DeJarld Named AVCA Honorable Mention All-American
- W. Soccer. Yu Garners United Soccer Coaches Academic All-Region Honors
- Cheerleading. Notre Dame Leprechaun Tryout Information
- Swimming & Diving. Where The Irish Stand At The Break
- M. Tennis. Kempin, Lebedev Named Irish Men's Tennis Captains
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named First-Team Sporting News All-American
- Fencing. Irish Fencers Excel At December NAC