Sep 2, 2013, 3:49 PM EDT
“Beyond The Box Score With Brian Fremeau” is a weekly series that takes you inside the stats with in-depth analysis through numbers and graphics. Fremeau, a 1999 graduate of Notre Dame, is a longtime writer for ESPN Insider, Football Outsiders and his personal graphical analysis website, BCFToys.com.
Notre Dame defeated Temple 28-6 on Saturday with a dynamic offense that featured 188 yards rushing and 355 yards through the air. Five Irish running backs carried the ball, and seven Irish receivers caught passes. Quarterback Tommy Rees completed 16 of 23 passes for a career-high 346 yards, with three touchdowns and no interceptions.
The Notre Dame offense featured eight plays that covered at least 20 yards, six of which figured prominently in Notre Dame’s four touchdown drives of the game. On those four drives, Notre Dame racked up 324 yards on only 14 plays, an average of 23.1 yards per play. Cumulatively, those possessions rank as the most explosive drives of the Brian Kelly era at Notre Dame.
The yards per play measures on scoring and non-scoring drives in every Notre Dame game played since 2010 are illustrated in the chart above. The victory over Temple marked only the second time in that span that the Irish averaged better than 15 yards per play on scoring drives, and only the eighth time since 2010 that the Irish averaged better than 10 yards per play on scoring drives. The highest single-game marks in this stat in each season since 2010 are indicated on the chart.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Notre Dame has been named the FWAA National Team of the Week for its 49-14 win over rival USC. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/MzgtWuw5mP 4 hours ago
- RT @dallascowboys: Jaylon!!! #DALvsSF https://t.co/fzAhaP2pFt 8 hours ago
- It's GAMEWEEK! The Irish and the Wolfpack go head-to-head this Saturday at Notre Dame Stadium. #GoIrish ☘… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- Eight weeks into season and this is still accurate. #GoIrish ☘ #MondayMotivation twitter.com/NDFootball/sta… 11 hours ago
- RT @SInow: Welcome to the Heisman race, Josh Adams on.si.com/2hW97kq https://t.co/nEDIrHK7UG 12 hours ago
- M. Golf. Irish Within Striking Distance Heading into Final Round at Quail Valley
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Wrap Nonconference Play At #9 MSU
- W. Volleyball. Yeadon Named ACC Co-Player Of The Week
- W. Basketball. Kayla McBride - Next Inductee into Ring of Honor
- Football. Notre Dame-USC: What the Irish Learned
- W. Rowing. Championship Eight, Four Compete At Head Of The Charles
- W. Volleyball. Irish Stun Miami In Incredible 3-2 Comeback Victory
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In ITA Midwest Regional Quarterfinal
- Football. Replay: Trojans No Match for Physical Irish
- M. Golf. Irish to Compete in Final Fall Tournament