Sep 2, 2013, 3:49 PM EDT
“Beyond The Box Score With Brian Fremeau” is a weekly series that takes you inside the stats with in-depth analysis through numbers and graphics. Fremeau, a 1999 graduate of Notre Dame, is a longtime writer for ESPN Insider, Football Outsiders and his personal graphical analysis website, BCFToys.com.
Notre Dame defeated Temple 28-6 on Saturday with a dynamic offense that featured 188 yards rushing and 355 yards through the air. Five Irish running backs carried the ball, and seven Irish receivers caught passes. Quarterback Tommy Rees completed 16 of 23 passes for a career-high 346 yards, with three touchdowns and no interceptions.
The Notre Dame offense featured eight plays that covered at least 20 yards, six of which figured prominently in Notre Dame’s four touchdown drives of the game. On those four drives, Notre Dame racked up 324 yards on only 14 plays, an average of 23.1 yards per play. Cumulatively, those possessions rank as the most explosive drives of the Brian Kelly era at Notre Dame.
The yards per play measures on scoring and non-scoring drives in every Notre Dame game played since 2010 are illustrated in the chart above. The victory over Temple marked only the second time in that span that the Irish averaged better than 15 yards per play on scoring drives, and only the eighth time since 2010 that the Irish averaged better than 10 yards per play on scoring drives. The highest single-game marks in this stat in each season since 2010 are indicated on the chart.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @NFLFilms: One of the greatest to ever suit up in silver & black. Happy birthday to @ProFootballHOF receiver @81TimBrown! #TDTimmy @RAID… 11 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏈 We've revamped the concession stands at Notre Dame Stadium. 🔹 New Look 🔹 New Food 🔹 New TV Monitors Here's a sneak p… 12 hours ago
- RT @CoachMikeElston: Defensive Line Pool Party and BBQ!! Unwinding after an intense summer and getting ready for push this fall! GO IRISH… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: The new facility at ND Stadium has 1,650,000 bricks. Laid end-to-end they stretch 200 miles. Long enough to go from ND… 1 day ago
- RT @ChaseClaypool: Jet skiing.. Boating .. Tubing and a feast !! @CoachBrianKelly does it right !! #Team1 ☘️ https://t.co/5NSRDHXUaC 1 day ago
- Swimming & Diving. World Championships Underway For Plaschka
- Fencing. Nelip Snares Silver At FIE Senior World Championships
- Bigger Than Brick. Big Improvements in Game Day Experience
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Recycling Benches
- W. Soccer. Jacobs to Compete with U-23 Women's National Team in Seattle
- Bigger Than Brick. `Going Green' at Notre Dame Stadium
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Comparisons
- Track & Field. Murray Speaks to Write on Sports Campers
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick | Looking Around
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Sends Contingent to NHL Development Camps