Sep 5, 2013, 10:51 AM EDT
In a new partnership between the University of Notre Dame and Upper Deck, we have begun a weekly football series entitled “Trading Card Thursday.” Every Thursday leading up to the Brian Kelly Radio Show at 7 p.m. (ET), we will be presenting a new trading card from the Upper Deck Notre Dame football box set. You watch the Brian Kelly Radio Show live at watchnd.tv.
Golden Tate – 2007-2009 – Wide Receiver
One week down, 11 more to go in our weekly Trading Card Thursday presented by Upper Deck posts, today we will turn our attention to former Notre Dame wide receiver Golden Tate.
For a chance to win an autographed Golden Tate Upper Deck trading card, answer the following question on twitter to @NDSportsBlogger or to email@example.com. The winner will be chosen through a blind draw of correct answers.
In the 2008 contest against Michigan, receiver Golden Tate caught four balls for 127 yards and a touchdown. The big question is, Tate caught a 48-yard touchdown pass in that contest. Before that catch, who was the last player with a 48-yard or longer touchdown catch for the Irish, who threw the pass and what team were the Irish playing? (Three parts)
Tate, the 2009 Biletnikoff Award winner, was a consensus all-american at the wide receiver position in his final year donning the gold helmet at Notre Dame.
Throughout his time playing for the Irish, Tate snagged 157 receptions for over 2,700 yards. In all, Tate accounted for 30 touchdowns in his career.
Tate’s name is peppered through the Notre Dame record book as he is currently second in receptions in a season (93-2009), fourth in career receptions (157), second in receiving yards in a game (244-Oct. 3, 2009 vs. Washington), first in receiving yards in a season (1,496-2009), second in receiving yards in a career (2,707) and first in 100-yard receiving games in a season (9-2009).
In his final season in South Bend, along with winning the Biletnikoff (top wide receiver) and being named an all-american, Tate finished tenth in the Heisman Trophy voting after a 93-catch, 1,496-yard and 15-receiving touchdown season.
Tate was drafted 60th-overall (2nd Round) in the 2010 NFL Draft by the Seattle Seahawks.
So far in his NFL career, Tate has amassed 101 receptions for 1,297 yards and 10 touchdowns.
Brady Quinn Card Winner
Last week’s question, Brady Quinn was the second Notre Dame football player to attempt 300 passes in a single season (353 attempt in 2004), name the first, was answered correctly by just a handful of people via email and twitter. After throwing the 12 names in a hat who had the correct answer (Jarious Jackson), the winner is … Stephen (@NDIrishFan_72)!
Celebrate the tradition of Notre Dame Football with a comprehensive Upper Deck trading card set featuring some of the most notable names in Fighting Irish history!
· Look for autographs from past Irish greats like: Joe Montana, Jerome Bettis, Tim Brown, Joe Theismann, Paul Hornung, Ricky Watters, Lou Holtz, Brady Quinn, and many more!
· Collect the entire 100-card set featuring players and memorable moments in ND history!
· Look for themed inserts like All-Time Alumni, NCAA All-Americans, National Champions and Golden Dome Glory Days.
· Available at the Notre Dame Hammes bookstore, Meijer and upperdeckstore.com.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- From Gold helmets to Gold jackets! Can't wait to see Irish alum & '87 Heisman @81TimBrown on the BIG stage. #4for40 twitter.com/profootballhof… 9 hours ago
- The team got after it today w/ some intense military training in preparation for training camp on Thursday. #WeGriND http://t.co/iiMOCVkImX 10 hours ago
- STRONGER, LIGHTER & VIRTUALLY UNGRABBABLE. The new 2015 #NDFB jersey powered with #ARMOURGRID technology. http://t.co/DcMA5y5WSn 14 hours ago
- Our guys are back on campus getting fitted for helmets and preparing for training camp on Thursday. http://t.co/L7S7GoAYfF 17 hours ago
- RT @NDFBEquipment: New practice jerseys are in vine.co/v/eXDEv23ma0t 2 days ago
- W. Basketball. Loyd Takes WNBAâ€™s Top Rookie Prize in July
- W. Soccer. Irish Among Early Top 10
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club To Host Riehle Open On The Road At Stanford
- W. Lacrosse. Ortega Named All-World; Team USA Claims Silver
- W. Lacrosse. Incoming Freshmen Play for World Championship on Sat.
- W. Swimming. Irish Stars Thrive On International Swimming Stage
- W. Golf. Cool, Confident Hamilton Matures in Wyndham Cup Debut
- W. Volleyball. How To Watch Irish Volleyball Matches In 2015
- W. Soccer. Irish, ACC Release Expanded Broadcast Schedule
- M. Golf. Irish Earn A 2015 GCAA Team Academic Award