Sep 12, 2013, 11:23 AM EST
In a new partnership between the University of Notre Dame and Upper Deck, we have begun a weekly football series entitled “Trading Card Thursday.” Every Thursday leading up to the Brian Kelly Radio Show at 7 p.m. (ET), we will be presenting a new trading card from the Upper Deck Notre Dame football box set. You watch the Brian Kelly Radio Show live at watchnd.tv.
Jimmy Clausen – 2007-2009 – Quarterback
Two weeks down, 10 more to go in our weekly Trading Card Thursday presented by Upper Deck posts, today we will turn our attention to former Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen.
For a chance to win an autographed Jimmy Clausen Upper Deck trading card, answer the following question on twitter to @NDSportsBlogger or to firstname.lastname@example.org. The winner will be chosen through a blind draw of correct answers.
In his career against Purdue, Clausen tallied a 2-1 record and had one of his more memorable moments in an Irish uniform with his 2009 game-winning pass to Kyle Rudolph in the waning moments of the game. As a whole, Clausen sported a 60.9% completion percentage and five touchdown passes in his three outings against the Boilers. The question is, who was on the receiving end of Clausen’s longest touchdown pass against Purdue?
WATCH FINAL DRIVE OF 2009 PURDUE FOOTBALL GAME
Clausen completed 68.0 percent of his passes during his senior year for 3,722 yards with 28 touchdowns and four interceptions. He ranked second nationally in passing efficiency (161.42), second in average passes between interceptions (106.3), third in touchdown to interception ratio (7.0), third in passing yards per game (310.17), third in total passing yards (3,722), tied for third in fewest interceptions (four), sixth in completion percentage (68.0), tied for sixth in touchdown passes (28) and seventh in passing yards per attempt (8.76).
Clausen’s 3,722 yards in his junior campaign rank as the second most in Notre Dame single-season history and his 28 touchdowns are third best. He eclipsed 300 yards passing seven times in 2009 – a single-season school record. Clausen threw a touchdown pass in all 12 games in 2009 and 13 consecutive games when you include the 2008 Hawai’i Bowl. He registered multiple touchdown passes in 10 of Notre Dame’s 12 games in 2009.
Clausen was at his best late in the game and in clutch situations. He led Notre Dame to a school record four fourth-quarter comebacks as a junior. Clausen completed 62.1 percent of his passes (77-of-124) for 1,045 yards and 11 touchdowns while rushing for two other scores in fourth quarters in 2009. When tied or trailing in 2009, Clausen has accounted for 20 touchdowns (18 passing TDs, two rushing TDs) and three turnovers.
Golden Tate Card Winner
Last week’s question, (In the 2008 contest against Michigan, receiver Golden Tate caught four balls for 127 yards and a touchdown. The big question is, Tate caught a 48-yard touchdown pass in that contest. Before that catch, who was the last player with a 48-yard or longer touchdown catch for the Irish, who threw the pass and what team were the Irish playing?), was answered correctly by just a handful of people via email and twitter. After throwing the 12 names in a hat who had the correct answer (Brady Quinn to Jeff Samardzija against Air Force for 51 yards), the winner is … Charlie Algier (@CAlgier15)!
Celebrate the tradition of Notre Dame Football with a comprehensive Upper Deck trading card set featuring some of the most notable names in Fighting Irish history!
· Look for autographs from past Irish greats like: Joe Montana, Jerome Bettis, Tim Brown, Joe Theismann, Paul Hornung, Ricky Watters, Lou Holtz, Brady Quinn, and many more!
· Collect the entire 100-card set featuring players and memorable moments in ND history!
· Look for themed inserts like All-Time Alumni, NCAA All-Americans, National Champions and Golden Dome Glory Days.
· Available at the Notre Dame Hammes bookstore, Meijer and upperdeckstore.com.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- One week until National Signing Day! "I’ve been coming to ND games since I was 7. I’ve always wanted to come here.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- Seven days until Signing Day: The Irish have seven Heisman Trophy winners. #GoIrish ☘ #IrishBouND18 https://t.co/OENHBjDcCg 17 hours ago
- 🙌🏽 @BigQ56 is a unanimous All-American after earning First Team honors on all five NCAA recognized teams.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 20 hours ago
- Last but certainly not least! @mmcglinch68 and @BigQ56 have been named AFCA First Team All-Americans. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/rzFziPGnrG 21 hours ago
- Getting physical in practice 4 😤 #GoIrish ☘ #BeatTigers https://t.co/wV0nwkDKjt 22 hours ago
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Indiana - Five Things To Know
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named 34th Unanimous All-American In School History
- M. Tennis. Irish On Tour: Pro Round-Up
- W. Volleyball. DeJarld Named AVCA Honorable Mention All-American
- W. Soccer. Yu Garners United Soccer Coaches Academic All-Region Honors
- Cheerleading. Notre Dame Leprechaun Tryout Information
- Swimming & Diving. Where The Irish Stand At The Break
- M. Tennis. Kempin, Lebedev Named Irish Men's Tennis Captains
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named First-Team Sporting News All-American
- Fencing. Irish Fencers Excel At December NAC