Sep 18, 2013, 9:24 AM EDT
During the football season, a group of six Notre Dame bloggers join forces to ask one another questions and see who can come up with the best and most clever responses. The group of six includes Her Loyal Sons, Inside the Irish, Subway Domer, UHND, ND Nation and NDSportsBlogger (the guy writing this).
It’s Michigan State week, the only way to begin this week is by saying, “PUCKER PUCKER PUCKER!”…
Here are the links to the other ‘gatherings’ that took place around the interweb:
(Links become live once posted)
For this edition I had the opportunity to ask Ryan Ritter of Her Loyal Sons three questions: And we’re off!
- 1. Everyone rags on Tommy for his play, yet as I see it, he is averaging over 300 yards per game, seven TDs on the season to just two picks and sports a 16-5 overall record as a starter … so why all the hate? And what is your take on Tommy.
Her Loyal Sons: Yes, the Tommy bashing is definitely reaching absurd levels. On Saturday, my Twitter mentions were so full of Tommy hate when the Irish had their initial struggles, I issued a blanket statement that I wasn’t having it. I think Rees has Tony Romo syndrome as far as the fans are concerned. Any mistakes that he makes are greatly magnified and any struggles are placed firmly at his feet because it fits a narrative that people want to buy into. 2011 created “Turnover Tommy” and many people simply can’t let it go and refuse to see the great progress that he has made. Further, Golson has shown more raw talent and athletic ability with his 2012 performance. People hold on to that and are convinced that there just has to be someone better than Tommy because he can’t scramble for 20 yards. Personally, I’m very happy with what Rees has brought to the table. His arm is stronger, he is making better reads, and has even gotten better (and thankfully faster) pre-snap. You can’t ask for much more out of him and thinking that Hendrix or Zaire can do better is a fool’s errand.
- 2. Do wins like last weekend against Purdue, help or hurt the Irish. In my eyes, a win is a win, but is it?
Her Loyal Sons: Let’s put it this way: how much were we all worried about last year’s game against Purdue that required a game winning field goal in November? As far as the Irish are concerned, they got their road win and it’s time to move on, fix mistakes, and focus on Michigan State. I don’t believe it affects the team at all, beyond Kelly having a little bit of extra ammo to use during practices to keep his guys hungry. Now, for the fans (and let’s be honest, bloggers), yeah, it’s going to make us worry and brace for the worst because it’s what we do as Notre Dame fans. But we can’t project that onto the team and assume it to be factual.
- 3. It’s Mike Valenti week! What are your thoughts on the rant?
Her Loyal Sons: Mike Valenti’s rant is one of the greatest things ever and I’m happy we live in an era where it can be archived on the Internet forever. I will never tire of it. I will never stop laughing as his voice dies in anger. My favorite part of the whole thing is how his co-hosts try to calm him down and fails miserably — and it only makes him angrier and angrier.There are so many glorious quotes too that I will never stop referencing: “PUCKER PUCKER PUCKER!!!”, “MAKE PLAYS”, and “H.R. PUFFIN STUFF” among others. Oh and a hurricane Katrina reference? The pinnacle of ridiculous hyperbole.
It’s not even so much of a rant as it is a total meltdown and I will never let a Sparty week pass without listening to it multiple times.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Notre Dame has been named the FWAA National Team of the Week for its 49-14 win over rival USC. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/MzgtWuw5mP 4 hours ago
- RT @dallascowboys: Jaylon!!! #DALvsSF https://t.co/fzAhaP2pFt 8 hours ago
- It's GAMEWEEK! The Irish and the Wolfpack go head-to-head this Saturday at Notre Dame Stadium. #GoIrish ☘… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- Eight weeks into season and this is still accurate. #GoIrish ☘ #MondayMotivation twitter.com/NDFootball/sta… 11 hours ago
- RT @SInow: Welcome to the Heisman race, Josh Adams on.si.com/2hW97kq https://t.co/nEDIrHK7UG 12 hours ago
- M. Golf. Irish Within Striking Distance Heading into Final Round at Quail Valley
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Wrap Nonconference Play At #9 MSU
- W. Volleyball. Yeadon Named ACC Co-Player Of The Week
- W. Basketball. Kayla McBride - Next Inductee into Ring of Honor
- Football. Notre Dame-USC: What the Irish Learned
- W. Rowing. Championship Eight, Four Compete At Head Of The Charles
- W. Volleyball. Irish Stun Miami In Incredible 3-2 Comeback Victory
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In ITA Midwest Regional Quarterfinal
- Football. Replay: Trojans No Match for Physical Irish
- M. Golf. Irish to Compete in Final Fall Tournament