Sep 19, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
In a new partnership between the University of Notre Dame and Upper Deck, we have begun a weekly football series entitled “Trading Card Thursday.” Every Thursday leading up to the Brian Kelly Radio Show at 7 p.m. (ET), we will be presenting a new trading card from the Upper Deck Notre Dame football box set. You watch the Brian Kelly Radio Show live at watchnd.tv.
Brian Kelly – 2010 – Present – Head Coach
Three weeks down, nine more to go in our weekly Trading Card Thursday presented by Upper Deck posts, today we will turn our attention to Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly.
For a chance to win a Brian Kelly Upper Deck trading card, answer the following question on twitter to @NDSportsBlogger or to email@example.com. The winner will be chosen through a blind draw of correct answers.
Since the Irish lost to the Spartans in Brian Kelly’s first year at the helm for the Irish, Notre Dame has reeled off two-straight victories in the rivalry and outscored Michigan State, 51-16. Two-part question: Name the other team that Kelly was 2-1 against in his first three years at Notre Dame and that the Irish outscored by more than 35 points in the 2011 and 2012 meetings combined. Then give me the player that had only one carry in each game, averaging over 10 yards per rush. (HINT: One school and one player is the answer)
Currently the fourth-winningest active coach in the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision, Kelly has guided the Irish to 28 wins over his first three seasons for the Irish, which equals Dan Devine’s school record for victories over the first three years as a Notre Dame head coach.
His 124 victories as a head coach since 2001 are more than all but two active FBS head coaches – Oklahoma’s Bob Stoops and Texas’ Mack Brown.
KELLY’S HEAD COACH RESUME INCLUDES:
• Kelly led Notre Dame Notre Dame to its first undefeated regular season in 24 years (1988), a spot in the BCS title game and highest national ranking (No. 4/3) to close a season since 1993 (No. 2/2).
• The only two-time winner of The Home Depot Coach of the Year Award (2009, 2012).
• Kelly swept just about every possible coach of the year award in 2012. He earned the nod from the Associated Press, Walter Camp Football Foundation, Sporting News, Liberty Mutual and American Football Coaches Association.
• Kelly became only the second Irish coach to win 12 games in a season (Lou Holtz also did it in 1988).
• Kelly guided Notre Dame to a number one ranking among all FBS programs in the most recent NCAA Graduation Success Rate figures released in October – as the Irish became the first team to be ranked number one in the football polls and also first in graduation rates and play for the BCS title.
• Three seasons at Notre Dame where he has fashioned a 28-11 record that has included six losses by a combined 19 points. He has helped the Irish win 20 of their last 24 games dating back to 2011. Kelly and Devine are the only Irish coaches to win eight or more games in each of their first three seasons at Notre Dame.
Jimmy Clausen Card Winner
Last week’s question, (In his career against Purdue, Clausen tallied a 2-1 record and had one of his more memorable moments in an Irish uniform with his 2009 game-winning pass to Kyle Rudolph in the waning moments of the game. As a whole, Clausen sported a 60.9% completion percentage and five touchdown passes in his three outings against the Boilers. The question is, who was on the receiving end of Clausen’s longest touchdown pass against Purdue?), was answered correctly (2008 game, Clausen to David Grimes for 30 yards) by just a handful of people via email and twitter. The winner is … Bob Engebretson. Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to claim your prize.
Celebrate the tradition of Notre Dame Football with a comprehensive Upper Deck trading card set featuring some of the most notable names in Fighting Irish history!
· Look for autographs from past Irish greats like: Joe Montana, Jerome Bettis, Tim Brown, Joe Theismann, Paul Hornung, Ricky Watters, Lou Holtz, Brady Quinn, and many more!
· Collect the entire 100-card set featuring players and memorable moments in ND history!
· Look for themed inserts like All-Time Alumni, NCAA All-Americans, National Champions and Golden Dome Glory Days.
· Available at the Notre Dame Hammes bookstore, Meijer and upperdeckstore.com.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- 54 NFL Reps 57 Media Members 1 University. Our guys worked out in front of crowd at our indoor facility for our Pr… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 12 hours ago
- 24 Reps at 225lbs. 36" Vert. No Linebacker accomplished both those feats at the NFL Combine. James Onwualu did at… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 hours ago
- "He's got a big time arm." -Todd McShay A potential top pick in the NFL Draft, QB DeShone Kizer, showed his skills… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 hours ago
- RT @PlayersTribune: An inside look at how @DKizer_14 prepared for his @NDFootball Pro Day. https://t.co/iMy70hv1YF 21 hours ago
- RT @Uniformswag: #ProDay gear for @NDFootball #uniswag https://t.co/Rv12ajt3TS 21 hours ago
- Baseball. Irish Host Florida State For Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. 200 Free Relay Earn All- American Honors in Second Day of Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
- Softball. Irish Welcome Virginia Tech For Key ACC Series
- Fencing. Irish Surge Into First Place On Day One At NCAA Championship
- Fencing. Notre Dame, Ohio State, Columbia Top Standings After Day 1 of NCAA Championships
- Football. DeShone Kizer: Another Day, Another Impression
- Track. Keys To The Meet: Raleigh Relays
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Lacrosse Spring Break: Adjustments on the Fly
- Softball. Changes To Irish-Virginia Tech Softball Series Announced
- Football. Brandon Wimbush: His Chance Now