Sep 21, 2013, 8:49 PM EDT
The Notre Dame football team moved to 3-1 on the season after a 17-13 victory over the Michigan State Spartans on Saturday, Sept. 21, 2013 at Notre Dame Stadium in Notre Dame, Ind.
After each game this season I have put together a list of three thoughts or takeaways from the game. Today is no different.
1. Cam Coming Through In The Clutch
Junior running back Cam McDaniel iced the victory for the Irish today with his 14-yard rush in the waning moments of the game. Gaining 44 yards on the ground, McDaniel was only able to muster 2.8 yards per rush against the top-ranked Spartans defense. However, McDaniel once again was able to come through in the clutch to secure yet another late Irish victory. With today’s effort McDaniel now leads the Irish in rushing on the season with 173 yards.
2. Tuitt Gets Back On Track
After being shutout in the tackle department for long stretches this season, junior defensive lineman Stephon Tuitt registered six tackles and a sack in today’s game. Tuitt’s tackle in the fourth quarter was his second sack of the season 16th of his career. Tuitt is now only half a sack behind Bertrand Berry who is ninth on the Notre Dame career sack list.
3. Run Defense Stymies Spartans
Coming into the game against the Irish, the Michigan State rushing attack averaged 227.3 yards per game. Today, the Irish held the Spartans to just 119 yards on 35 carries, good for 3.4 yards per rush. The Spartans previous low in rushing for a game this season was 171 yards in a 21-6 victory over USF. Holding the Spartans 108 yards below their season average is a great start for the Irish defense as the Sooners from Oklahoma roll into town next weekend.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- 54 NFL Reps 57 Media Members 1 University. Our guys worked out in front of crowd at our indoor facility for our Pr… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- 24 Reps at 225lbs. 36" Vert. No Linebacker accomplished both those feats at the NFL Combine. James Onwualu did at… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 hours ago
- "He's got a big time arm." -Todd McShay A potential top pick in the NFL Draft, QB DeShone Kizer, showed his skills… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 hours ago
- RT @PlayersTribune: An inside look at how @DKizer_14 prepared for his @NDFootball Pro Day. https://t.co/iMy70hv1YF 21 hours ago
- RT @Uniformswag: #ProDay gear for @NDFootball #uniswag https://t.co/Rv12ajt3TS 22 hours ago
- Baseball. Irish Host Florida State For Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. 200 Free Relay Earn All- American Honors in Second Day of Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
- Softball. Irish Welcome Virginia Tech For Key ACC Series
- Fencing. Irish Surge Into First Place On Day One At NCAA Championship
- Fencing. Notre Dame, Ohio State, Columbia Top Standings After Day 1 of NCAA Championships
- Football. DeShone Kizer: Another Day, Another Impression
- Track. Keys To The Meet: Raleigh Relays
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Lacrosse Spring Break: Adjustments on the Fly
- Softball. Changes To Irish-Virginia Tech Softball Series Announced
- Football. Brandon Wimbush: His Chance Now