Sep 21, 2013, 8:49 PM EDT
The Notre Dame football team moved to 3-1 on the season after a 17-13 victory over the Michigan State Spartans on Saturday, Sept. 21, 2013 at Notre Dame Stadium in Notre Dame, Ind.
After each game this season I have put together a list of three thoughts or takeaways from the game. Today is no different.
1. Cam Coming Through In The Clutch
Junior running back Cam McDaniel iced the victory for the Irish today with his 14-yard rush in the waning moments of the game. Gaining 44 yards on the ground, McDaniel was only able to muster 2.8 yards per rush against the top-ranked Spartans defense. However, McDaniel once again was able to come through in the clutch to secure yet another late Irish victory. With today’s effort McDaniel now leads the Irish in rushing on the season with 173 yards.
2. Tuitt Gets Back On Track
After being shutout in the tackle department for long stretches this season, junior defensive lineman Stephon Tuitt registered six tackles and a sack in today’s game. Tuitt’s tackle in the fourth quarter was his second sack of the season 16th of his career. Tuitt is now only half a sack behind Bertrand Berry who is ninth on the Notre Dame career sack list.
3. Run Defense Stymies Spartans
Coming into the game against the Irish, the Michigan State rushing attack averaged 227.3 yards per game. Today, the Irish held the Spartans to just 119 yards on 35 carries, good for 3.4 yards per rush. The Spartans previous low in rushing for a game this season was 171 yards in a 21-6 victory over USF. Holding the Spartans 108 yards below their season average is a great start for the Irish defense as the Sooners from Oklahoma roll into town next weekend.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Fencing. Three Former Irish Fencers Pick Up Team Medals At Senior World Championships
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Continues Academic Success
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Inside The Stadium
- M. Basketball. Select-A-Seat Returns August 5
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Unveils 2017-18 Schedule
- Softball. Cassidy Whidden (B.A. '15, M.Ed. '17) Returns To Irish Softball Fold
- W. Tennis. Women's Tennis Welcomes Back Dasso ('01) As Assistant Coach
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Fan Experience
- M. Basketball. Men’s Basketball - Summer Headlines
- Swimming & Diving. World Championships Underway For Plaschka