Sep 26, 2013, 11:08 AM EDT
In a new partnership between the University of Notre Dame and Upper Deck, we have begun a weekly football series entitled “Trading Card Thursday.” Every Thursday leading up to the Brian Kelly Radio Show at 7 p.m. (ET), we will be presenting a new trading card from the Upper Deck Notre Dame football box set. You can watch the Brian Kelly Radio Show live at watchnd.tv.
Ralph Guglielmi – 1951 – 1954 – Quarterback
Four weeks down, eight more to go in our weekly Trading Card Thursday presented by Upper Deck posts, today we will turn our attention to former Notre Dame quarterback Ralph Guglielmi.
For a chance to win an autographed Ralph Guglielmi Upper Deck trading card, answer the following question on twitter to @NDSportsBlogger or to email@example.com. The winner will be chosen through a blind draw of correct answers.
Notre Dame head coach Frank Leahy brought the 20th-ranked Iowa Hawkeyes to Notre Dame Stadium on Nov. 21, 1953. Prior to Guglielmi throwing a touchdown pass to Dan Shannon to tie the score just before half, who was the Irish player who was “seemingly” injured immediately before that play to stop the clock?
On Sept. 26, 1953, the Irish traveled to Owen Field to take on the Sooners of Oklahoma. Guglielmi rushed for just three yards on 12 carries and a touchdown but threw for 88 yards and a pair of scores to Joe Heap in helping the Irish defeat the Sooners, 28-21.
Guglielmi was a three-year Irish starter and was unanimous All-America quarterback as senior in 1954. Guglielmi was inducted into the National Football Foundation’s College Football Hall of Fame in December of 2001.
In his time at Notre Dame Guglielmi did everything on the field. He completed 208 of 435 career passes for 3,073 yards and 18 touchdowns while with the Irish, carried 187 times for 200 yards and 12 TDs, kicked five PATs, made 10 interceptions for 98 yards and one TD, recovered two fumbles and returned two kickoffs 15 yards.
For his play in his senior campaign, Guglielmi finished fourth in Heisman Trophy voting in 1954 and was a member of the 1955 College All-Star team, winning MVP honors and played in East-West Shrine game.
Upon leaving Notre Dame, Guglielmi was the number-one draft pick of the Washington Redskins in 1955 NFL draft and then moved on to play with St. Louis in 1961, the New York Giants in 1962 and finally with Philadelphia for one year in 1963.
Brian Kelly Card Winner
Last week’s question, (Since the Irish lost to the Spartans in Brian Kelly’s first year at the helm for the Irish, Notre Dame has reeled off two-straight victories in the rivalry and outscored Michigan State, 51-16. Two-part question: Name the other team that Kelly was 2-1 against in his first three years at Notre Dame and that the Irish outscored by more than 35 points in the 2011 and 2012 meetings combined. Then give me the player that had only one carry in each game, averaging over 10 yards per rush.), was answered correctly (Navy, Robby Toma) by just a handful of people via email and twitter. The winner is … Michael Simmerman. Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to claim your prize.
Celebrate the tradition of Notre Dame Football with a comprehensive Upper Deck trading card set featuring some of the most notable names in Fighting Irish history!
· Look for autographs from past Irish greats like: Joe Montana, Jerome Bettis, Tim Brown, Joe Theismann, Paul Hornung, Ricky Watters, Lou Holtz, Brady Quinn, and many more!
· Collect the entire 100-card set featuring players and memorable moments in ND history!
· Look for themed inserts like All-Time Alumni, NCAA All-Americans, National Champions and Golden Dome Glory Days.
· Available at the Notre Dame Hammes bookstore, Meijer and upperdeckstore.com.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘ When you make it to ND Stadium... You'll find signage of historic @NDFootball program covers in the concourse. #NDBi… 9 hours ago
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: Jumping for joy because it's less than 40 days until kickoff! 👀 @NDFootball https://t.co/wB8HJTP72D 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏈Countdown to Kickoff: 39 Days #39 Braxston Banks played for @NDFootball’s 1988 NCAA title team. He scored the 2nd TD… 1 day ago
- RT @SimonShayne: https://t.co/DgEdxeAE60 1 day ago
- RT @NFLFilms: One of the greatest to ever suit up in silver & black. Happy birthday to @ProFootballHOF receiver @81TimBrown! #TDTimmy @RAID… 3 days ago
- Fencing. Three Former Irish Fencers Pick Up Team Medals At Senior World Championships
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Continues Academic Success
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Inside The Stadium
- M. Basketball. Select-A-Seat Returns August 5
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Unveils 2017-18 Schedule
- Softball. Cassidy Whidden (B.A. '15, M.Ed. '17) Returns To Irish Softball Fold
- W. Tennis. Women's Tennis Welcomes Back Dasso ('01) As Assistant Coach
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Fan Experience
- M. Basketball. Men’s Basketball - Summer Headlines
- Swimming & Diving. World Championships Underway For Plaschka