Sep 29, 2013, 2:05 AM EDT
Craig Chval, the official 2013 football beat writer for the Strong & True blog, is currently a junior at the University of Notre Dame. Over the course of the year Craig will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and previews of each game. You can follow Craig (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBloggers.
So, one of my rules as a blogger is not to be too negative. It’s not an unreasonable demand – I work for the university, I represent the athletic department. I’m not supposed to be David Frost asking the tough questions about fourth-quarter playcalling here. This isn’t First Take, after all.
For those of you who know me, though, you know this can occasionally be difficult. In certain circumstances, I’m not just glass-half-empty, I’m “The glass is half-empty and water is evaporating as we speak.”
And over the last few weeks I’ve struggled with this rule. “Yeah, it was ugly, but we can still figure it out,” sounds really lame right about now, and I’ve already used it about three times.
I’m supposed to present a viewpoint of the student section. And the truth is the students are angry. They’re baffled by the drop off in play caused by the departure of Charlie Weis-recruited players. They’re unhappy when players run directly to the locker room instead of staying for the alma mater (is this the official policy now?).
I know some students who left the game early. For those who didn’t, the general statement was, “I’m staying for the alma mater.” Although it’s not a long tradition, it’s been ingrained in the culture of the current student body as a moment of solidarity. For all of last season, it was a communal celebration of victory. In defeat it’s a system of support for both student-athletes and student-spectators.
If that is no longer the official policy, I’m disappointed. Solidarity isn’t only for victory.
But if that’s true, I also greatly admire Carlo Calabrese for leading his people back to the corner of the student section. Despite a smaller showing, the gesture takes deeper meaning when it becomes a player movement instead of a forced tradition. In a disappointing game and a disappointing moment, it was something I could truly appreciate.
Obviously, you don’t get a perfect regular season every year. Almost every season has games like this, as frustrating as they are. Before I was a student, I would simply cheer for a victory and be upset in defeat. Last year I could gain the macro-level perspective of a team bound for the championship game.
That isn’t this team’s path, and I gain more and more long-term perspective as I get older. It makes defeat that much harder, but it also means I can find solace in things like Carlo’s gesture. I’m transitioning from fan to student and eventually alumnus, from artificial link to eternal bond.
If that sounds weak and cheesy, I’m sorry. I’m still learning about silver linings.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- It's the little things that separate competitors and champions. We will do the little things. #DetailOriented https://t.co/4jkBQJaZtV 2 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 73 Days Flashback to the 1973 Sugar Bowl. When unbeaten @NDFootball downed #1 Alabama for its… 2 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: 🏈BOWLING FOR A CAUSE Great to see @Equanimeous & @mcjavon helping out in community through @UpliftingAth. DONATE:https://… 1 day ago
- 🏈BOWLING FOR A CAUSE Great to see @Equanimeous & @mcjavon helping out in community through @UpliftingAth. DONATE:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- RT @NDFootball: 🏈Those Gold Lids Though ... https://t.co/r1XRxLnyMI 5 days ago
- Fencing. Kiefer Named Nominee For NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Named The ACC Men's Lacrosse Scholar Athlete Of The Year
- General News. Join The Notre Dame Fan Council
- W. Lacrosse. Five Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Softball. Koerner ('15) Turns Page On Legendary Career
- Swimming & Diving. Nineteen Swimmers Head to Nationals
- W. Golf. Albrecht Selected To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- M. Soccer. Besler, Morrow Named To U.S. Gold Cup Roster
- M. Tennis. Irish Pair Earn All-ACC Academic Recognition
- W. Tennis. Broda, Robinson Named To All-ACC Academic Squad