Oct 3, 2013, 11:03 AM EST
In a new partnership between the University of Notre Dame and Upper Deck, we have begun a weekly football series entitled “Trading Card Thursday.” Every Thursday leading up to the Brian Kelly Radio Show at 7 p.m. (ET), we will be presenting a new trading card from the Upper Deck Notre Dame football box set. You can watch the Brian Kelly Radio Show live at watchnd.tv.
Mike Golic – 1981 – 1984 – Defensive Tackle
For a chance to win an autographed Mike Golic Upper Deck trading card, answer the following question on twitter to @NDSportsBlogger or to firstname.lastname@example.org. The winner will be chosen through a blind draw of correct answers.
What sport (other than football), that is no longer a varsity competition at Notre Dame, did Golic participate in during his time with the Irish?
Mike Golic came to Notre Dame in the summer of 1981 from Cleveland, Ohio. While at Notre Dame, the 6’5″, 274-pound Golic played the defensive tackle position for head coach Gerry Faust.
Golic played 115 games in his NFL career with the Houston Oilers, Philadelphia Eagles and Miami Dolphins, totaling 11.5 sacks.
Today, Golic is one of the most well-respected members of talk radio, co-anchoring the four-hour “Mike and Mike” broadcast on ESPN Radio from 6 a.m. (ET) to 10 a.m. (ET) every weekday.
Ralph Guglielmi Card Winner
Last week’s question, Notre Dame head coach Frank Leahy brought the 20th-ranked Iowa Hawkeyes to Notre Dame Stadium on Nov. 21, 1953. Prior to Guglielmi throwing a touchdown pass to Dan Shannon to tie the score just before half, who was the Irish player who was “seemingly” injured immediately before that play to stop the clock?), was answered correctly (Frank Varrichione) by just a handful of people via email and twitter. The winner is … MikeHarvey (@NDHarv85). Send me an email at email@example.com to claim your prize.
Celebrate the tradition of Notre Dame Football with a comprehensive Upper Deck trading card set featuring some of the most notable names in Fighting Irish history!
· Look for autographs from past Irish greats like: Joe Montana, Jerome Bettis, Tim Brown, Joe Theismann, Paul Hornung, Ricky Watters, Lou Holtz, Brady Quinn, and many more!
· Collect the entire 100-card set featuring players and memorable moments in ND history!
· Look for themed inserts like All-Time Alumni, NCAA All-Americans, National Champions and Golden Dome Glory Days.
· Available at the Notre Dame Hammes bookstore, Meijer and upperdeckstore.com.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- We are ND. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/E1Oc0RTGUm 3 hours ago
- Midyear enrollee @OvieOghoufo could eat ribs every single day. Get to know more about the LB ⬇️. #GoIrish ☘… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Happy birthday, @Jahmir_trapical! 🎉 #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/FryfYOFOW7 13 hours ago
- RT @j_owuu: I promise, I have worked my whole life for this. 😪 #TrustTheProcess Sluggards do not plow in season; so at harvest time they… 1 day ago
- Notre Dame Stadium = PERFECTION. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/qAsWAgS2F7 1 day ago
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Soar To 4th-Place ACC Finish
- Softball. #25 Irish Overwhelm St. John's 7-1
- M. Ice Hockey. #3 Irish Fall To Michigan State, 4-3, In Regular Season Finale
- General News. Sunday Brunch: Yeadon Holds Big Dreams for Irish
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep DH With 6-1 Win Over Bowling Green
- Track & Field. Harris Defends Title in Women's Mile to Close Out ACC Championships
- M. Basketball. Farrell's Heroics Give Irish Road Win At Wake Forest
- Baseball. LaManna, No. 30 Irish Walk-Off Against Purdue
- Fencing. #1 Irish Women Dominate ACC Individual Competition
- W. Lacrosse. Irish prepped to take on Elon