Oct 17, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
In a new partnership between the University of Notre Dame and Upper Deck, we have begun a weekly football series entitled “Trading Card Thursday.” Every Thursday leading up to the Brian Kelly Radio Show at 7 p.m. (ET), we will be presenting a new trading card from the Upper Deck Notre Dame football box set. You can watch the Brian Kelly Radio Show live at watchnd.tv.
Ricky Watters – 1987 – 1990 – Running Back
Six weeks down, seven more to go in our weekly Trading Card Thursday presented by Upper Deck posts, today we will turn our attention to former Notre Dame runnning back Ricky Watters.
For a chance to win an autographed Ricky Watters Upper Deck trading card, answer the following question on twitter to @NDSportsBlogger or to firstname.lastname@example.org. The winner will be chosen through a blind draw of correct answers.
In 1989, Ricky Watters ran back a punt return 97 yards for a touchdown against SMU, a school record that still stands. The question is, who is the only Notre Dame player to have multiple 90-yard punt return for touchdowns?
WATCH HIGHLIGHTS OF WATTERS (at 1:20 is punt return vs. SMU)
Watters, a dual-threat player who not only ran from backfield, but also from the flanker position. A member of the 1988 national title team, Watters would go on to have a fantastic professional career with the San Francisco 49ers, helping the team win Super Bowl XXIX.
Additionally, a three-time All-Pro selection, Watters is a member of the 10,000 rushing yards club in the NFL.
Mike Golic Card Winner
Last week’s question, What sport (other than football), that is no longer a varsity competition at Notre Dame, did Golic participate in during his time with the Irish, was answered correctly (Wrestling) by just a handful of people via email and twitter. The winner is … JD Drinen. Send me an email at email@example.com to claim your prize.
Celebrate the tradition of Notre Dame Football with a comprehensive Upper Deck trading card set featuring some of the most notable names in Fighting Irish history!
· Look for autographs from past Irish greats like: Joe Montana, Jerome Bettis, Tim Brown, Joe Theismann, Paul Hornung, Ricky Watters, Lou Holtz, Brady Quinn, and many more!
· Collect the entire 100-card set featuring players and memorable moments in ND history!
· Look for themed inserts like All-Time Alumni, NCAA All-Americans, National Champions and Golden Dome Glory Days.
· Available at the Notre Dame Hammes bookstore, Meijer and upperdeckstore.com.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- 🏆PLAY LIKE A CHAMPION Saturday Notre Dame ranks FIRST in Pro Football Hall of Famers READ: foxsports.com/college-footba… https://t.co/7KxsWcsrNI 4 hours ago
- We are deeply saddened by the passing of 1953 Heisman Trophy Winner Johnny Lattner. Our prayers are with his family. https://t.co/YZr4ZpxsDV 5 hours ago
- Old Habits Die Hard. Always nice having alums back on campus, especially Baltimore Ravens DE Kapron Lewis-Moore. https://t.co/ya1MEtM0y0 1 day ago
- 🎓 4 FOR 40 Friday 2007 Grad CB Ambrose Wooden Finance Major & 3x Letter Winner ☘ NOW: VP at Goldman Sachs (NYC) https://t.co/E3fSydUDrt 1 day ago
- Since his 1st season in 2010, Coach Kelly has had 39 ND players invited to the NFL Combine 📰 und.com/sports/m-footb… https://t.co/zHn9ZnVDKE 1 day ago
- W. Lacrosse. #7 Irish Surge Past #15 Stanford, 13-9
- Football. John Lattner: His Trophy Life
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish Await Sunday Matinee With #19/17 Miami
- M. Ice Hockey. Saturday Brunch: Late Irish Spree Trumps Maine Tradition
- M. Basketball. Jackson Named To Naismith Player of the Year Midseason Finalist
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: Michigan
- W. Lacrosse. 13: Bad Luck to Some, Honored Legacy To Eilers
- Softball. #24/RV Irish Split Ranked Games On Kajikawa Classic Day 1
- Track. Molly Seidel Beats Own Record at Iowa State Invite
- M. Ice Hockey. A Three-Goal Third Period Sees #8 Irish Overcome Maine 4-1