Oct 21, 2013, 12:25 AM EDT
Craig Chval, the official 2013 football beat writer for the Strong & True blog, is currently a junior at the University of Notre Dame. Over the course of the year Craig will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and previews of each game. You can follow Craig (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBloggers.
When I was a kid, I used to have a hand-me-down shirt from my dad detailing a certain portion of the Notre Dame-USC rivalry. It listed every score in the series from 1983 to 1995 – a stretch when the Irish went 12-0-1.
That was always one of my favorite shirts despite not having watched any of those games. Because from when I was 9 to when I was 16, Notre Dame never won a game against the Trojans, losing by an average of 24.5 points. The shirt was a reminder of a bygone era when my favorite team didn’t get obliterated by their greatest rival.
And although the Irish won in 2010 and 2012, I still had yet to witness a victory before this week. My first game came very, very close. I don’t think I ever emotionally recovered from that night. The scoreboard said 0:00 with the Irish up three, and somehow I walked out of Notre Dame Stadium with a loss.
After another close loss in 2009 and the “Crazy Train” game two years later, I still never got my win. I wasn’t asking for a 13-game unbeaten streak and a new T-shirt here. I just wanted a win.
If you read my blogs with any semblance of regularity, you know I’m not one to automatically cheer for an ugly win. And Saturday’s game was about as ugly as they come.
But this week I don’t care. There were parts of the game (defense) to be positive about and others (offense) to be concerned about. I almost always view Notre Dame football with a long-term perspective, but when USC comes to town, it’s just about those three hours.
Because this was my last USC game as a student. You only have the two, and Crazy Train doesn’t populate my favorite memories. When I remember this game, I’ll remember the defense, I’ll remember my last game against the Trojans in the student section. And I’ll remember the final score. When I get a new shirt detailing a new decade of dominance, the only thing from 2013 that will matter will be 14-10.
Up until last year, I always said 2005 USC was the best I ever saw Notre Dame play. It was a sardonic statement about some of the game I’d witnessed but also a testament to how epic that game was.
Saturday was far from the best game I’d seen in Notre Dame Stadium. But I felt a whole lot better walking out of Rock’s House than I did eight years ago. Winning, you know. It’s better than losing.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- This isn't going to be the pinnacle to this season, we're just getting started. #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/2byg5YNlHe 9 hours ago
- Notre Dame has been named the FWAA National Team of the Week for its 49-14 win over rival USC. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/MzgtWuw5mP 15 hours ago
- RT @dallascowboys: Jaylon!!! #DALvsSF https://t.co/fzAhaP2pFt 18 hours ago
- It's GAMEWEEK! The Irish and the Wolfpack go head-to-head this Saturday at Notre Dame Stadium. #GoIrish ☘… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 19 hours ago
- Eight weeks into season and this is still accurate. #GoIrish ☘ #MondayMotivation twitter.com/NDFootball/sta… 22 hours ago
- M. Golf. Irish Within Striking Distance Heading into Final Round at Quail Valley
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Wrap Nonconference Play At #9 MSU
- W. Volleyball. Yeadon Named ACC Co-Player Of The Week
- W. Basketball. Kayla McBride - Next Inductee into Ring of Honor
- Football. Notre Dame-USC: What the Irish Learned
- W. Rowing. Championship Eight, Four Compete At Head Of The Charles
- W. Volleyball. Irish Stun Miami In Incredible 3-2 Comeback Victory
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In ITA Midwest Regional Quarterfinal
- Football. Replay: Trojans No Match for Physical Irish
- M. Golf. Irish to Compete in Final Fall Tournament