Oct 31, 2013, 11:48 AM EDT
In a new partnership between the University of Notre Dame and Upper Deck, we have begun a weekly football series entitled “Trading Card Thursday.” Every Thursday leading up to the Brian Kelly Radio Show at 7 p.m. (ET), we will be presenting a new trading card from the Upper Deck Notre Dame football box set. You can watch the Brian Kelly Radio Show live at watchnd.tv.
Ken MacAfee – 1974 – 1977 – Tight End
Eight weeks down, four more to go in our weekly Trading Card Thursday presented by Upper Deck posts, today we will turn our attention to former Notre Dame tight end Ken MacAfee.
For a chance to win an autographed Ken MacAfee Upper Deck trading card, answer the following question on twitter to @NDSportsBlogger or to email@example.com. The winner will be chosen through a blind draw of correct answers.
What former Notre Dame student-athlete broke MacAfee’s program record for the tight end position in both single-season receptions and receiving yards?
Ken MacAfee was a three-time first-team All-American in 1975-77 and a unanimous pick in ’77 as senior, finishing third in the Heisman Trophy balloting in 1977.
During the 1977 MacAfee copped the Walter Camp Player of the Year Award and caught 54 passes for 797 yards and six touchdowns for the national championship winning squad.
For his career MacAfee caught 128 career passes for1,759 yards and 15 touchdowns and was a participant in both the Hula Bowl before being selected in the first round of the NFL Draft by San Francisco.
Joe Theismann Card Winner
Last week’s question, At the beginning of the 2013 season, Joe Theismann had the eighth-most passing yards in a single season in Notre Dame history with 2,529, yet only four former Irish student-athletes are ahead of him. Name the four. This was answered correctly (Jimmy Clausen, Brady Quinn, Tommy Rees, Jarious Jackson) by just a handful of people via email and twitter. The winner is … Thomas Perry (@TomCPerry). Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to claim your prize.
Celebrate the tradition of Notre Dame Football with a comprehensive Upper Deck trading card set featuring some of the most notable names in Fighting Irish history!
· Look for autographs from past Irish greats like: Joe Montana, Jerome Bettis, Tim Brown, Joe Theismann, Paul Hornung, Ricky Watters, Lou Holtz, Brady Quinn, and many more!
· Collect the entire 100-card set featuring players and memorable moments in ND history!
· Look for themed inserts like All-Time Alumni, NCAA All-Americans, National Champions and Golden Dome Glory Days.
· Available at the Notre Dame Hammes bookstore, Meijer and upperdeckstore.com.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- . @koymonster is the sixth-straight @NDFootball starting tight end and 28th overall to get selected in the NFL Draft #NFLDraft #bertschybits 1 day ago
- With the 229th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select Ben Koyack, TE. http://t.co/5dmik3kVGc 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Now & Soon. Keep tabs on the historic Campus Crossroads Project with construction webcams at Crossroads.ND.edu htt… 3 days ago
- Congrats to Grace & Robinson who brought home awards at last night's Notre Dame Athletics OSCARS awards. #goirish http://t.co/pPOXD969qz 4 days ago
- RT @autrydenson: http://t.co/BBlEq719Co 4 days ago
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse To Face Ohio State in NCAA First Round
- M. Lacrosse. Top-Seeded Notre Dame to Play Host to Towson-High Point Winner In NCAA Men's Lacrosse First Round Saturday at Arlotta Stadium
- Baseball. Tough First Three Innings Lead To 8-4 Notre Dame Loss
- Baseball. Baseball Falls To Northwestern State, 8-2, Saturday
- Football. Ben Koyack Chosen in NFL Draft
- Track. Irish Women Boost Top Marks On Final Day At Jesse Owens Track Classic
- M. Lacrosse. No. 2 Notre Dame Closes Out Regular Season With 17-8 Win At No.18 Army
- Baseball. Irish Shut Down The Demons, 4-1, Friday Night
- Track. Irish Log Top Finishes On Day One Of Jesse Owens Track Classic
- M. Soccer. Irish Extra: Ferguson Not Far Removed from Championship Form