Oct 31, 2013, 11:48 AM EST
In a new partnership between the University of Notre Dame and Upper Deck, we have begun a weekly football series entitled “Trading Card Thursday.” Every Thursday leading up to the Brian Kelly Radio Show at 7 p.m. (ET), we will be presenting a new trading card from the Upper Deck Notre Dame football box set. You can watch the Brian Kelly Radio Show live at watchnd.tv.
Ken MacAfee – 1974 – 1977 – Tight End
Eight weeks down, four more to go in our weekly Trading Card Thursday presented by Upper Deck posts, today we will turn our attention to former Notre Dame tight end Ken MacAfee.
For a chance to win an autographed Ken MacAfee Upper Deck trading card, answer the following question on twitter to @NDSportsBlogger or to firstname.lastname@example.org. The winner will be chosen through a blind draw of correct answers.
What former Notre Dame student-athlete broke MacAfee’s program record for the tight end position in both single-season receptions and receiving yards?
Ken MacAfee was a three-time first-team All-American in 1975-77 and a unanimous pick in ’77 as senior, finishing third in the Heisman Trophy balloting in 1977.
During the 1977 MacAfee copped the Walter Camp Player of the Year Award and caught 54 passes for 797 yards and six touchdowns for the national championship winning squad.
For his career MacAfee caught 128 career passes for1,759 yards and 15 touchdowns and was a participant in both the Hula Bowl before being selected in the first round of the NFL Draft by San Francisco.
Joe Theismann Card Winner
Last week’s question, At the beginning of the 2013 season, Joe Theismann had the eighth-most passing yards in a single season in Notre Dame history with 2,529, yet only four former Irish student-athletes are ahead of him. Name the four. This was answered correctly (Jimmy Clausen, Brady Quinn, Tommy Rees, Jarious Jackson) by just a handful of people via email and twitter. The winner is … Thomas Perry (@TomCPerry). Send me an email at email@example.com to claim your prize.
Celebrate the tradition of Notre Dame Football with a comprehensive Upper Deck trading card set featuring some of the most notable names in Fighting Irish history!
· Look for autographs from past Irish greats like: Joe Montana, Jerome Bettis, Tim Brown, Joe Theismann, Paul Hornung, Ricky Watters, Lou Holtz, Brady Quinn, and many more!
· Collect the entire 100-card set featuring players and memorable moments in ND history!
· Look for themed inserts like All-Time Alumni, NCAA All-Americans, National Champions and Golden Dome Glory Days.
· Available at the Notre Dame Hammes bookstore, Meijer and upperdeckstore.com.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- 🏆PLAY LIKE A CHAMPION Saturday Notre Dame ranks FIRST in Pro Football Hall of Famers READ: foxsports.com/college-footba… https://t.co/7KxsWcsrNI 6 hours ago
- We are deeply saddened by the passing of 1953 Heisman Trophy Winner Johnny Lattner. Our prayers are with his family. https://t.co/YZr4ZpxsDV 7 hours ago
- Old Habits Die Hard. Always nice having alums back on campus, especially Baltimore Ravens DE Kapron Lewis-Moore. https://t.co/ya1MEtM0y0 1 day ago
- 🎓 4 FOR 40 Friday 2007 Grad CB Ambrose Wooden Finance Major & 3x Letter Winner ☘ NOW: VP at Goldman Sachs (NYC) https://t.co/E3fSydUDrt 1 day ago
- Since his 1st season in 2010, Coach Kelly has had 39 ND players invited to the NFL Combine 📰 und.com/sports/m-footb… https://t.co/zHn9ZnVDKE 1 day ago
- W. Lacrosse. #7 Irish Surge Past #15 Stanford, 13-9
- Football. John Lattner: His Trophy Life
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish Await Sunday Matinee With #19/17 Miami
- M. Ice Hockey. Saturday Brunch: Late Irish Spree Trumps Maine Tradition
- M. Basketball. Jackson Named To Naismith Player of the Year Midseason Finalist
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: Michigan
- W. Lacrosse. 13: Bad Luck to Some, Honored Legacy To Eilers
- Softball. #24/RV Irish Split Ranked Games On Kajikawa Classic Day 1
- Track. Molly Seidel Beats Own Record at Iowa State Invite
- M. Ice Hockey. A Three-Goal Third Period Sees #8 Irish Overcome Maine 4-1