Nov 3, 2013, 12:00 AM EDT
After the 38-34 victory for the Irish over Navy on Saturday, the Notre Dame athletics media relations staff put together a bevy of interesting tidbits from the contest.
Here are the 10 tidbits I found most interesting…
1. The Irish hit the seven-win mark for the fourth time in as many years, the first time this has been accomplished since 1998. Additionally, this is the first time since the Dan Devine era that a Notre Dame coach has won seven games in each of his first four years, a feat Brian Kelly accomplished with the victory of Navy.
2. Notre Dame did not attempt a punt against Navy for the fifth time in the last nine meetings between the teams. In fact, the Fighting Irish have only attempted seven punts in their last 616 offensive plays against the Midshipmen.
3. Tommy Rees now has 56 career touchdown passes in his Fighting Irish career, good for third place in ND history behind only Brady Quinn (95) and Jimmy Clausen (60). Rees’ 17-yard touchdown toss to Ben Koyack in the second half was his 22nd touchdown pass of the season, a career-high and the fifth-most in a single season in program history.
4. TJ Jones recorded a catch in his 36th consecutive game for the Fighting Irish. Including today’s effort, Jones has had multiple catches in 32 of those 36 contests.
5. Jones’s 36-yard touchdown catch was the 17th of his career and moved him into solo eighth place in Fighting Irish history, passing Jim Seymour. He has now hauled in at least one touchdown reception in six straight games, dating back to the Michigan State game earlier this season.
6. Romeo Okwara registered his first career half sack during the opening quarter, combining with Carlo Calabrese to drop Navy quarterback Keenan Reynolds for a loss of five yards. Okwara was the fifth different Fighting Irish defender to log at least a half sack this season.
7. Tarean Folston set a career-high with 140 yards rushing on 18 carries. He was the first freshman since Robert Hughes in 2007 (Stanford) to run for at least 100 yards. His one-yard touchdown plunge in the fourth quarter was his first career collegiate touchdown.
8. Notre Dame ran for 264 yards tonight vs Navy and is now 28-2 since 2002 when rushing for at least 200 yards,
9. In last 9 meetings with Navy, Notre Dame has punted only seven times, including zero on Saturday. Saturday’s win was the fifth time in that stretch that the Irish were not forced to punt during the game.
10. Notre Dame and Coach Brian Kelly have won 10 straight games decided by 7 points or less, tying him with Knute Rockne for the second-longest streak in school history.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @NDFootball: Their 4 years at ND are over - but the 40 year decision our guys made is just starting. Congrats to Class of 2017 on Comme… 13 hours ago
- Rally sons of Notre Dame... #4for40 👀@Isaacrochell90 @Lucky9Lefty (📷 @mattcashore) https://t.co/FBOKUGXzDC 19 hours ago
- They played 80 combined games with the Gold helmets on - now James Onwualu & Torii Hunter Jr are Notre Dame Grads!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 21 hours ago
- ☘️Bivin. ☘️McGlinchey. ☘️Bongiovi. ☘️Smythe. All now Notre Dame grads! #4for40 https://t.co/2S9vUtfPia 22 hours ago
- To the Class of 2017 - Thanks for all you gave to this University and we can't wait to see what you do next!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 22 hours ago
- Softball. Cal Steals 5-3 Decision From Irish
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: Denver Roars Past Irish
- Baseball. ACC Baseball Championship Next Stop For Irish
- Softball. Irish Topple ETSU In Extras, 7-6
- General News. Sunday Brunch: Kiefer Best of the Best
- Baseball. Postseason Bound Irish Fall In Finale
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Fall To Denver In NCAA Championship Quarterfinals
- Baseball. Irish Drop A Wild One To Eagles
- Softball. Cal Takes Auburn Regional Opener Over Irish 6-2
- Baseball. BC Uses Late Inning Push To Beat Irish