Nov 7, 2013, 11:50 AM EDT
In a new partnership between the University of Notre Dame and Upper Deck, we have begun a weekly football series entitled “Trading Card Thursday.” Every Thursday leading up to the Brian Kelly Radio Show at 7 p.m. (ET), we will be presenting a new trading card from the Upper Deck Notre Dame football box set. You can watch the Brian Kelly Radio Show live at watchnd.tv.
Bob Golic – 1975 – 1978 – Linebacker
Nine weeks down, three more to go in our weekly Trading Card Thursday presented by Upper Deck posts, today we will turn our attention to former Notre Dame linebacker Bob Golic
For a chance to win an autographed Bob Golic Upper Deck trading card, answer the following question on twitter to @NDSportsBlogger or to email@example.com. The winner will be chosen through a blind draw of correct answers.
What was the name of the show that Bob Golic was cast to play the character Mike Rogers?
Golic was a unanimous All-American as senior captain in 1978 and a member of the 1977 national championship team who made 146 tackles, broke up five passes, blocked one kick, made three interceptions and returned one punt that season. In 1978, he added another 152 tackles.
While at Notre Dame he was one of nation’s top wrestlers with a three-year record of 54-4-1 – finishing third in NCAA meet in 1976 and fourth in 1977.
For his football career he made 479 tackles; broke up eight passes; made six interceptions for 22 return yards; recovered two fumbles; blocked one kick and returned one punt 16 yards.
After his senior season he was a participant in Hula Bowl and Japan Bowl and was named defensive player of game in Hula Bowl.
A second-round selection by New England Patriots in 1979 NFL draft, Golic played in NFL from 1979-92 with New England, Cleveland and Los Angeles Raiders then became an NFL analyst for NBC Sports before his current stop in talk radio in Cleveland, Ohio.
Ken MacAfee Card Winner
Last week’s question was what former Notre Dame student-athlete broke MacAfee’s program record for the tight end position in both single-season receptions and receiving yards. This was answered correctly (Tyler Eifert) by just a handful of people via email and twitter. The winner is … Joe Reimers (@Reimero). Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to claim your prize.
Celebrate the tradition of Notre Dame Football with a comprehensive Upper Deck trading card set featuring some of the most notable names in Fighting Irish history!
· Look for autographs from past Irish greats like: Joe Montana, Jerome Bettis, Tim Brown, Joe Theismann, Paul Hornung, Ricky Watters, Lou Holtz, Brady Quinn, and many more!
· Collect the entire 100-card set featuring players and memorable moments in ND history!
· Look for themed inserts like All-Time Alumni, NCAA All-Americans, National Champions and Golden Dome Glory Days.
· Available at the Notre Dame Hammes bookstore, Meijer and upperdeckstore.com.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- "What do you say men." The reveal. Noon Friday | #GoIrish https://t.co/fojbkBO50Y 6 hours ago
- Putting in the work to be great. #GoIrish https://t.co/j4dOizB6eC 8 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 16 Days Last year, @NDFootball's #16 & @NDBaseball outfielder Torii Hunter Jr. was drafted to t… 9 hours ago
- We're live 🔥. #GoIrish https://t.co/90G8zFGSBV 11 hours ago
- ND ➡️ NFL Look who came out to practice this week. #GoIrish https://t.co/jof5pQnJUs 11 hours ago
- W. Soccer. What to Watch: Butler vs. Notre Dame
- M. Basketball. Irish Legend Tom Hawkins Passes Away
- W. Soccer. Irish Add Casper to Women’s Soccer Staff
- Bigger Than Brick. Premium Seating Added To Football Game Day Experience
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Visitors Tunnel and Locker Room
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Claims ITA National Summer Championship
- W. Basketball. Ogunbowale Brings Home Four Nations Tournament Title
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - The Server Room
- W. Soccer. ACC Network Extra to Broadcast 13 Matches
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - The Flag Pole