Dec 24, 2013, 10:09 AM EDT
The Notre Dame football squad began their trek on Monday afternoon to New York City for the fourth-annual New Era Pinstripe Bowl.
After getting packed up and ready to go at the “Gug,” the Irish then took three buses of players to the South Bend Airport to load up for the two-hour flight to the President John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) in Brooklyn, NY.
The charter plane the Irish took to New York was a B747-400, which has a 376-passenger capacity and travels at a speed of 561 mph. The jet is not accustomed for domestic flights as it is normally used for international excursions.
Loading up! ND to NY! pic.twitter.com/tkTqi4wKoa
— Carlo Calabrese (@Carlo44Cal) December 23, 2013
Aboard the charter plane, the Irish student-athletes, coaches, administrators and support staff were treated to a variety of snacks that included granola bars, cheese, crackers and pretzels.
And some took the liberty to “move about the cabin.”
The plane was loaded and on the ground well beyond the expected 5 p.m. departure time, as we didn’t begin taxi’ing until closer to 6 p.m.
Once in the air, the flight lasted just 90 minutes as the B747 rocketed us to the eastern seaboard.
In addition to a plethora of snacks and drinks, we were also offered a triumvirate of dinner options – including grilled chicken, steak and a vegetarian dish (salad … too healthy). For the record, I chose the grilled chicken which came with corn, mashed potatoes, a small side salad, a dinner roll and cocktail-style shrimp.
After landing at JFK, we boarded our buses for the ten mile trek to our hotel in midtown Manhattan.
The team and staff had a free night in New York City on Monday before getting down to business with practice on Tuesday afternoon at the New York Giants football complex in East Rutherford, N.J.
Keep it here on the Strong & True blog as we bring you continued coverage of #NDinNYC through Dec. 29.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @MikeDenbrock: Proud of all the ND Men that get to live their Football Dreams. It's not easy and it shouldn't be. If you need us we are… 9 hours ago
- WR Chris Brown is headed to the Dallas Cowboys. Hanahan ➡️ Notre Dame ➡️ Dallas #NDinTheNFL https://t.co/ZBAR4M5GBb 9 hours ago
- DB Elijah Shumate has signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. East Orange➡️Notre Dame➡️Tampa #NDinTheNFL https://t.co/FniiDpCtz3 9 hours ago
- WR Amir Carlisle has joined the Arizona Cardinals. Santa Clara➡️Notre Dame➡️Arizona #NDinTheNFL https://t.co/VjGXzjZrrX 10 hours ago
- Matthias Farley has signed with the Arizona Cardinals. Charlotte➡️Notre Dame➡️Arizona #NDinTheNFL https://t.co/DHMTAvfq4v 10 hours ago
- Track. Irish Relays In Fine Form at Drake Relay Meet
- Football. Sheldon Day Drafted on Day Three of 2016 NFL Draft
- Softball. Irish Softball Schedule Against Louisville Altered
- M. Lacrosse. #13 Duke Eliminates #4 Notre Dame in ACC Men's Lacrosse Semifinal
- Baseball. Saturday Baseball Versus Ohio Postponed
- M. Lacrosse. Kavanagh, Landis and Perkovic Headline Tewaaraton Nominees
- Football. Two Fighting Irish Players Off the Board in Third Round of NFL Draft
- W. Lacrosse. #6 Notre Dame Loses To #4 Syracuse in ACC Semifinal
- Football. Two Fighting Irish Players Off the Board in Second Round of NFL Draft
- Baseball. Solomon Strikes Out Ten Batters As The Irish Notch 2-1 Victory Over Ohio