Dec 24, 2013, 10:09 AM EDT
The Notre Dame football squad began their trek on Monday afternoon to New York City for the fourth-annual New Era Pinstripe Bowl.
After getting packed up and ready to go at the “Gug,” the Irish then took three buses of players to the South Bend Airport to load up for the two-hour flight to the President John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) in Brooklyn, NY.
The charter plane the Irish took to New York was a B747-400, which has a 376-passenger capacity and travels at a speed of 561 mph. The jet is not accustomed for domestic flights as it is normally used for international excursions.
Loading up! ND to NY! pic.twitter.com/tkTqi4wKoa
— Carlo Calabrese (@Carlo44Cal) December 23, 2013
Aboard the charter plane, the Irish student-athletes, coaches, administrators and support staff were treated to a variety of snacks that included granola bars, cheese, crackers and pretzels.
And some took the liberty to “move about the cabin.”
The plane was loaded and on the ground well beyond the expected 5 p.m. departure time, as we didn’t begin taxi’ing until closer to 6 p.m.
Once in the air, the flight lasted just 90 minutes as the B747 rocketed us to the eastern seaboard.
In addition to a plethora of snacks and drinks, we were also offered a triumvirate of dinner options – including grilled chicken, steak and a vegetarian dish (salad … too healthy). For the record, I chose the grilled chicken which came with corn, mashed potatoes, a small side salad, a dinner roll and cocktail-style shrimp.
After landing at JFK, we boarded our buses for the ten mile trek to our hotel in midtown Manhattan.
The team and staff had a free night in New York City on Monday before getting down to business with practice on Tuesday afternoon at the New York Giants football complex in East Rutherford, N.J.
Keep it here on the Strong & True blog as we bring you continued coverage of #NDinNYC through Dec. 29.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Strong words of praise for our QB coming from the big man up front! 🙌🏽 #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/xAVEKRisxn 5 hours ago
- Happy birthday, @realaverydavis! #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/l61YgBWkPu 6 hours ago
- "Notre Dame dominated in every facet of the game for four quarters." 👀 at the Irish domination of the Spartans ⬇️!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 17 hours ago
- ✅ Forced fumble ✅ Onside kick recovery ✅ 4 Tackles ✅ GAME BALL! @ShaunCrawf20 is a baller! #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/3yTx5nYu8Z 21 hours ago
- "This is a statement win for us." - Julian Love talks the MSU win with @NDSportsBlogger #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/71qGas2fmV 21 hours ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Eighth In Preseason Polls
- M. Golf. Irish Within Striking Distance at Shoal Creek
- M. Soccer. #7 Irish Set For Tuesday Duel With #2 Indiana
- W. Golf. Irish Close Strong At Schooner Classic To Tie For Sixth
- W. Rowing. #ShamrockSisters Post Strong Starts At World Championships
- Football. Notre Dame-Michigan State: What the Irish Learned
- General News. Notre Dame Athletics and the CFP Foundation Go the Extra Yard for Teachers
- W. Golf. Hamilton Fires Program Record 65
- M. Tennis. Play Concludes At Crimson Tide 4-In-The-Fall
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Falls In Five At NC State