Dec 24, 2013, 10:09 AM EST
The Notre Dame football squad began their trek on Monday afternoon to New York City for the fourth-annual New Era Pinstripe Bowl.
After getting packed up and ready to go at the “Gug,” the Irish then took three buses of players to the South Bend Airport to load up for the two-hour flight to the President John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) in Brooklyn, NY.
The charter plane the Irish took to New York was a B747-400, which has a 376-passenger capacity and travels at a speed of 561 mph. The jet is not accustomed for domestic flights as it is normally used for international excursions.
Loading up! ND to NY! pic.twitter.com/tkTqi4wKoa
— Carlo Calabrese (@Carlo44Cal) December 23, 2013
Aboard the charter plane, the Irish student-athletes, coaches, administrators and support staff were treated to a variety of snacks that included granola bars, cheese, crackers and pretzels.
And some took the liberty to “move about the cabin.”
The plane was loaded and on the ground well beyond the expected 5 p.m. departure time, as we didn’t begin taxi’ing until closer to 6 p.m.
Once in the air, the flight lasted just 90 minutes as the B747 rocketed us to the eastern seaboard.
In addition to a plethora of snacks and drinks, we were also offered a triumvirate of dinner options – including grilled chicken, steak and a vegetarian dish (salad … too healthy). For the record, I chose the grilled chicken which came with corn, mashed potatoes, a small side salad, a dinner roll and cocktail-style shrimp.
After landing at JFK, we boarded our buses for the ten mile trek to our hotel in midtown Manhattan.
The team and staff had a free night in New York City on Monday before getting down to business with practice on Tuesday afternoon at the New York Giants football complex in East Rutherford, N.J.
Keep it here on the Strong & True blog as we bring you continued coverage of #NDinNYC through Dec. 29.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Protecting the rock... In 321 carries, our running back trio - Tarean Folston, Josh Adams, Dexter Williams - lost… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 hours ago
- Leading the way... Sophomore WR Equanimeous St. Brown's 961 receiving yards this season ranks 5th among sophomores… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- RT @NFL: Have a day, @ShowtimeTate! #DETvsNO https://t.co/LSX6skBxyJ 1 day ago
- RT @NFL: Diving TDs, courtesy of @EiferTy85?! YES, PLEASE. #PHIvsCIN snpy.tv/2gDtF1Z 1 day ago
- RT @nflnetwork: - 7 receptions - 136 yards - 1 TD Go ahead and have yourself a day, @ShowtimeTate. #OnePride #DETvsNO https://t.co/nSNcA0t… 1 day ago
- W. Basketball. Top Two Teams to Tangle Wednesday
- Fencing. Kiefer Claims Grand Prix Gold Over Strong Weekend For Irish
- M. Basketball. Fort Wayne Preview - Five Things To Know
- W. Basketball. Jackie Young Named ACC Rookie of the Week
- M. Basketball. Colson Named ACC Player Of The Week
- Softball. Irish Softball Expands Camp Opportunities By Popular Demand
- General News. Fighting Irish Media Adds To Emmy Collection
- M. Basketball. Irish Equal Best Start Under Brey with Victory Over Aggies
- W. Basketball. Irish Offense Explodes In 114-54 Victory Over Crusaders
- Football. Sunday Brunch: Alongside Jim and Dan