Dec 24, 2013, 10:09 AM EDT
The Notre Dame football squad began their trek on Monday afternoon to New York City for the fourth-annual New Era Pinstripe Bowl.
After getting packed up and ready to go at the “Gug,” the Irish then took three buses of players to the South Bend Airport to load up for the two-hour flight to the President John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) in Brooklyn, NY.
The charter plane the Irish took to New York was a B747-400, which has a 376-passenger capacity and travels at a speed of 561 mph. The jet is not accustomed for domestic flights as it is normally used for international excursions.
Loading up! ND to NY! pic.twitter.com/tkTqi4wKoa
— Carlo Calabrese (@Carlo44Cal) December 23, 2013
Aboard the charter plane, the Irish student-athletes, coaches, administrators and support staff were treated to a variety of snacks that included granola bars, cheese, crackers and pretzels.
And some took the liberty to “move about the cabin.”
The plane was loaded and on the ground well beyond the expected 5 p.m. departure time, as we didn’t begin taxi’ing until closer to 6 p.m.
Once in the air, the flight lasted just 90 minutes as the B747 rocketed us to the eastern seaboard.
In addition to a plethora of snacks and drinks, we were also offered a triumvirate of dinner options – including grilled chicken, steak and a vegetarian dish (salad … too healthy). For the record, I chose the grilled chicken which came with corn, mashed potatoes, a small side salad, a dinner roll and cocktail-style shrimp.
After landing at JFK, we boarded our buses for the ten mile trek to our hotel in midtown Manhattan.
The team and staff had a free night in New York City on Monday before getting down to business with practice on Tuesday afternoon at the New York Giants football complex in East Rutherford, N.J.
Keep it here on the Strong & True blog as we bring you continued coverage of #NDinNYC through Dec. 29.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- SBN ✈️✈️✈️EWR Irish touchdown in The Garden State. #BeatCuse https://t.co/dzUjAGfhIY 8 hours ago
- Next stop, New Jersey. #BusinessTrip ☘️ https://t.co/JDyX2xoUSR 11 hours ago
- RT @NDFBEquipment: Getting the locker room ready #GoIrish https://t.co/KnHygunONT 12 hours ago
- RT @NFL: Which school is TE U? 4. @Vol_Football 3. @NDFootball 2-1. 👇 on.nfl.com/psiihv (Via @NFL_CFB) https://t.co/2B6TdiDUJO 12 hours ago
- 24 HOURS. 🔋⬆️‼️ https://t.co/v4GISbvvHn 12 hours ago
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: ITA All-American Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. #9 Irish Open Hockey Season With Exhibition Versus USNTDP
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Men's Lacrosse Hosts Annual Steak & Hot Dog Game on Saturday at Noon
- Football. Notre Dame-Syracuse 2016: Five Things to Watch
- M. Soccer. #1/2 Irish Take On Pitt In Friday Keystone State Clash
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish: Wildcat Invitational
- M. Swimming. Fighting Irish Swimming & Diving Open Up Season With Rare Outdoor Meet at Michigan State
- W. Swimming. Fighting Irish Swimming & Diving Open Up Season With Rare Outdoor Meet at Michigan State
- Fencing. Irish To Host 2017 NCAA Championships
- W. Volleyball. Irish Look to Remain Unbeaten in ACC Play Against Duke and Wake Forest