Dec 24, 2013, 10:09 AM EDT
The Notre Dame football squad began their trek on Monday afternoon to New York City for the fourth-annual New Era Pinstripe Bowl.
After getting packed up and ready to go at the “Gug,” the Irish then took three buses of players to the South Bend Airport to load up for the two-hour flight to the President John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) in Brooklyn, NY.
The charter plane the Irish took to New York was a B747-400, which has a 376-passenger capacity and travels at a speed of 561 mph. The jet is not accustomed for domestic flights as it is normally used for international excursions.
Loading up! ND to NY! pic.twitter.com/tkTqi4wKoa
— Carlo Calabrese (@Carlo44Cal) December 23, 2013
Aboard the charter plane, the Irish student-athletes, coaches, administrators and support staff were treated to a variety of snacks that included granola bars, cheese, crackers and pretzels.
And some took the liberty to “move about the cabin.”
The plane was loaded and on the ground well beyond the expected 5 p.m. departure time, as we didn’t begin taxi’ing until closer to 6 p.m.
Once in the air, the flight lasted just 90 minutes as the B747 rocketed us to the eastern seaboard.
In addition to a plethora of snacks and drinks, we were also offered a triumvirate of dinner options – including grilled chicken, steak and a vegetarian dish (salad … too healthy). For the record, I chose the grilled chicken which came with corn, mashed potatoes, a small side salad, a dinner roll and cocktail-style shrimp.
After landing at JFK, we boarded our buses for the ten mile trek to our hotel in midtown Manhattan.
The team and staff had a free night in New York City on Monday before getting down to business with practice on Tuesday afternoon at the New York Giants football complex in East Rutherford, N.J.
Keep it here on the Strong & True blog as we bring you continued coverage of #NDinNYC through Dec. 29.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Proud of our very own Mike McGlinchey & "first" year monogram jacket inductees. #GoIrish http://t.co/xIbKzzZgxi 12 hours ago
- In Baltimore meeting w/ @UnderArmour to take advantage of the biggest apparel contract in collegiate sports history. http://t.co/C8sN7oXnAX 13 hours ago
- RT @NDFBStrength: Hypertrophy!! #gainz #irishstrong @BigQ56 http://t.co/fNi3SdxG4o 20 hours ago
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: #WeAreND 1 day ago
- ICON goes inside the #BlueVsGold Game to give you a unique behind the scenes look at yesterday's Spring game. watchnd.tv/#!/videos/ljY3… 1 day ago
- Football. Irish Extra: Irish Running Game Displaying Blue-Chip Potential
- Baseball. Irish And Hoosiers Renew Series Tuesday Night At Victory Field In Indianapolis
- M. Lacrosse. Matt Kavanagh Cops ACC Offensive Player of the Week Honors
- Softball. Koerner Slugs Her Way To ACC Player Of The Week Recognition
- M. Tennis. Irish Extra: Irish Men's Doubles Pairing Boasts All-Star Potential
- M. Lacrosse. IRISH EXTRA: Fans Mob Arlotta Stadium Turf After Epic Irish Victory
- M. Ice Hockey. Hockey Hands Out Team Awards
- W. Lacrosse. No. 10 Notre Dame Falls to No. 14 Louisville, 10-8
- Softball. #25 Irish Roll Over Syracuse 12-0 In Five For 23rd Straight Win
- W. Tennis. No. 33 Notre Dame Falls To No. 23 Duke, 4-1