Dec 24, 2013, 10:09 AM EST
The Notre Dame football squad began their trek on Monday afternoon to New York City for the fourth-annual New Era Pinstripe Bowl.
After getting packed up and ready to go at the “Gug,” the Irish then took three buses of players to the South Bend Airport to load up for the two-hour flight to the President John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) in Brooklyn, NY.
The charter plane the Irish took to New York was a B747-400, which has a 376-passenger capacity and travels at a speed of 561 mph. The jet is not accustomed for domestic flights as it is normally used for international excursions.
Loading up! ND to NY! pic.twitter.com/tkTqi4wKoa
— Carlo Calabrese (@Carlo44Cal) December 23, 2013
Aboard the charter plane, the Irish student-athletes, coaches, administrators and support staff were treated to a variety of snacks that included granola bars, cheese, crackers and pretzels.
And some took the liberty to “move about the cabin.”
The plane was loaded and on the ground well beyond the expected 5 p.m. departure time, as we didn’t begin taxi’ing until closer to 6 p.m.
Once in the air, the flight lasted just 90 minutes as the B747 rocketed us to the eastern seaboard.
In addition to a plethora of snacks and drinks, we were also offered a triumvirate of dinner options – including grilled chicken, steak and a vegetarian dish (salad … too healthy). For the record, I chose the grilled chicken which came with corn, mashed potatoes, a small side salad, a dinner roll and cocktail-style shrimp.
After landing at JFK, we boarded our buses for the ten mile trek to our hotel in midtown Manhattan.
The team and staff had a free night in New York City on Monday before getting down to business with practice on Tuesday afternoon at the New York Giants football complex in East Rutherford, N.J.
Keep it here on the Strong & True blog as we bring you continued coverage of #NDinNYC through Dec. 29.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- No. 6 Notre Dame takes on rival No. 9 Stanford tomorrow night at 7:30 PM ET. #AccomplishTheMission https://t.co/fUSOLYWDzf 4 hours ago
- Solid practice for #Team127 in Northern California today in preparation for tomorrow's matchup vs No. 9 Stanford. https://t.co/sCKvBhv4e1 5 hours ago
- Pretty cool to see another special @NDFootball family coming out to see the Irish. @DKizer_14 loves their last name https://t.co/odL3T7F6eR 9 hours ago
- Golden Domers in the Golden State. #NDvsSTAN https://t.co/JcFp7yVMeV 1 day ago
- Heading out to the West Coast a day early to prepare for Stanford. SBN >> SFO #HereComeTheIrish https://t.co/S4NteD8gjc 1 day ago
- M. Ice Hockey. No. 18 Irish Fall To No. 8 Harvard 4-1 In Shillelagh Opener
- M. Basketball. Beachem Scores 16, No. 17 Notre Dame Beats Iowa 68-62
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish Duel With UCLA Saturday In Bahamas
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #3 Notre Dame 94, Denver 52
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish Use Balanced Effort to Rout Denver, 94-52
- W. Volleyball. Irish End Year With Heartbreaking 3-2 Loss At Boston College
- M. Basketball. #17/18 Notre Dame and Iowa Meet in AdvoCare Invitational Consolation Game
- Football. North of Confident, South of Cocky
- M. Basketball. Game Notes
- M. Basketball. Quotes