Dec 24, 2013, 10:09 AM EDT
The Notre Dame football squad began their trek on Monday afternoon to New York City for the fourth-annual New Era Pinstripe Bowl.
After getting packed up and ready to go at the “Gug,” the Irish then took three buses of players to the South Bend Airport to load up for the two-hour flight to the President John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) in Brooklyn, NY.
The charter plane the Irish took to New York was a B747-400, which has a 376-passenger capacity and travels at a speed of 561 mph. The jet is not accustomed for domestic flights as it is normally used for international excursions.
Loading up! ND to NY! pic.twitter.com/tkTqi4wKoa
— Carlo Calabrese (@Carlo44Cal) December 23, 2013
Aboard the charter plane, the Irish student-athletes, coaches, administrators and support staff were treated to a variety of snacks that included granola bars, cheese, crackers and pretzels.
And some took the liberty to “move about the cabin.”
The plane was loaded and on the ground well beyond the expected 5 p.m. departure time, as we didn’t begin taxi’ing until closer to 6 p.m.
Once in the air, the flight lasted just 90 minutes as the B747 rocketed us to the eastern seaboard.
In addition to a plethora of snacks and drinks, we were also offered a triumvirate of dinner options – including grilled chicken, steak and a vegetarian dish (salad … too healthy). For the record, I chose the grilled chicken which came with corn, mashed potatoes, a small side salad, a dinner roll and cocktail-style shrimp.
After landing at JFK, we boarded our buses for the ten mile trek to our hotel in midtown Manhattan.
The team and staff had a free night in New York City on Monday before getting down to business with practice on Tuesday afternoon at the New York Giants football complex in East Rutherford, N.J.
Keep it here on the Strong & True blog as we bring you continued coverage of #NDinNYC through Dec. 29.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @NDPlayerDev: Great job in the community today! #IrishAroundTheBend @joeschmidtiv @MatthiasFarley & Nick Martin with @NDsoftball http:/… 7 hours ago
- The Blue & Gold game will be nationally televised on @NBCSports on April 18th, 2015 at 12:30 PM ET. http://t.co/ijwK2LYvgz 12 hours ago
- We are looking forward watching @ndwbb tonight! #GoIrish http://t.co/iqtLSPlmh5 1 day ago
- We have a message for the @NDmbb #NotDoneYet #GoIrish http://t.co/g0JGPIwKZb 2 days ago
- We miked up @CoachBrianKelly @CoachLyghtND & @CoachSanfordND for an exclusive look at spring practices. watchnd.tv/#!/videos/1wMm… 2 days ago
- W. Basketball. McGraw Appreciates Notre Dame's Run More Than Ever
- Football. Blue-Gold Game Saturday, April 18 At 12:30 P.M. ET On NBCSN
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Irish Women Savor Fifth Straight NCAA Final Four Opportunity
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #2 Notre Dame 77, #5/6 Baylor 69 (NCAA Championship - Oklahoma City Regional Final)
- W. Basketball. Baylor vs. Notre Dame Postgame Quotes
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Headed To Fifth Straight Final Four After Downing #5/6 Baylor, 77-68
- W. Lacrosse. No. 17 Notre Dame Clipped By No. 3 UNC 9-8
- M. Basketball. Commentary: A Shiny Time for Irish Men's Hoops Program
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Finishes Eighth At LSU Tiger Classic
- Baseball. No. 12 Cavaliers Complete Sweep Of Irish Sunday Afternoon