Dec 30, 2013, 1:22 PM EST
“Beyond The Box Score With Brian Fremeau” is a series that takes you inside the stats with in-depth analysis through numbers and graphics. Fremeau, a 1999 graduate of Notre Dame, is a longtime writer for ESPN Insider, Football Outsiders and his personal stats, graphics, and analysis website, BCFToys.com.
Last week, the Notre Dame athletic department and director of athletics Jack Swarbrick announced the Irish football schedule for the next three seasons. Swarbrick discussed the long-awaited release in an interview with Fighting Irish Digital Media, outlining the philosophical approach to filling out these and future schedules with traditional rivals and new opponents the Irish haven’t regularly faced off against. A new playoff format will be introduced next season in college football, and the selection committee is expected to reward teams with strong schedules. The Irish have always played a challenging slate, and the 2014-2016 schedules may raise that bar.
Notre Dame has a 35-13 regular season record under Kelly, the 15th-best winning percentage against FBS opponents in the nation in that span. Those 15 teams are included in the chart above and the table below. Since 2010, no top team has more consistently played games against above-average opponents than the Irish.
|Team||FBS Regular Season Winning Percentage||Pct of FBS Games vs Opponents with
7+ FBS Wins
|Pct of FBS Wins vs Opponents with
7+ FBS Wins
|Alabama Crimson Tide||.864||.364||.263|
|Northern Illinois Huskies||.864||.182||.184|
|Ohio State Buckeyes||.851||.383||.325|
|Boise State Broncos||.830||.383||.282|
|Florida State Seminoles||.795||.227||.114|
|South Carolina Gamecocks||.795||.432||.371|
|Oklahoma State Cowboys||.783||.435||.389|
|Michigan State Spartans||.778||.378||.257|
|Notre Dame Fighting Irish||.729||.479||.371|
Notre Dame is the only team on this list that has not played an FCS opponent in the last four seasons. Against opponents that have won at least seven FBS games, Notre Dame has played more games (23) than any other team ranked among the top-30 in winning percentage. Notre Dame is tied with Stanford and Ohio State with the most wins (10) in the last two seasons against opponents with seven or more FBS victories.
The gauntlet may be even more challenging next fall. Seven of Notre Dame’s opponents next season won at least seven games against FBS opponents in 2013. Six of them won at least nine FBS regular season games this year.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Fast on the field. Fast on the track. Hear from DB Troy Pride Jr. prior to his first ACC Track Championship. https://t.co/ofJRjrdtKt 2 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: What were you doing this morning? #tictoc https://t.co/yohZyRmdsg 11 hours ago
- Puttin' in work. https://t.co/qnjmLmfhe9 22 hours ago
- We are excited to see DeShone take part in Jon Gruden's QB Camp on ESPN prior to the NFL Draft in April.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- RT @NDFootball: Hey @DallasCowboys - you're getting a monster. @CoachBrianKelly agrees. #ClearEyeView 👀@TheJaylonSmith https://t.co/Hq6l… 1 day ago
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Open Home Schedule Against Michigan on Sunday
- General News. Historic Irish Track & Field Weekend
- W. Lacrosse. March 4 Matchup Versus Louisville Moved to 3 p.m.
- M. Basketball. Georgia Tech Preview - Five Things To Know
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish: Michigan State & Bowling Green
- Swimming & Diving. Irish Head To Atlanta For 2017 ACC Men's Swimming Championships
- Fencing. Keys To The Meet: ACC Championships
- Baseball. Anteaters Take Tony Gwynn Opener From Irish
- Softball. Irish Complete Day One Of The Mary Nutter Classic
- W. Lacrosse. Casey Pearsall, Irish End Elon's Unbeaten Streak