Dec 30, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
“Beyond The Box Score With Brian Fremeau” is a series that takes you inside the stats with in-depth analysis through numbers and graphics. Fremeau, a 1999 graduate of Notre Dame, is a longtime writer for ESPN Insider, Football Outsiders and his personal stats, graphics, and analysis website, BCFToys.com.
Last week, the Notre Dame athletic department and director of athletics Jack Swarbrick announced the Irish football schedule for the next three seasons. Swarbrick discussed the long-awaited release in an interview with Fighting Irish Digital Media, outlining the philosophical approach to filling out these and future schedules with traditional rivals and new opponents the Irish haven’t regularly faced off against. A new playoff format will be introduced next season in college football, and the selection committee is expected to reward teams with strong schedules. The Irish have always played a challenging slate, and the 2014-2016 schedules may raise that bar.
Notre Dame has a 35-13 regular season record under Kelly, the 15th-best winning percentage against FBS opponents in the nation in that span. Those 15 teams are included in the chart above and the table below. Since 2010, no top team has more consistently played games against above-average opponents than the Irish.
|Team||FBS Regular Season Winning Percentage||Pct of FBS Games vs Opponents with
7+ FBS Wins
|Pct of FBS Wins vs Opponents with
7+ FBS Wins
|Alabama Crimson Tide||.864||.364||.263|
|Northern Illinois Huskies||.864||.182||.184|
|Ohio State Buckeyes||.851||.383||.325|
|Boise State Broncos||.830||.383||.282|
|Florida State Seminoles||.795||.227||.114|
|South Carolina Gamecocks||.795||.432||.371|
|Oklahoma State Cowboys||.783||.435||.389|
|Michigan State Spartans||.778||.378||.257|
|Notre Dame Fighting Irish||.729||.479||.371|
Notre Dame is the only team on this list that has not played an FCS opponent in the last four seasons. Against opponents that have won at least seven FBS games, Notre Dame has played more games (23) than any other team ranked among the top-30 in winning percentage. Notre Dame is tied with Stanford and Ohio State with the most wins (10) in the last two seasons against opponents with seven or more FBS victories.
The gauntlet may be even more challenging next fall. Seven of Notre Dame’s opponents next season won at least seven games against FBS opponents in 2013. Six of them won at least nine FBS regular season games this year.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- 66 DAYS We've had 66 players selected in the first-round of the NFL draft (3rd most in CFB). #CountdownToPrimetime https://t.co/OSWdy4anFl 14 hours ago
- 249 straight sell outs...and counting. Single-game tix for 2016 go on sale July 21. INFO: und.com/sports/m-footb… https://t.co/sC1UyLkfta 18 hours ago
- RT @FinkeMasterFlex: Most collegiate athletes go pro in something other than sports @NDotCole_24 https://t.co/uLxfwAifCc 1 day ago
- ICYMI, the OL/DL whiffle ball game ends w/ an OL win for the 4th year in a row. Via @HunterBivin Cc @Who_GotJones94 https://t.co/N4Y1MjKMRP 1 day ago
- RT @HunterBivin: ND Offensive Line remains OL/DL whiffle ball game champs. 4th straight year. Walk off base hit by @smustipher53 https://t.… 2 days ago
- Track. Seidel Tabbed 2015-16 Mary Garber Award Recipient
- Cross Country. Seidel Tabbed 2015-16 Mary Garber Award Recipient
- M. Ice Hockey. Eight Irish Earn Hockey East All-Academic Honors
- Track. Eight Track Athletes With ND Ties On To Olympic Trials
- W. Lacrosse. June Updates: Honors Abound
- Fencing. Current, Former Irish Dominate In Final Pre-Olympics Competition
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available July 21
- General News. Awards Aplenty For Fighting Irish Media
- Cross Country. Seidel Named To First Team CoSIDA Academic All-America? Squad
- Track. Seidel Named To First Team CoSIDA Academic All-America? Squad