Mar 20, 2014, 8:58 PM EDT
On Thursday morning a plethora of NFL scouts, video crews and media members convened inside the “Gug” to witness Notre Dame Football’s 2014 Pro Day.
During Pro Day, former Irish student-athletes go through a variety of activities that range from “measurables” (height, weight, wingspan, etc…) to on-field (3-cone drill, 40-yard dash, 60-yard shuttle, etc…).
I had the opportunity to have inside-access to Pro Day, which allowed me to see the players go through their entire workouts, beginning at 10:30 A.M. (ET). Many players stood out to me and had great workouts, but I want to focus on former Irish signal caller Tommy Rees.
While I was watching Rees go through his passing tree, I struck up a conversation with an unnamed NFL scout about his thoughts on one of the more accurate Irish quarterbacks in program history.
(The quotes below are from notes I took during the conversation and after Rees’ performance was complete)
“Rees helped himself today with his performance in the workouts,” the unnamed scout said. He went on to say that he “expects Rees to find a home for camp.”
Connecting on 32 of 34 passes during the quarterback portion of Pro Day, Rees showed off his ability to throw the deep ball.
“I’m pleasantly surprised to see his (Rees) arm strength throwing towards the boundaries,” the same scout went on to talk about how many people don’t recognize that Rees’s release on his deep routes is quick and efficient and his release is relatively similar no matter what pattern he is throwing.
Now let’s take a look at Rees’s numbers on the day:
Weight: 210 lbs.
Arm Length: 31 1/8″
Hand: 9 1/8″
Vertical Leap: 31″
Broad Jump: 8’9″
40-Yard Dash: 5.09 seconds
20-Yard Shuttle Run: 4.54 seconds
3-Cone Drill (L-Cone): 7.32 seconds
For more information on Thursday’s Pro Day, including numbers and notes from all Irish players who participated, click here.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- STRONGER, LIGHTER & VIRTUALLY UNGRABBABLE. The new 2015 #NDFB jersey powered with #ARMOURGRID technology. http://t.co/DcMA5y5WSn 2 hours ago
- Our guys are back on campus getting fitted for helmets and preparing for training camp on Thursday. http://t.co/L7S7GoAYfF 5 hours ago
- RT @NDFBEquipment: New practice jerseys are in vine.co/v/eXDEv23ma0t 1 day ago
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: My staff unanimously decided to add a game to the players' lounge this year. It's called Irish Jenga. http://t.co/ctv… 3 days ago
- Follow @NDFBStrength for exclusive training camp pictures directly from the #NDFB Strength & Conditioning staff. http://t.co/AETDlGljqG 4 days ago
- W. Lacrosse. Ortega Named All-World; Team USA Claims Silver
- W. Lacrosse. Incoming Freshmen Play for World Championship on Sat.
- W. Swimming. Irish Stars Thrive On International Swimming Stage
- W. Golf. Cool, Confident Hamilton Matures in Wyndham Cup Debut
- W. Volleyball. How To Watch Irish Volleyball Matches In 2015
- W. Soccer. Irish, ACC Release Expanded Broadcast Schedule
- M. Golf. Irish Earn A 2015 GCAA Team Academic Award
- Monogram Club. First Person: Danielle Green's ESPY Moment
- W. Basketball. First Person: Danielle Greenâ€™s ESPY Moment
- M. Soccer. Abundance Of Soccer On Air