Mar 20, 2014, 8:58 PM EST
On Thursday morning a plethora of NFL scouts, video crews and media members convened inside the “Gug” to witness Notre Dame Football’s 2014 Pro Day.
During Pro Day, former Irish student-athletes go through a variety of activities that range from “measurables” (height, weight, wingspan, etc…) to on-field (3-cone drill, 40-yard dash, 60-yard shuttle, etc…).
I had the opportunity to have inside-access to Pro Day, which allowed me to see the players go through their entire workouts, beginning at 10:30 A.M. (ET). Many players stood out to me and had great workouts, but I want to focus on former Irish signal caller Tommy Rees.
While I was watching Rees go through his passing tree, I struck up a conversation with an unnamed NFL scout about his thoughts on one of the more accurate Irish quarterbacks in program history.
(The quotes below are from notes I took during the conversation and after Rees’ performance was complete)
“Rees helped himself today with his performance in the workouts,” the unnamed scout said. He went on to say that he “expects Rees to find a home for camp.”
Connecting on 32 of 34 passes during the quarterback portion of Pro Day, Rees showed off his ability to throw the deep ball.
“I’m pleasantly surprised to see his (Rees) arm strength throwing towards the boundaries,” the same scout went on to talk about how many people don’t recognize that Rees’s release on his deep routes is quick and efficient and his release is relatively similar no matter what pattern he is throwing.
Now let’s take a look at Rees’s numbers on the day:
Weight: 210 lbs.
Arm Length: 31 1/8″
Hand: 9 1/8″
Vertical Leap: 31″
Broad Jump: 8’9″
40-Yard Dash: 5.09 seconds
20-Yard Shuttle Run: 4.54 seconds
3-Cone Drill (L-Cone): 7.32 seconds
For more information on Thursday’s Pro Day, including numbers and notes from all Irish players who participated, click here.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Fast on the field. Fast on the track. Hear from DB Troy Pride Jr. prior to his first ACC Track Championship. https://t.co/ofJRjrdtKt 6 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: What were you doing this morning? #tictoc https://t.co/yohZyRmdsg 16 hours ago
- Puttin' in work. https://t.co/qnjmLmfhe9 1 day ago
- We are excited to see DeShone take part in Jon Gruden's QB Camp on ESPN prior to the NFL Draft in April.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- RT @NDFootball: Hey @DallasCowboys - you're getting a monster. @CoachBrianKelly agrees. #ClearEyeView 👀@TheJaylonSmith https://t.co/Hq6l… 1 day ago
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Open Home Schedule Against Michigan on Sunday
- General News. Historic Irish Track & Field Weekend
- W. Lacrosse. March 4 Matchup Versus Louisville Moved to 3 p.m.
- M. Basketball. Georgia Tech Preview - Five Things To Know
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish: Michigan State & Bowling Green
- Swimming & Diving. Irish Head To Atlanta For 2017 ACC Men's Swimming Championships
- Fencing. Keys To The Meet: ACC Championships
- Baseball. Anteaters Take Tony Gwynn Opener From Irish
- Softball. Irish Complete Day One Of The Mary Nutter Classic
- W. Lacrosse. Casey Pearsall, Irish End Elon's Unbeaten Streak