Mar 20, 2014, 8:58 PM EST
On Thursday morning a plethora of NFL scouts, video crews and media members convened inside the “Gug” to witness Notre Dame Football’s 2014 Pro Day.
During Pro Day, former Irish student-athletes go through a variety of activities that range from “measurables” (height, weight, wingspan, etc…) to on-field (3-cone drill, 40-yard dash, 60-yard shuttle, etc…).
I had the opportunity to have inside-access to Pro Day, which allowed me to see the players go through their entire workouts, beginning at 10:30 A.M. (ET). Many players stood out to me and had great workouts, but I want to focus on former Irish signal caller Tommy Rees.
While I was watching Rees go through his passing tree, I struck up a conversation with an unnamed NFL scout about his thoughts on one of the more accurate Irish quarterbacks in program history.
(The quotes below are from notes I took during the conversation and after Rees’ performance was complete)
“Rees helped himself today with his performance in the workouts,” the unnamed scout said. He went on to say that he “expects Rees to find a home for camp.”
Connecting on 32 of 34 passes during the quarterback portion of Pro Day, Rees showed off his ability to throw the deep ball.
“I’m pleasantly surprised to see his (Rees) arm strength throwing towards the boundaries,” the same scout went on to talk about how many people don’t recognize that Rees’s release on his deep routes is quick and efficient and his release is relatively similar no matter what pattern he is throwing.
Now let’s take a look at Rees’s numbers on the day:
Weight: 210 lbs.
Arm Length: 31 1/8″
Hand: 9 1/8″
Vertical Leap: 31″
Broad Jump: 8’9″
40-Yard Dash: 5.09 seconds
20-Yard Shuttle Run: 4.54 seconds
3-Cone Drill (L-Cone): 7.32 seconds
For more information on Thursday’s Pro Day, including numbers and notes from all Irish players who participated, click here.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- It's more than a game for Wuerffel Trophy finalist @DTranquill. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/N5IBzF6BLI 2 hours ago
- RT @ndfb101: For Black Friday this year, treat yourself or the ladies in your life to an evening with @NDFootball! Discounted registration… 3 hours ago
- Grit Wednesday is off to a 🔥 start! #GoIrish ☘ #BeatCardinal https://t.co/EyAiSFjPql 4 hours ago
- Locked 🔒 in on one thing. #GoIrish ☘ #BeatCardinal https://t.co/J3Mtep4p7z 20 hours ago
- The Irish come in at No. 8 in this week's #CFBPlayoff ranking. #GoIrish ☘ #BeatCardinal https://t.co/eSOWhwhjTM 21 hours ago
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Wichita State - Five Things To Know
- M. Basketball. Championship Bound: Irish Dominate LSU 92-53 In Maui Invitational Semifinal
- Baseball. Baseball Unveils 2018 Campaign
- W. Volleyball. Irish Ride Five Match Win Streak Into Final Week Of Regular Season
- M. Ice Hockey. Morris Named Big Ten’s First Star For Second Consecutive Week
- Football. Ninth-Ranked Irish Look To Harvest 10th Win
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. LSU - Five Things To Know
- M. Basketball. Farrell Turns In Career Performance In 83-56 Rout Of Chaminade
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named Outland Trophy Finalist
- Football. Notre Dame-Navy: What the Irish Learned