Mar 20, 2014, 8:58 PM EDT
On Thursday morning a plethora of NFL scouts, video crews and media members convened inside the “Gug” to witness Notre Dame Football’s 2014 Pro Day.
During Pro Day, former Irish student-athletes go through a variety of activities that range from “measurables” (height, weight, wingspan, etc…) to on-field (3-cone drill, 40-yard dash, 60-yard shuttle, etc…).
I had the opportunity to have inside-access to Pro Day, which allowed me to see the players go through their entire workouts, beginning at 10:30 A.M. (ET). Many players stood out to me and had great workouts, but I want to focus on former Irish signal caller Tommy Rees.
While I was watching Rees go through his passing tree, I struck up a conversation with an unnamed NFL scout about his thoughts on one of the more accurate Irish quarterbacks in program history.
(The quotes below are from notes I took during the conversation and after Rees’ performance was complete)
“Rees helped himself today with his performance in the workouts,” the unnamed scout said. He went on to say that he “expects Rees to find a home for camp.”
Connecting on 32 of 34 passes during the quarterback portion of Pro Day, Rees showed off his ability to throw the deep ball.
“I’m pleasantly surprised to see his (Rees) arm strength throwing towards the boundaries,” the same scout went on to talk about how many people don’t recognize that Rees’s release on his deep routes is quick and efficient and his release is relatively similar no matter what pattern he is throwing.
Now let’s take a look at Rees’s numbers on the day:
Weight: 210 lbs.
Arm Length: 31 1/8″
Hand: 9 1/8″
Vertical Leap: 31″
Broad Jump: 8’9″
40-Yard Dash: 5.09 seconds
20-Yard Shuttle Run: 4.54 seconds
3-Cone Drill (L-Cone): 7.32 seconds
For more information on Thursday’s Pro Day, including numbers and notes from all Irish players who participated, click here.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Not in our house. #GoIrish ☘ #TBT https://t.co/7TLbmhkjxC 2 hours ago
- Only 4️⃣4️⃣ more days until @JJammer44 takes the field. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/C6AGZqIiMe 3 hours ago
- RT @LoganPlantz: Please help me and the rest of @NDFootball raise awareness about our #LifeForLife event July 20th. The team’s desire to ut… 5 hours ago
- RT @ndwbb: "Come see us on the court." @arike_o is a force to be reckoned with. And now, she's an #ESPY award winner. We couldn't be prou… 5 hours ago
- The Irish are proud to dedicate their performance of Lift For Life to inspire the Rare Disease Community with hope… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 19 hours ago
- W. Rowing. O'Tighearnaigh Named Honorable Mention All-American
- Football. Irish Trio Named To Bednarik,Maxwell Watch Lists
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps
- Swimming & Diving. Litzinger To Coach In Inaugural ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- W. Soccer. Flores Signs Two-Year Deal with Valencia CF
- Fencing. Kvaratskhelia Named USFCA Coach of the Year
- M. Soccer. Irish Men's Soccer Holding School Supply Drive
- Track & Field. Sunday Brunch: Hoosier Hoops Helped Prepare Sparks for Head Coaching Role
- Track & Field. Sparks Promoted to Irish Head Track and Field and Cross Country Coach