Mar 20, 2014, 8:58 PM EDT
On Thursday morning a plethora of NFL scouts, video crews and media members convened inside the “Gug” to witness Notre Dame Football’s 2014 Pro Day.
During Pro Day, former Irish student-athletes go through a variety of activities that range from “measurables” (height, weight, wingspan, etc…) to on-field (3-cone drill, 40-yard dash, 60-yard shuttle, etc…).
I had the opportunity to have inside-access to Pro Day, which allowed me to see the players go through their entire workouts, beginning at 10:30 A.M. (ET). Many players stood out to me and had great workouts, but I want to focus on former Irish signal caller Tommy Rees.
While I was watching Rees go through his passing tree, I struck up a conversation with an unnamed NFL scout about his thoughts on one of the more accurate Irish quarterbacks in program history.
(The quotes below are from notes I took during the conversation and after Rees’ performance was complete)
“Rees helped himself today with his performance in the workouts,” the unnamed scout said. He went on to say that he “expects Rees to find a home for camp.”
Connecting on 32 of 34 passes during the quarterback portion of Pro Day, Rees showed off his ability to throw the deep ball.
“I’m pleasantly surprised to see his (Rees) arm strength throwing towards the boundaries,” the same scout went on to talk about how many people don’t recognize that Rees’s release on his deep routes is quick and efficient and his release is relatively similar no matter what pattern he is throwing.
Now let’s take a look at Rees’s numbers on the day:
Weight: 210 lbs.
Arm Length: 31 1/8″
Hand: 9 1/8″
Vertical Leap: 31″
Broad Jump: 8’9″
40-Yard Dash: 5.09 seconds
20-Yard Shuttle Run: 4.54 seconds
3-Cone Drill (L-Cone): 7.32 seconds
For more information on Thursday’s Pro Day, including numbers and notes from all Irish players who participated, click here.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @NDFBEquipment: Staff and player travel shoes are issued and on the shelves ready to go to Texas #GoIrish https://t.co/z1XR6txcVJ 10 hours ago
- RT @B_Jax2: 😏🔥 https://t.co/llVMi8u3e7 10 hours ago
- Looking for football season like... https://t.co/jUP978X6tN 19 hours ago
- RT @SportsCenter: The new Notre Dame shamrock unis. Thoughts? (via @NDFootball) https://t.co/dYVrTDnz8k 2 days ago
- RT @UAFootball: Introducing the 2016 @NDFootball Shamrock Series uniform. #ProtectThisHouse https://t.co/E73u5uY0z3 3 days ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Schedule Announced
- M. Ice Hockey. Palmieri Named To Team USA’s World Cup of Hockey Roster
- M. Basketball. Irish Hoops Open Practice Recap
- M. Basketball. Grant, Cooley NBA Summer League Champions
- Fencing. Five More Newcomers To Join Irish This Fall
- M. Lacrosse. Two Irish Representatives Help U.S. Win World U19 Men’s Lacrosse Crown
- M. Basketball. Irish Events Rank Among Most-Watched So Far in 2016
- M. Lacrosse. Rodgers Named MLL All-Star Game MVP
- Softball. Irish In The NPF: League Foes Are Still Irish At Heart
- Fencing. U.S. Women's Foil Coach To Join Fencing Staff