Mar 20, 2014, 8:58 PM EDT
On Thursday morning a plethora of NFL scouts, video crews and media members convened inside the “Gug” to witness Notre Dame Football’s 2014 Pro Day.
During Pro Day, former Irish student-athletes go through a variety of activities that range from “measurables” (height, weight, wingspan, etc…) to on-field (3-cone drill, 40-yard dash, 60-yard shuttle, etc…).
I had the opportunity to have inside-access to Pro Day, which allowed me to see the players go through their entire workouts, beginning at 10:30 A.M. (ET). Many players stood out to me and had great workouts, but I want to focus on former Irish signal caller Tommy Rees.
While I was watching Rees go through his passing tree, I struck up a conversation with an unnamed NFL scout about his thoughts on one of the more accurate Irish quarterbacks in program history.
(The quotes below are from notes I took during the conversation and after Rees’ performance was complete)
“Rees helped himself today with his performance in the workouts,” the unnamed scout said. He went on to say that he “expects Rees to find a home for camp.”
Connecting on 32 of 34 passes during the quarterback portion of Pro Day, Rees showed off his ability to throw the deep ball.
“I’m pleasantly surprised to see his (Rees) arm strength throwing towards the boundaries,” the same scout went on to talk about how many people don’t recognize that Rees’s release on his deep routes is quick and efficient and his release is relatively similar no matter what pattern he is throwing.
Now let’s take a look at Rees’s numbers on the day:
Weight: 210 lbs.
Arm Length: 31 1/8″
Hand: 9 1/8″
Vertical Leap: 31″
Broad Jump: 8’9″
40-Yard Dash: 5.09 seconds
20-Yard Shuttle Run: 4.54 seconds
3-Cone Drill (L-Cone): 7.32 seconds
For more information on Thursday’s Pro Day, including numbers and notes from all Irish players who participated, click here.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Goodnight everyone. Let's do it all over again tomorrow. #NFLDraft https://t.co/RSaPgI2DQU 6 hours ago
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: The Texans got a ridiculous talent in Will Fuller! Going to miss having this guy in our arsenal. #NDinTheNFL https:/… 7 hours ago
- RT @MikeDenbrock: Houston you have no problem. Trade up and get the best Playmaker in the Draft. #NDinTheNFL #GoIrish #Philly https://t.c… 7 hours ago
- ROUND 1. PICK 21. Will Fuller | WR Philly ➡️ Notre Dame ➡ Houston #NFLDraft #NDinTheNFL https://t.co/fB1GjPzDPu 7 hours ago
- WILL FULLER WR | Philadelphia, PA The League is waiting. #NFLDraft #NDinTheNFL ☘ https://t.co/lkqsWF4B7R 8 hours ago
- Football. Ronnie Stanley Selected No. 6 Overall by the Baltimore Ravens
- M. Ice Hockey. Hinostroza Added to 2016 U.S. Men's National Team Roster
- W. Tennis. One Team, One Fight
- M. Tennis. Monaghan, Hagar Snare All-ACC Honors
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Rematch with Duke Keeps Wheels Turning
- Football. Notre Dame & The NFL Draft
- Baseball. Baseball Falls To Eastern Michigan Wednesday Night
- General News. 2016 Notre Dame O.S.C.A.R.S. -- A Celebration of Excellence
- Cross Country. Seidel Wins Byron V. Kanaley Award at 2016 O.S.C.A.R.S.
- Track. Seidel, Barber and Madison Honored at 2016 O.S.C.A.R.S.