Mar 20, 2014, 8:58 PM EDT
On Thursday morning a plethora of NFL scouts, video crews and media members convened inside the “Gug” to witness Notre Dame Football’s 2014 Pro Day.
During Pro Day, former Irish student-athletes go through a variety of activities that range from “measurables” (height, weight, wingspan, etc…) to on-field (3-cone drill, 40-yard dash, 60-yard shuttle, etc…).
I had the opportunity to have inside-access to Pro Day, which allowed me to see the players go through their entire workouts, beginning at 10:30 A.M. (ET). Many players stood out to me and had great workouts, but I want to focus on former Irish signal caller Tommy Rees.
While I was watching Rees go through his passing tree, I struck up a conversation with an unnamed NFL scout about his thoughts on one of the more accurate Irish quarterbacks in program history.
(The quotes below are from notes I took during the conversation and after Rees’ performance was complete)
“Rees helped himself today with his performance in the workouts,” the unnamed scout said. He went on to say that he “expects Rees to find a home for camp.”
Connecting on 32 of 34 passes during the quarterback portion of Pro Day, Rees showed off his ability to throw the deep ball.
“I’m pleasantly surprised to see his (Rees) arm strength throwing towards the boundaries,” the same scout went on to talk about how many people don’t recognize that Rees’s release on his deep routes is quick and efficient and his release is relatively similar no matter what pattern he is throwing.
Now let’s take a look at Rees’s numbers on the day:
Weight: 210 lbs.
Arm Length: 31 1/8″
Hand: 9 1/8″
Vertical Leap: 31″
Broad Jump: 8’9″
40-Yard Dash: 5.09 seconds
20-Yard Shuttle Run: 4.54 seconds
3-Cone Drill (L-Cone): 7.32 seconds
For more information on Thursday’s Pro Day, including numbers and notes from all Irish players who participated, click here.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- The grind never stops. Take a look inside our 25,000-square foot weight room. #IrishStrong 💪 https://t.co/o3Jweb2ZkG 23 hours ago
- RT @SInow: Harrison Smith, the NFL’s most anonymous star, prefers to fly under the radar (by @Ben_Baskin) on.si.com/2dO5RnT https://t… 1 day ago
- RT @ELITHEMAN1: 🚨🚨I HAVE MADE MY COLLEGE DECISION !!!🚨 🚨 Shoutout to @TomLoy247 for putting this video together for me https://t.co/rbp5gw… 2 days ago
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: #WeAreND 2 days ago
- RT @CjHo1mes: Champions Wanna Play With Champions ☘️☘️... Lets Keep Growing! #IRISHELI17E 💪🏾 2 days ago
- Swimming & Diving. No. 14 Ranked Notre Dame Swimming & Diving In Atlanta for First ACC Meet to Face Georgia Tech
- Football. University of Notre Dame 2016 Shamrock Series
- W. Soccer. Double Overtime Not Enough To Break Scoreless Tie Between #14 Irish, #25 Hokies
- M. Tennis. Kempin Advances To Final Qualifying Round At ITA Regional
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Announces Partnership With Stayer Center
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Takes on Pitt and Virginia Tech in Upcoming Road Trip
- M. Soccer. #4 Irish At Duke Looking For ACC Rebound
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Virginia Tech
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish: ITA Midwest Regional & IU Regional